Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 08:43 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,385,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
thank you for your thoughtful response, please see post #62
had this stayed in Religion and Spirituality where it originated, other topics could be addressed; however since the moderators have moved the topic to Atheism and Agnosticism, it is not permitted to discuss other religions and belief systems.
Oh, how very convenient for you....

In other words, "I can't answer the question without A) Sounding like a hypocrite, or B) showing how ridiculous the OP was."

I fell pretty confident that someone asking you a question that has everything to do with the OP would be permitted, but sure, go ahead and hide behind which subforum it is in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 09:05 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
The point is to poke the atheists.

So, how was your day, somebodynew?

Old 12-21-2015, 09:45 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
The point is to poke the atheists.

So, how was your day, somebodynew?
I don't even see how? Is he trying to gotcha into somehow getting atheists to pray? What would be the point to that?

Old 12-21-2015, 09:45 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
good question
if your family was starving due to a food shortage and riots and looting, and the neighbor down the street said there was ham at the hardware store because someone had hidden some there in a safe place, would you check it out as a last resort because you don't want your family to starve, and you're willing to try anything due to the crisis and your concern for your loved ones?
I see that in this thread you do not wish to answer questions but feel free to insert more crazy scenarios.

Rather than going to the hardware store in the midst of riots for food and only on a rumour I would take concrete actions to feed my family such as going to my brother-in-laws place where he has a huge garden, tons of grain and 150 cows. But no hams. Being from a Jewish background I can only eat ham if I have milk with it. Without going to his farm we could survive maybe a month or three on what we have at home so I would expect the local home depot to be out of ham by then. Any riots occurring in Canada happen in June when there are gardens to raid or market gardens with some food or I could be growing lettuce by that time of the year. Riots are much more likely to occur due to loss of a playoff round in the NHL than due to lack of food.

During riots and food shortages, rumours of ham at the hardware store are more likley than not to be false and I would treat that rumour much the same as I would treat the concept that the world needs me to pray to nothing in order to save my family and all of humanity. I would rather do an action that would help myself, my family or all of humanity than to pretrend I am doing something and perhaps in the hardware ham scenario make it less likely that I could look after my family.

The rumour is true though that there is half of a cottage ham in our fridge right now so if you are facing food shortages and riots, don't come to my house as the ham will be gone before you can get here.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:50 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I don't even see how? Is he trying to gotcha into somehow getting atheists to pray? What would be the point to that?

But we do not have to pray to a God, just simply pray to a ____________. I still do not understand what a prayer if it is not addressed to something with the power to answer said prayer. How is it different from hoping or wanting?

Old 12-21-2015, 09:57 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,213,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I see that in this thread you do not wish to answer questions but feel free to insert more crazy scenarios.
Just another theist who doesn't practice what they preach.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:05 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
But we do not have to pray to a God, just simply pray to a ____________. I still do not understand what a prayer if it is not addressed to something with the power to answer said prayer. How is it different from hoping or wanting?
No clue.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Just another theist who doesn't practice what they preach.
And with a sick mind. Not surprising.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I suspect to feel superior, like most theists.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:27 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
I think s/he is "proving" to her/himself that atheists don't care about other people. People stuck in boxes will do almost anything to entertain themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism