Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 07:19 AM

589 posts, read 331,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
died, woke up, and flew way? how did he do that again? they would answer it's a mystery. I don't follow people that are willing to except "mystery" as a trumpet to form up the ranks statement. The big one for me was "we are going to hell after he made us?" Even a nine year old can see through that.
What do you mean by flew away? We do go to heaven after we die that's all throughout the Bible.

Last edited by David in Christ; 01-25-2016 at 08:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
So you do not believe that god is omnipresent which means you don't believe he is omnipotent. Am I correct that this is the basis of your theodicy?
Well I'm sure he has his ways but I do not think that naturally he can be everywhere at once but I do believe he is all powerful.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:29 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Christ View Post
Yes but do you think evil could have been put in the bible by evil authors to trick confuse and test people? I do not think that all the bible is good.
Then it is up to you to decide what parts are evil and what parts are good. At least you do not necessarily have to be a hypocrite to do that, as most fundamentalists have to be -- saying, as they do on one hand, that the Bible is infallible and inerrant, and then cherry picking its teachings anyway. All a fundamentalist has to do to be a hypocrite is to wear mixed fabrics while decrying homosexuality. On the other hand you just declare the parts you don't want to follow "evil". Of course the potential for hypocrisy still exists ... depending on how objective and consistent your criteria for identifying the "evil" parts are ;-)

Also, it isn't like most fundamentalists don't have a mechanism of their own to disavow chunks of the scripture, because they can say something is "not for today" (OT laws or signs and wonders for instance). It's just that they are using an inconveniently objective and broad brush. They say the OT is superseded by the NT but then have to figure out ways to still embrace the parts of the OT that they want, whereas you can go in an snip out the nasty bits surgically with your special glasses that reveal "evil" or "tricky" passages that "test" or "confuse" you.

Beyond all that I suppose that both you and most fundamentalists can declare some passages less literal or more symbolic / metaphorical than others, although there you are playing with fire that may lead to the horrors of liberal theology, which just breaks down and turns the Ten Commandments into the Ten Suggestions.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Well I'm sure he has his ways but I do not think that naturally he can be everywhere at once but I do believe he is all powerful.
If he is all powerful then there is nothing he can't do, including being everywhere at once, or indeed structuring reality any way he wants in the first place.

Most adherents to the Abrahamic religions have historically taught a so-called "tri-omni" god: omnipotent (all powerful), omniscient (all knowing) and omnibenevolent (all good). You have to throw one or more of those under the bus, however, to reconcile god with human suffering. If god is good he doesn't want humans to suffer, yet they suffer still. So if god is to be good then he has to be unaware of suffering and/or limited in what he can do about it (as you suggest). If he's aware and unlimited, yet does not act, then he's not benevolent (as frequent poster Eusebius posits a god who authors and allows evil that good may come of it).

Old 01-25-2016, 07:37 AM

The ten commandments should be followed.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
If he is all powerful then there is nothing he can't do, including being everywhere at once, or indeed structuring reality any way he wants in the first place.

Most adherents to the Abrahamic religions have historically taught a so-called "tri-omni" god: omnipotent (all powerful), omniscient (all knowing) and omnibenevolent (all good). You have to throw one or more of those under the bus, however, to reconcile god with human suffering. If god is good he doesn't want humans to suffer, yet they suffer still. So if god is to be good then he has to be either unaware of suffering or limited in what he can do about it (as you suggest). If he's aware and unlimited, yet does not act, then he's not benevolent (as frequent poster Eusebius posits a god who authors and allows evil that good may come of it).
They suffer because of free will, evil men and evil fallen angels from another galaxy.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
The ten commandments should be followed.
That is your assertion and most of Christendom is in agreement with it, which is why I cautioned you as a fundamentalist not to overplay your hand when interpreting inconvenient / "confusing" passages as non-literal.

It was just a passing side point though. The main thing we are conversing about is that by saying that god can't be everywhere you are saying he isn't a free agent in his own universe. He's not all powerful and all knowing if he's not present everywhere and everywhen.

When I was a Christian I did not see the point of being one unless I was going to embrace the sort of deity who has no limits. My guess is that you don't either, but you haven't thought through your hand-waving dismissal of a problematic aspect of reality. Be careful about saying god "can't" do a thing. You are in danger of exposing him for the fraudulent invention of humans that he is.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
They suffer because of free will, evil men and evil fallen angels from another galaxy.
Then god is a prisoner to human will, and is weaker than evil men and fallen angels (from whatever galaxy, it doesn't matter -- although I have to ask, where did you get the "from another galaxy" idea? That's a new one).

Old 01-25-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Then god is a prisoner to human will, and is weaker than evil men and fallen angels (from whatever galaxy, it doesn't matter -- although I have to ask, where did you get the "from another galaxy" idea? That's a new one).
If people make free will choices, then that's their decision, what can God do then but warn them in the Bible and speak to their conscience? If they refuse what can God do?

The God of this galaxy has no fallen angels.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:23 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,651 times
Quote:
What do you mean by flew away? We do go to heaven after we die that's all throughout the Bible.
Why does it bother you to say he flew away instead of "ascended into heaven"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism