Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 11:09 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
We call it just a bonus. We find out how much it's worth at the end of the year but it's not paid til Jan anyway.

Religion has never come up in any of the workplace's I've been in. It's not even discussed really. I've worked for some smaller companies and it was just called a "year-end" bonus and everyone got it.

Christmas for me isn't even religious. The entire premise may be the birth of Christ, but for the most part it's been just a American Tradition for me. Just yesterday I watched 4 hours of Xmas programming with the kids. Not once was there mention of religion, or God or Jesus. Instead it was lessons in morality, helping out those less fortunate than you, and overall goodwill and caring about people. Good solid values that are worth promoting regardless of the religious undertones.
If Christmas were a strictly religious holiday, there would be no Christmas bonus. There is no extra expense arising from being religious. The extra expenses arise from gift giving, social gatherings, elaborate meals, decorations, travel, etc. Those are the cultural traditions of Christmas, not the religious ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 11:11 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Completely agree. Let's check out that other post of his that has been mentioned..

How very Christian of you Robert. The gospel according to Robert... Be a jerk to all who do not believe in your fairy tales.

Never mind, the fact that you would be breaking the law by doing these things, why would you be such a jerk to your employees? I am going to go ahead and call BS on this one anyways. No one this stupid could possibly own their own business, as he would have been sued out of business by now.
I would think that if Robert's story were true, he would not employ an atheist in the first place. Upon discovering he had somehow hired an atheist, he would find a reason to get rid of them.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:18 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I would think that if Robert's story were true, he would not employ an atheist in the first place. Upon discovering he had somehow hired an atheist, he would find a reason to get rid of them.
You would think so. I am not sure why he has such a hatred for atheists, if the story is even true. Last I checked, his beliefs directly contradict what Christianity supposedly is. Hating someone, acting like a jerk, and treating them differently would certainly NOT be what Jesus would do.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:11 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
You would think so. I am not sure why he has such a hatred for atheists, if the story is even true. Last I checked, his beliefs directly contradict what Christianity supposedly is. Hating someone, acting like a jerk, and treating them differently would certainly NOT be what Jesus would do.

It appears from the other threads he has started his only interest is getting people riled up. Go to his list of threads he has started and the ones that have nothing to do with religion or atheism are just as pointless as this one.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
It appears from the other threads he has started his only interest is getting people riled up. Go to his list of threads he has started and the ones that have nothing to do with religion or atheism are just as pointless as this one.
It does appear that is the case. Just another person here trolling along.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:19 PM

903 posts, read 583,535 times
I'm a Christian and this story is bothersome. How in the world are you demonstrating God's grace, mercy or truth with actions like that? God doesn't want to force us to acknowledge Him. He puts the truth out there, it is for us to accept and actions like the story certainly wouldn't make any atheist likely to come to the faith. If a company is giving out bonuses, everyone should be eligible based on relevant criteria, religious beliefs not being one of those.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:55 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
It's interesting how the OP thinks it's okay when it's Christians discriminating against atheists but the reverse could also happen. What would you think if you worked at a company where everyone was an atheist but you. Given the fact that you are the lone Christian, you would not be included in getting a bonus when everyone else did. Looking at the reaction that many Christians have had to simply putting up a billboard that they find offensive, this sort of thing would cause violent riots and national hysteria. The fact that this is happening to the lone atheist rather than the lone Christian doesn't make it okay. Also, threatening to sue would be a micro aggression compared to what would happen if this situation were flipped around.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:20 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,214,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Frost View Post
Or would you pick your battles wisely?

I have a story to regale you with. Two years ago at my old job, 12 of us were told we would be getting a $500 dollar Christmas bonus on the upcoming paycheck. Naturally, the lone atheist was not included on this.

Now, is this illegal? Perhaps. Did the atheist threaten to sue? Yes.

But of course the law simply says things have to be equal among these things. So how did the boss make it equal? Well he cancelled Christmas bonuses for everyone of course! Everyone was to get equally NOTHING besides their regular paycheck. And of course being the honest man my boss was, he told us EXACTLY why we weren't getting bonuses after all.

Now hated by all her co-workers, the atheist did not come back to work the next day. But with her gone we ended up getting them anyway.
HER???? YOU HIRED A WOMAN??? DID YOU EVEN CHECK WITH HER HUSBAND FIRST????

Quote:
There was a similar situation that occurred at my brother's company. Only his boss was a former drill instructor, and he carried over military style discipline into his company. See, in boot camp, when ONE member of the platoon does something the DI doesn't like, the entire platoon gets to do intense PT or perform some highly disliked duty while the lone offender gets to stand around and watch. A gift for the whole platoon from YOU. That way the DI NEVER has to make sure you fly straight again, your fellow recruits will more than happily do that for him.

Trust me, this works WONDERS in the private sector as well. Because the same thing happened, lone atheist wasn't going to get a christmas bonus. Threatened to sue. So instead of canceling them for everyone, my brother's boss GAVE the atheist his bonus, and called a company meeting to publicly thank the atheist for being the company activist, and announced that as a reward for doing it, while everyone else needs to come in and work a mandatory shift on Christmas day (Noone was supposed to work christmas) the atheist gets the day off still.

A christmas gift to the whole company from the atheist!

My brother tells me that th atheist WOULD have ended up in the hospital if he had returned to the factory on the 26th. But naturally, he never returned to that job.
Yep...gotta keep them pesky atheists inline somehow. Ain't nobody allowed to not believe in JESUS. Good on you Ro-Fro & your brother Bro-Fro...good on you both and MERRY CHRISTMAS!! And a special gift for you boys....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHKwmwDQNjA

Old 12-11-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
HER???? YOU HIRED A WOMAN??? DID YOU EVEN CHECK WITH HER HUSBAND FIRST????

Yep...gotta keep them pesky atheists inline somehow. Ain't nobody allowed to not believe in JESUS. Good on you Ro-Fro & your brother Bro-Fro...good on you both and MERRY CHRISTMAS!! And a special gift for you boys....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHKwmwDQNjA

+1!! Can't rep you right now, but I think you hit the nail on the head with this dude!

Old 12-17-2015, 03:25 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Frost View Post
Or would you pick your battles wisely?

I have a story to regale you with. Two years ago at my old job, 12 of us were told we would be getting a $500 dollar Christmas bonus on the upcoming paycheck. Naturally, the lone atheist was not included on this.

Now, is this illegal? Perhaps. Did the atheist threaten to sue? Yes.

But of course the law simply says things have to be equal among these things. So how did the boss make it equal? Well he cancelled Christmas bonuses for everyone of course! Everyone was to get equally NOTHING besides their regular paycheck. And of course being the honest man my boss was, he told us EXACTLY why we weren't getting bonuses after all.

Now hated by all her co-workers, the atheist did not come back to work the next day. But with her gone we ended up getting them anyway.

There was a similar situation that occurred at my brother's company. Only his boss was a former drill instructor, and he carried over military style discipline into his company. See, in boot camp, when ONE member of the platoon does something the DI doesn't like, the entire platoon gets to do intense PT or perform some highly disliked duty while the lone offender gets to stand around and watch. A gift for the whole platoon from YOU. That way the DI NEVER has to make sure you fly straight again, your fellow recruits will more than happily do that for him.

Trust me, this works WONDERS in the private sector as well. Because the same thing happened, lone atheist wasn't going to get a christmas bonus. Threatened to sue. So instead of canceling them for everyone, my brother's boss GAVE the atheist his bonus, and called a company meeting to publicly thank the atheist for being the company activist, and announced that as a reward for doing it, while everyone else needs to come in and work a mandatory shift on Christmas day (Noone was supposed to work christmas) the atheist gets the day off still.

A christmas gift to the whole company from the atheist!

My brother tells me that th atheist WOULD have ended up in the hospital if he had returned to the factory on the 26th. But naturally, he never returned to that job.
yeah that is a good story. The athiest helped That believer publicily fixed his mistake. I give two men credit for being men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism