Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 11:43 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times

Advertisements

This is a very unrealistic episode, imo. I have never heard an atheist objecting to a family praying over their food. I think that it would have been better if they had switched it up and had a Muslim or Hindu family praying and a Christian objecting. They usually switch things up more on this show than they did in this episode. I would like to see us write to them and ask if they would do something more.

If you haven't heard of or seen this show, here is a description from the website

Quote:
"When you think no one is watching… what would you do? Using hidden cameras, What Would You Do? establishes everyday scenarios and then captures people's reactions. Whether people are compelled to act or mind their own business, John Quiñones reports on their split-second and often surprising decision-making process."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=s4SkVFrQFW4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 12:16 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
What would happen if they switched it around? Have the atheist make some loud public declaration about there being no deity before consuming her meal. Would anyone object to that? Would anyone side with the atheist?

The obvious solution is to enjoy your meal in public without anyone introducing theories of the operations of the cosmos. The faithful can pray silently, can't they? Is the deity in question unable to receive prayer unless it is spoken out loud?

Old 07-28-2015, 12:20 PM

888 posts, read 454,199 times
The woman in this picture looks like she's checking her phone, not praying.

I read an article about this episode, but didn't watch the clip, and agree it is not an everyday scenario.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:28 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
What would happen if they switched it around? Have the atheist make some loud public declaration about there being no deity before consuming her meal. Would anyone object to that? Would anyone side with the atheist?

The obvious solution is to enjoy your meal in public without anyone introducing theories of the operations of the cosmos. The faithful can pray silently, can't they? Is the deity in question unable to receive prayer unless it is spoken out loud?
I object to anybody being loud or butting into a stranger's conversation for any reason when I am eating out.

As long as the praying is at or below the normal noise level for that particular restaurant, I would have no more objection to it than I would to a conversation about baseball stats.

Not my job to police other people's dinner conversation.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:43 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

I agree about a switch-a-roo show, but the long-winded atheist declaration should involve a family meditating on the declarations with their children in normal conversation noise level. Then we can see if any Christians try to get offended or to "help" the children find Jesus.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:40 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
I watched that ( it followed Shark Tank, which I like ) and what pissed me off was the decision to depict an atheist as an ill-mannered , obnoxious person, almost as if that was a generally accepted thing.
And to use the phrase that the praying "made me uncomfortable". Who the .......would ever say that?

Old 07-29-2015, 04:39 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,797,979 times
I had a situation a few days ago that was slightly uncomfortable at a company lunch. When the food came, I was in a conversation with a few people near me. Most of the food had not come yet, but the guy across from me got his and leaned over and began praying while I was speaking. I wasn't being long winded; he would only have had to wait maybe 5 seconds or so. He wasn't very loud, but loud enough for it to be an issue. The look I got from others beside him made it pretty obvious that if I continued to speak over his interruption I would be the "bad guy". In situations like that, I almost feel like the person is saying "Look at me. I pray." to those around him rather than expressing gratitude to a deity.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:48 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I had a situation a few days ago that was slightly uncomfortable at a company lunch. When the food came, I was in a conversation with a few people near me. Most of the food had not come yet, but the guy across from me got his and leaned over and began praying while I was speaking. I wasn't being long winded; he would only have had to wait maybe 5 seconds or so. He wasn't very loud, but loud enough for it to be an issue. The look I got from others beside him made it pretty obvious that if I continued to speak over his interruption I would be the "bad guy". In situations like that, I almost feel like the person is saying "Look at me. I pray." to those around him rather than expressing gratitude to a deity.
....or said his Grace silently.
I do understand the position you were put in and probably would have stopped talking too, just so as not to make a scene, but know, without a doubt, I would have been looking at him all the while
with the same expression given to a person being rude for any reason.
I'm sure, given it was a work related situation, anything more than that may not have been advisable.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:11 AM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
In situations like that, I almost feel like the person is saying "Look at me. I pray." to those around him rather than expressing gratitude to a deity.
What possible other motivation would there be to pray aloud in front of others who may or may not share your beliefs?

When society was more homogenous around this issue you could use the excuse, semi-plausibly, that you were "setting a good example" for others, but even that is inherently controlling and judgmental.

As a matter of fact Jesus explicitly taught that it is better to pray in secret, and addressed precisely this issue.

Quote:
And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Such Christians ignore one of the more sensible bits of advice Jesus is said to have given, assuming for the sake of argument that prayer itself is of any use in the first place.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:11 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,797,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
....or said his Grace silently.
I do understand the position you were put in and probably would have stopped talking too, just so as not to make a scene, but know, without a doubt, I would have been looking at him all the while
with the same expression given to a person being rude for any reason.
I'm sure, given it was a work related situation, anything more than that may not have been advisable.
I was faux respectful, quietly waited and acted as if it never happened; I was just a paused program for a few seconds. It did make me more aware and I noticed a couple of others pause very briefly with bent head before eating but they were silent and waited for a private moment (or what is as close as you can get to one in that setting). Others praying doesn't bother me when it isn't intrusive. I even thank people when they tell me they will be praying for me or people I care about; that is their way of saying they care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism