Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 08:12 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times

Advertisements

Why would an employee's faith or lack of faith ever come up in a professional setting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 11:07 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Frost View Post
You missed the whole point didn't you?

When the company responds by cancelling everyone's bonus because of you, all has been made equal and you no longer have a case.

Have fun with your co-workers.

Another reason this is not a wise battle to pick is because those who sue an employer need to get used to just one phrase for the rest of their lives: "Do you want fries with that?"
Really, that was your whole point? Because the point that I got is that some Christians still don't seem to get the meaning of Christmas. And they put too much emphasis on money, too.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:58 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Or "Go fly a kite" which translates into "I can do what I like because I have the power to" And the religion gives them the incentive to do what they like.

It is an interesting perspective on the idea of 'No backup morality'. The idea that, without religion, people would behave like jerks.

In such cases, their jerkey behaviour is "Good" because it is done to promote theism or at least swipe at non -theism.

But if such a person loses their faith, they have no humanist morality to fall back on. They just behave like jerks towards everyone.

There are all sorts of implications and ramifications of this but the bottom line is that humanist morality is better than religious.

I'm not sure this guy is really going to act like such a jerk. I think he is just putting the 'you atheists celebrate Christmas' gambit in a hard -hitting way. Most people do in fact have a humanist morality and wouldn't act in such a way. And in fact when they do lose faith they don't act like jerks - they act like humanist atheists.

The morality and their reasoning suddenly straightens out without the distortions of fiddling logic and reason for their Faith or skewing ethics and Morality with supposed religious commandments. That's why I don't buy this 'civilization would collapse without religion' argument - I think it would get better.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-07-2015 at 12:09 AM..

Old 12-07-2015, 05:04 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
I would not sue. My resume would be out and about and that employer would get a kiss my lily white .... you know what on my way out the door with my excellent skills.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:51 AM

7,245 posts, read 7,072,982 times
Arequipa, I can't rep you again, so here's a smilie.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:42 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Arequipa, I can't rep you again, so here's a smilie.

I'll take reps, smilies, euros, dollars..stamps...I'm totally tolerant..

*Chatroom mode* I'm going to have to stay away for a while. That analysis of the Gospel of Peter, the chapters all set out just needing the work and the sprawling nativity chapter are lying there -as Grieg said about his unfinished 2nd quartet "Like an old piece of cheese" and I really must crack on.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-07-2015 at 06:56 AM..

Old 12-07-2015, 08:06 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Over $5k+, yes. Otherwise not worth time, hassle, legal fees.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:16 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
But I am reasonably sure that the average workplace would simply give out "holiday bonus" regardless of whether someone was Christian or not..
We call it just a bonus. We find out how much it's worth at the end of the year but it's not paid til Jan anyway.

Religion has never come up in any of the workplace's I've been in. It's not even discussed really. I've worked for some smaller companies and it was just called a "year-end" bonus and everyone got it.

Christmas for me isn't even religious. The entire premise may be the birth of Christ, but for the most part it's been just a American Tradition for me. Just yesterday I watched 4 hours of Xmas programming with the kids. Not once was there mention of religion, or God or Jesus. Instead it was lessons in morality, helping out those less fortunate than you, and overall goodwill and caring about people. Good solid values that are worth promoting regardless of the religious undertones.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:18 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
I still want to know why an individual's faith would be a topic of discussion in a business setting. Never have I revealed my religious leanings to anyone at work. With one exception, none of my friends or acquaintances know either, because I live in a populous area where few people attend the same religious institution. Outside of my immediate family, it never comes up.

Furthermore, the above poster has raised a great point. Many companies do not give a Christmas bonus, instead providing an annual bonus tied to the end of the fiscal year, which does not coincide with the winter holidays. Or they may give quarterly or even monthly bonuses, depending on the industry. Although I received a few Christmas bonuses during my working years, my husband's annual bonus has always been awarded in the spring.

Last edited by randomparent; 12-07-2015 at 08:30 AM..

Old 12-07-2015, 10:25 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The OP is a knob.

He has no life, so makes one up online.

Completely agree. Let's check out that other post of his that has been mentioned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Frost View Post
Glad you agree that Christmas is not for atheists. That's why my lone atheist employee will be the only one without a Christmas bonus and the only one required to work Christmas day.

I can't wait to see his Bob Cratchet impersonation when he hears the news.

How very Christian of you Robert. The gospel according to Robert... Be a jerk to all who do not believe in your fairy tales.

Never mind, the fact that you would be breaking the law by doing these things, why would you be such a jerk to your employees? I am going to go ahead and call BS on this one anyways. No one this stupid could possibly own their own business, as he would have been sued out of business by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism