Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 06:16 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,599 times

Advertisements

I can see it being a nice transition for someone who truly craves the community and belonging of a church, but without the religious trappings. I personally wouldn't be particularly interested, mainly because I spent enough years in church to know that I loathe spending my free time dealing with other people's egos and drama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 07:13 AM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I can see it being a nice transition for someone who truly craves the community and belonging of a church, but without the religious trappings. I personally wouldn't be particularly interested, mainly because I spent enough years in church to know that I loathe spending my free time dealing with other people's egos and drama.
That is a legitimate point. I would definitely be more enthusiastic about what I'm attempting at the UU society if that weren't in play. The reality of course is that it's in play everywhere, and while it's often amplified / colored by theist ideation, it is not really an effect of theism so much as of the human condition. I have ceased involvement in various secular non-profits and charities over the years over just those issues too. I have fired clients over those issues. At the same time, no man is an island, as they say. I'm getting old, my wife would be walking with a cane if she weren't too proud to, and I'm not far behind. In my dotage, I'm going to have to lower my standards if I want community. Why do you think people go into old folk's homes? Most of them hate the idea, much less the reality, and yet just up the road from me the assisted living palace is doubling in size this year. Part of my strategy for staying out of there is to be part of a community that helps each other out and cares for one another as a matter of principle. The other part is buying my way into an aging-in-place organization that will facilitate any in-home care we will need in years to come.

My 72 year old brother just left after visiting here for a week and didn't make it home. He's in the hospital a couple hundred miles from here with some puzzling vertigo issue that overcame him yesterday while they run MRI scans on him. That's me in a dozen or so years. It puts me in mind of a bit of prose I read the other day concerning someone's late mother. She made this comment to her son ... when you get to a certain age, death is no longer a remote possibility, it moves in across the street and you have to stare it down from your front porch. It changes the equation.

Maybe this is at least part of the origin of the "no atheists in foxholes" fantasy that theists are always ginning up. They confuse pragmatic preparation for death, for a fear of death. Or they confuse a fear of the process of dying with a fear of death itself. Death holds no terror for me; oblivion actually appeals to me. It's the process of getting there that's the problem.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:27 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Perhaps the bottom line is that it doesn't really matter. Apart from providing cheap ammunition for the religious snipers.
Atheists - providing they don't step across the line from the Golden Rule to the Asshat Ambience (1) can do what they like.

(1) just to be clear, taking out writs against cafe owners who have napkins with religious quotes on or Bookshops who put cardboard nativity scenes in the window at Yuletide (to give hypothetical examples) or who organize Zombie Jesus marches or Christian Forum trollsquads are getting that way, and tearing down religious posters never mind shooting Muslims in car- parks is what atheism would say is unacceptable behaviour.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:14 PM

531 posts, read 594,713 times
"Altars with pictures of pop idols and famous scientists."

I can imagine Dawkins getting inappropriately aroused by the idea of people kneeling and worshipping at his own altar.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:20 PM

164 posts, read 160,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
"Altars with pictures of pop idols and famous scientists."

I can imagine Dawkins getting inappropriately aroused by the idea of people kneeling and worshipping at his own altar.
Don't be silly. There is no such thing as a Dawkins.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Points of Convergence View Post
Don't be silly. There is no such thing as a Dawkins.
Blasphemer! Hail Darwin! Dawkins is his prophet!

Old 06-15-2015, 01:38 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Blasphemer! Hail Darwin! Dawkins is his prophet!
Aha, just as I said. Collectivization generates orthodoxy and orthodoxy leads to dogma.

Everyone knows that the true prophet of Darwin had to be a direct descendant. You Dawkinsites are following a false prophet, and if there was a hell, you'd certainly be going there as a consequence.

What to do about this? I suggest a 1300 year pointless feud with periodic slaughter.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:42 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,069,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

What to do about this? I suggest a 1300 year pointless feud with periodic slaughter.
Sorry, I have plans....

Old 06-16-2015, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Aha, just as I said. Collectivization generates orthodoxy and orthodoxy leads to dogma.

Everyone knows that the true prophet of Darwin had to be a direct descendant. You Dawkinsites are following a false prophet, and if there was a hell, you'd certainly be going there as a consequence.

Your failrue to understand is palpable The True Successor Of Darwin Is Chosen By Natural Selection, not by mere human - devised family systems. and is to be Known By An Excess Of Capital Letters And Headslaps!!! Now admit defeat or I shall cast you down with an torrent of Bloc Capitals...UNDERLINED!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Sorry, I have plans....
What a pity..my suicide bloviators could have used a good kaboom...

Old 06-16-2015, 07:25 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
So, I see this as a comic hall with a few Monty Python wannabees passing the pipe of peace around while talking **** about a bunch of crazy people who give their life up to siting around with a few Jesus wannabees passing a bowl around collecting money for new vehicle needed to save humans from themselves and a x-con named Satan.

Sort of like we do on here. lol But at this atheist church we round ourselves up for them unknowingly waiting to get shot by the wannabee Jesus followers who've now raised enough money to get that van and amo, and now they will use it to rid the world of the x-con Satans followers, (which we blindly think are Muslims) but to our surprise it's us.

No thanks, I'll wait to be forcefully rounded up thank you very much. I'll stick to the internet and that way I only have to worry about the computer savy random shooter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism