U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you always been an agnostic or athiest?
Yes - I was raised agnostic or athiest. 10 17.54%
No - I was raised with some religious background and chose to be agnostic or athiest. 47 82.46%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 07:50 AM

4,514 posts, read 3,921,774 times

Advertisements

One of the other threads brought this up, and I was curious to find out the results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 08:35 AM

6,867 posts, read 3,793,329 times
As usual with these polls, I fall somewhere in between.
I went to a church school, but that's because all schools in the UK are essentially church schools.
I also went to church but not usually with my parents - I was a girl guide (girl scout) and part of that was going to church once a month. Other than that my church attendance was Christmas, Easter and weddings. I attended a couple of Sunday schools but loathed it, so my parents didn't force me to go back. My religious upbringing was wishy-washy and I suspect my parents were secretly atheists since we never discussed religion at home. Going to church was just something you did... well, just because that was what people did. I remember once asking my mother if she believed in god and she said she didn't really know. That was the sum of any religious discussion with my parents. Never even thought of asking my dad for some reason. It just wasn't an issue in our house. I do remember both my parents being quite scathing about people who displayed crosses prominently in their houses.

So I didn't believe in god from an early age**. I don't know if it was a 'choice' exactly. I've said before, I don't think you choose what to believe - it's just something you arrive at by means of what you understand / learn about the world. My brother was always very into science and some of that enthusiasm rubbed off on me. We both watched 'cosmos' on TV - I'd have been 10 or 12 years old I think, and our parents took us to excellent natural history museums (fortunate to have excellent local ones) so I never though that creation stories were anything other than myths.

I'd probably fit better into your "I was raised with some religious background and chose to be agnostic or athiest." category better than the first one, except that I don't think you choose what to believe.

**However, it wasn't until well into adulthood that I realised I was atheist.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:35 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,883,191 times
I created another poll for people who answer no to this one:
Converts from a faith - were you ever doubt free?

the point of the other poll is to find out how many "true believers" convert. I was always a doubter and most of the formerly religious I know express similar sentiments. Just wondering how common it is.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I went to a church school, but that's because all schools in the UK are essentially church schools.
Interesting, I did not know that.

Can you explain why that is?

Old 11-12-2015, 09:45 AM

6,867 posts, read 3,793,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Interesting, I did not know that.

Can you explain why that is?
Because there's no separation of church and state in the UK. The Queen is head of the church and all schools have compulsory RE lesson up to around grade 9 as far as I remember. That might have changed now. RE lessons weren't really what you'd class as lessons in religion though. It was more learning moral lessons and learning about other cultures.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:00 AM

1,387 posts, read 2,167,439 times
I picked the first option, although like Cruithne, that is not entirely accurate. My folks joined the Unitarian church when I was young. Religion was not spoken of much when I was growing up. I wasn't raised an atheist, just non-religious, and not indoctrinated in any specific belief system. I did not self identify as an atheist until I was a teen, even though I clearly was one.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Because there's no separation of church and state in the UK. The Queen is head of the church and all schools have compulsory RE lesson up to around grade 9 as far as I remember. That might have changed now. RE lessons weren't really what you'd class as lessons in religion though. It was more learning moral lessons and learning about other cultures.
Thank you. Learn something new every day!

Old 11-12-2015, 11:00 AM

18,308 posts, read 8,248,695 times
Quote:
What makes this really interesting is that "irreligion" is the "...second-largest viewpoint on religion after Christianity, larger than the combined populations of non-Christian religions in the UK, and also the largest growth between the two censuses." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreli...United_Kingdom

So apparently, religious education in schools does not do a very good job of indoctrinating kids! Or at least the UK version of it, which actually sounds rather innocuous.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:12 PM

3,881 posts, read 7,312,942 times
My response doesn't fit so perfectly with the options.

I wasn't necessarily raised as an atheist but religion was not a part of my childhood environment. It was never taught at home. So I was a natural skeptic by nature, when introduced to it bu friends.

And I didn't really chose to be an atheist. I just happened to realize one day that I was, after discovering the definition online.

So for me, it was more of an organic process, than choosing and being taught.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:16 PM

Location: Where rhotic consonants are either absent or intrusive
8,903 posts, read 5,246,825 times
Born to two agnostic atheists (one catholic apostate and one jewish apostate). Became a born-again christian at age 20. Started to lose my faith at around 33. Got baptized again because the first one obviously either wore off or just didn't take. Explored deism for a while, reveling in the writings of Paine, Alcott, and Tindal. Celebrated my 35th birthday by coming to terms with the realization that I just don't know and don't really give a ****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism