Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 08:38 AM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
And that can be interpreted two different ways, according to the bias.
Yes of course, but inherently, theists are JUST as vulnerable to the accusation. If they think atheism is unsupportable and invalid and silly, and has no leg to stand on, is no credible alternative to their Rightness ... then why do they spend ALL their time going ON AND ON about it?

It doesn't occur to most of us apostates to even ask such a silly question, but it occurs to them all the time. For some reason we unbelievers don't need that particular straw man, nor find it attractive. The closest we come to that is suggesting that constant preoccupation with gay sex -- even specific KINDS of gay sex -- may reflect a denied attraction to it. And that is irresistible mainly because it p.o.'s them so beautifully, PLUS there's a great deal of actual truth to it, not so much in that they're literally gay as that they must deny the humanity of gay people and thereby deny the possibility that even some eensy-weensie part of them might lean the other way under the right circumstances.

Which suggests a mechanism for the theist seeing covert fascination with god in unbelievers. Maybe it's a projecting of the only way they know how to defend themselves against the Unthinkable -- they do it by otherizing and dehumanizing people who don't agree with them. So they assume that we must be doing the same thing. Indeed, even assuming that we regard god as "unthinkable" is a projection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 04:54 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Did I make a mistake...should I have written this in the Religion section?
Hmm, maybe the people that have odd perceptions of atheists won't read over here.
Oh well, would not be my first mistake! Ha!
Carry on...(btw, I was surprised to see people discussing 'moi'...didn't expect that.)

Old 05-21-2015, 02:10 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Miss Hepburn has an open heart, pretty much chock-full of good intentions.

She's just saying what's true: Atheists are people too.

Yes, and they should be allowed to marry and vote, just like other people.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:32 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Did I make a mistake...should I have written this in the Religion section?
Hmm, maybe the people that have odd perceptions of atheists won't read over here.
Oh well, would not be my first mistake! Ha!
Carry on...(btw, I was surprised to see people discussing 'moi'...didn't expect that.)
Post wherever you like, for our part If the mods feel it needs shifting, shift it they will.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:41 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yes of course, but inherently, theists are JUST as vulnerable to the accusation. If they think atheism is unsupportable and invalid and silly, and has no leg to stand on, is no credible alternative to their Rightness ... then why do they spend ALL their time going ON AND ON about it?

It doesn't occur to most of us apostates to even ask such a silly question, but it occurs to them all the time. For some reason we unbelievers don't need that particular straw man, nor find it attractive. The closest we come to that is suggesting that constant preoccupation with gay sex -- even specific KINDS of gay sex -- may reflect a denied attraction to it. And that is irresistible mainly because it p.o.'s them so beautifully, PLUS there's a great deal of actual truth to it, not so much in that they're literally gay as that they must deny the humanity of gay people and thereby deny the possibility that even some eensy-weensie part of them might lean the other way under the right circumstances.

Which suggests a mechanism for the theist seeing covert fascination with god in unbelievers. Maybe it's a projecting of the only way they know how to defend themselves against the Unthinkable -- they do it by otherizing and dehumanizing people who don't agree with them. So they assume that we must be doing the same thing. Indeed, even assuming that we regard god as "unthinkable" is a projection.
There does seem to be a lot of misperception. The one about the ongoing evolutuion debates leads the believers to suppose that Evolution theory is a tenet of atheism or it is the readon we do without Godfaith.

The odd thing is that we don't talk that much about a possible creator - that's usually brought up by theists trying to get the Godfact on the table so as to build the Bible-god fact on that. I can't recall a discussion that got that far..yes I can. One or two who said there was only the one god and that was the one all the religions believed in (so it was implied) but onlty the Christians had the Belief about that god right. I recall i argues that this was simply the 'which God?' argument in different words and the discussion ended there.

I recall a lot of talk about 'Anto -religionists' in the past and there was a good point there. Organized religion is really what atheists are militant about - not Theism as such. Though of course there is no apparent need for us to believe in gods, afterlifes or divine Creators.

Si the Beleivers really don't seem to get it that it is organized religion we are beefing about, rather than possible gods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism