Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 10:26 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times

Advertisements

Remind me ..as an higgorant Limesucker..GoP means..Group of prats? Ghastly old pettifoggers? Gathering of prehistoric..?

It can't mean 'Grand old..' anything as they are relative newcomers, having coalesced out the post confederate state effort to repeal slave liberation and somehow took the name Republican which before meant what Democrat does now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 10:56 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,385,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Remind me ..as an higgorant Limesucker..GoP means..Group of prats? Ghastly old pettifoggers? Gathering of prehistoric..?

It can't mean 'Grand old..' anything as they are relative newcomers, having coalesced out the post confederate state effort to repeal slave liberation and somehow took the name Republican which before meant what Democrat does now.

Well, there are many different things people call the GOP, and other than the Republican's, no one calls them the Grand Old Party. More likely to here...

Greedy Old Party
Greed Over Peace
Guardians of Petroleum
Government Oppression of the People
Global Oil Pirates
Greedy One Percent
Guess Our Price
Greedy Old Puppets

Well, I think you get the idea.

I may try to come join you guys if one of them manages to get voted into office in next years election. A good friend of mine has family outside Cambridge, maybe they could sponsor me or something? I would lose faith in this country if we voted one of those clowns in. It has nothing to do with their religion however.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:15 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,838,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
No atheist or non believer I know would ever say that. Why would we even think that? Just because you guys think terrible things about us doesn't mean we do the same toward you.

I have no issue with Atheists or Agnostics. I held myself out as an agnostic for nearly 2 decades. I strongly believe that everyone is on their own spiritual quest for answers. I think that equating Atheism to rapists is disgusting, but don't deny that Atheists say mutually disgusting things about Christians, Conservatives, etc., with whom they vehemently disagree. Which can be ironic, since I am good friends with a couple of staunch conservative Atheists.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Ok. I was rather tickled by finding Someone at least who said what I was thinking. I don't know the man or his reputation, at all and it makes no difference to my view - or his - that Cruz is not the person the US needs for president. He did not - I repeat - say he had changed his mind, only that it was an inappropriate remark for a judge to make about a presidential candidate.

I agree. Eyestate's comment is misinformed at best. A person who is fit to be president can be a Christian - most of them were - so long as they are fit to do the job. And I doubt that any of us would say that Christians were as untrustworthy as rapists or more so.

I never said he changed his mind, I said he admitted that his opinion violated judicial code.

Perhaps I am misinformed with regard to Atheists as a whole, but I have heard just as derogatory comments towards Christians from self-identified Atheists.

I don't agree with the finding in the study as I have both Christian and Atheist friends, neither of which I would ever liken to any criminal. Nor do I demean them or their personal beliefs.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Yes it is. I do not care one iota about what the President's personal beliefs are, unless those beliefs (like everyone of the GOP nominees at the moment) are derogatory or meant to show others as being "less worthy" or some other such nonsense. An individual Christian (or atheist, or Buddhist, or "pick your group) may be less trustworthy, but it certainly wouldn't be BECAUSE they are Christian (or atheist, or Buddhist, or "pick your group").

There are a lot of people who like to lump everyone in a group together, but that just isn't reality.

Paging Alanis Morrissette.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
I have no issue with Atheists or Agnostics. I held myself out as an agnostic for nearly 2 decades. I strongly believe that everyone is on their own spiritual quest for answers. I think that equating Atheism to rapists is disgusting, but don't deny that Atheists say mutually disgusting things about Christians, Conservatives, etc., with whom they vehemently disagree. Which can be ironic, since I am good friends with a couple of staunch conservative Atheists.
I have never seen an atheist say anything as crazy as "Christians are more untrustworthy than rapists". If you have, then so be it, but I personally have never seen or heard an atheist say anything like that. On the contrary, the religious on this very forum seem to do so daily. They liken gay people to pedophiles, for instance.

Quote:
Paging Alanis Morrissette.
Yes, because saying a group of Presidential nominees (Which only about 4 or 5 matter, and those are the ones I am referring to) all bear a resemblance and say strikingly uniformed and ignorant things is certainly the same as saying millions of atheists (or Christians or whoever) are all the same.... I could provide proof for you of their ignorance if you would like me to? I am not averse to bringing proof to the table if you haven't seen it for yourself.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:02 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
An article delves into Ted Cruz's comments about atheism and the presidency.

Ted Cruz: Atheists shouldn't be president. Why are they so vilified?

Thoughts?

It's Rafael Cruz.

Why would anyone with more than three brain cells capable of firing simultaneously give a flip?

Old 11-25-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Well, there are many different things people call the GOP, and other than the Republican's, no one calls them the Grand Old Party. More likely to here...

Greedy Old Party
Greed Over Peace
Guardians of Petroleum
Government Oppression of the People
Global Oil Pirates
Greedy One Percent
Guess Our Price
Greedy Old Puppets

Well, I think you get the idea.

I may try to come join you guys if one of them manages to get voted into office in next years election. A good friend of mine has family outside Cambridge, maybe they could sponsor me or something? I would lose faith in this country if we voted one of those clowns in. It has nothing to do with their religion however.
You would be most welcome, but should be prepared for a shock. Brits are unwashed, slovenly and incredibly snobbish. We would rather than spend half an hour doing what we should, spend an hour and a half excusing ourselves for not doing it.

I would also mention the wretched cuisine (unless you go for the pricier places(1) appalling TV and disgusting politicians, but here, by all accounts, you beat us.

(1) though gastropubs have left behind the warm beer and a packet o' crisps regime.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I never said he changed his mind, I said he admitted that his opinion violated judicial code.
Indeed you did not. I am just saying that the reason he withdrew has nothing to do with what he actually thinks of Cruz.

Quote:
Perhaps I am misinformed with regard to Atheists as a whole, but I have heard just as derogatory comments towards Christians from self-identified Atheists.
We can all learn something. If we are wiling to lean then that is fine, and your willingness to take on board some info about atheists does you credit. It is true that we sometimes (in fact, quite often )say stony things about Christians. But almost always with a particular and possibly minority in mind. I would point out that Matt Dillahunty (Austin atheists and an outstanding spokesbod) did a special broadcast on 'don't call theists stupid' (1). This is a particular failing of atheists - they confuse irrational and faith -based thinking with stupidity. It isn't as we can tell from a deconvert who, almost immediately stops talking crap and begins talking sense.

Quote:
I don't agree with the finding in the study as I have both Christian and Atheist friends, neither of which I would ever liken to any criminal. Nor do I demean them or their personal beliefs.
Good for you. When the rest of Theism takes the same view. we'll stop banging our shoe on the desk.

(1) in fact worth posting. Required reading for atheists - and maybe theists, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDDmZ6sK--Q

Old 11-25-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
You would be most welcome, but should be prepared for a shock. Brits are unwashed, slovenly and incredibly snobbish. We would rather than spend half an hour doing what we should, spend an hour and a half excusing ourselves for not doing it.

I would also mention the wretched cuisine (unless you go for the pricier places(1) appalling TV and disgusting politicians, but here, by all accounts, you beat us.

(1) though gastropubs have left behind the warm beer and a packet o' crisps regime.
Oh, I could deal with the unwashed, slovenly, snobbish people and bad cuisine (we have plenty of these things here too), and procrastination is my middle name! I also quite enjoy the TV shows I have seen from your neck of the woods, and Netflix is always an option!

No, in all seriousness, if the people are anything like the friend of mine (Who I went to high school with and played rugby with for several years, best man at his wedding and he at mine) and his family, I would have no problem giving it a shot. The only problem? I am a big American Football fan, and not sure how that would work over there... Hopefully Americans are smart enough not to vote those clowns into office, and I won't have to worry about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism