U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 02:10 AM

159 posts, read 146,860 times

Advertisements

I was directed to this topic by another user, which I thought was intriguing and deserving of its own topic. I think the R&S forums are appropriate for it given that it's a kind of fusion liturgy for lack of a better term.

It seems "Atheist Megachurches" are on the rise across the world, complete with congregations and pulpits, Sunday services, altars displaying pictures of pop idols and famous scientists, sermons on secular ethics and cosmic origins, donations and 'tithing', and karaoke and group sing-alongs instead of hymns. The movement even celebrated its first denominational split between hardliners and moderates.

Atheist 'Megachurches' Crop Up Around The World
Believe it or not, atheist churches on the rise deep in the heart of Texas
Atheist mega-churches are the new craze in US and Australia

I spent a lot of yesterday reading up on this phenomenon. It looks like the press dismissed it as a curiosity to begin with, until around the middle of last year when the ball really got rolling on the movement. It looks like it is here to stay with a prerogative to expand actively across major north american cities, across Europe and the rest of the anglosphere.

I'll admit this is the first I ever heard of this movement. I'd be keen to hear what others think of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 02:24 AM

689 posts, read 385,918 times
Well they won't be any worse than the churches of organised religions, like Christianity!

Old 06-13-2015, 02:33 AM

225 posts, read 169,697 times
Now we know where all the former members of the "Brights" movement fled to after it collapsed with attendance in the single digits - basically little more than a night out at the pub. Poor Dawkins. Maybe they should nominate him as pope or high priest.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:03 AM

242 posts, read 197,118 times
Granted, I don't know very many other atheists' here in the DFW area; it's anecdotal of course, but the ones I *do* know aren't the ones calling them "churches" ...that would be mostly the religious (and the media). Personally, I had enough of "church" a long time ago and I'd go Unitarian if I was that hard up for the social connection with other like minds. Unfortunately, the only Unitarian church I've attended here in Dallas was a little bit too close to "a regular church" to make it into my comfort zone. Many of us still connect the term "church" with a lot of other baggage.

"Denominational splits" are pretty well inevitable among a group of people that only share ONE "belief" (...and I prefer the term "conclusion" over "belief" since I merely concluded my former belief was in error). It's like expecting a company bowling league to share all the same values when the only thing they have in common is the company.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:29 AM

18,268 posts, read 8,222,024 times
I understand the desire for community, since it can get mighty lonely to be the only atheist in town. Also, it is appealing to have discussions about religion/spirituality/philosophy or science without constant interruption by hard-core sectarians.

Where I get off the boat is calling it "church" or patterning it after church services.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:43 AM

4,509 posts, read 3,914,694 times
Pass.

I don't do much of organized anything. Not in my basic nature.

Plus, other people are annoying

Old 06-13-2015, 09:25 AM

242 posts, read 197,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I don't do much of organized anything.
Yeah ...not many people would ever attach the word "organized" to me in any context.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:18 AM

16,100 posts, read 17,899,425 times
I can't imagine going to anything *mega* at all much less a megachurch. I don't see the point of this at all.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:36 PM

30,884 posts, read 31,769,092 times
I'd wager that the religious were the ones who called an atheist meeting place a "church"....

Old 06-13-2015, 03:56 PM

25,824 posts, read 13,421,966 times
I seem to recall a thread or two about this a few months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism