Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 04:44 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
"Naturalist" sounds like a euphemism for "nudist".
Does, doesn't it (Natur-ist). I tend to equate materialism and naturalism and the knock -on from that must be rejection of the god -claim. Or maybe the other way around. It's ok, because all kinds of questions can be asked of both ends and it's the same - no good evidence either for a god or for Something More than a materialist/naturalist existence.

Quote:
Also, the word is already taken, for an expert in natural history, or secondarily, one who practices naturalism in art or literature.
True. That's why why I combine the words materialist-(1) naturalism. And that's ok in a particular discussion. Say 'Atheist' and everyone knows (or think they do) what it is about.

(1) I was surprised an a bit appalled to find that apparently meant a flat denial of the possibility of anything but mechanical processes. That obviously is open to attack, but is apparently ..hang on..Metaphysical naturalism and we (or I) take methodological naturalism as the working default explanation for Life, the universe and everything, based not on what we don't know but on what we do.

(Wiki)
  • Naturalism (philosophy) is any of several philosophical stances wherein all phenomena or hypotheses commonly labeled as supernatural are either false or not inherently different from natural phenomena or hypotheses.
  • Methodological naturalism, naturalism that holds that science is to be done without reference to supernatural causes; also refers to a methodological assumption in the philosophy of religion that observable events are fully explainable by natural causes without reference to the supernatural
  • Metaphysical naturalism, a form of naturalism that holds that the cosmos consists only of objects studied by the natural sciences, and does not include any immaterial or intentional realities
  • Naturalist, a term for a person involved in the study of life forms, or "Natural history"
  • Liberal naturalism, a heterodox form of naturalism in the conceptual space between scientific naturalism and supernaturalism
  • Ethical naturalism, the theory that ethical terms can be defined in non-ethical terms, namely, descriptive terms mainly from the natural sciences
  • Spiritual naturalism, an approach to spirituality that is devoid of supernaturalism
  • Religious naturalism, religious institutions, rituals, doctrines and communities which do not include supernatural beliefs
  • Humanistic naturalism emphasises scientific reasoning as a basis for humane behavior
  • Sociological naturalism is the view that the natural world and the social world are roughly identical and governed by similar principles
  • Political naturalism is a politic and legal system based on the belief in the existence of a fair natural law
  • Naturalistic observation is an empirical method of study by which the researcher introduces no outside stimulus, instead witnessing behavior as it naturally occurs in the environment. (Wiki)
see also Naturalistic Christianity.
They say:

These Christians are much like Thomas Jefferson, who view(ed the story) of Jesus as a guide for living, but (they/we) deny any supernatural aspects (Jefferson even created a bible with all of the supernatural elements removed). ... we now have a clearer understanding of some of the ethical teachings of the historic Jesus, removed from the mythology. Naturalistic Christians have a different take on God, salvation, the ‘Christ’, and many other Christian concepts that do not personify or rely on supernatural claims, but make sense within a naturalistic worldview.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 01-07-2016 at 05:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 09:24 AM

1,333 posts, read 882,848 times
Quote:

Also, the word is already taken, for an expert in natural history, or secondarily, one who practices naturalism in art or literature.
Well, if you follow the word down the rabbit hole, you will see that a naturalist could be someone who practices naturalism which can be "a philosophical viewpoint according to which everything arises from natural properties and causes, and supernatural or spiritual explanations are excluded or discounted." Which seems to describe atheists.

EDIT: Didn't see AREQUIPA's post. Looks like s/he just about covered it.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:40 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,213,959 times
Quote:
Yeah, or one who doesn't believe in body grooming.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:50 PM

888 posts, read 453,988 times
Mindful is another word that may creep into the vocabulary. Being "mindful" is trendy vocabulary when discussing anything with an emphasis of thinking about what you do and being thoughtful towards yourself and others with your actions. "Mindfulness" seems to be a buzzword for memes.

It does have room for some riffs, which seem to apply more the the New Agers of the mid 80s than atheists. Mindfullers and Mindfullests sound like people who are full of themselves.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:58 PM

Mindfulness does resonate with me, because one thing I brought out of Buddhism was being aware. Noting as well as concentrating. I see most people as going around not being mindful but unaware of anything outside a 1 metre bubble around their head.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:29 PM

888 posts, read 453,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Mindfulness does resonate with me, because one thing I brought out of Buddhism was being aware. Noting as well as concentrating. I see most people as going around not being mindful but unaware of anything outside a 1 metre bubble around their head.
Yes. I think of it as staying focused enough to have accurate observations of factors influencing present circumstances. It's the decisions made after observing that are more important and sometimes difficult. In that sense, being mindful doesn't help much if one lacks the judgment to make good decisions, something often in short supply. Mindfulness is certainly a good first step.

What irks me about the mindful memes is the implication that mindfulness alone will allow you to make good decisions.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:54 AM

19,973 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedPeach View Post
Yes. I think of it as staying focused enough to have accurate observations of factors influencing present circumstances. It's the decisions made after observing that are more important and sometimes difficult. In that sense, being mindful doesn't help much if one lacks the judgment to make good decisions, something often in short supply. Mindfulness is certainly a good first step.

What irks me about the mindful memes is the implication that mindfulness alone will allow you to make good decisions.
That is a good point, Peach.

Mindfulness to me has more to do with considered opinions and actions as an integrated whole, as it does with observation. Too much is done on autopilot based on instinct, habit and convention. It is a kind of existential laziness. Over in the antinatalism thread I made the point that people often have children based on nothing more than "of course, that's what one does", with a spouse or significant other that has been selected based on little more than that they "clicked". Much as I love my children I had no business having them with the woman that I did. Much as I loved my 2nd wife I wish I had been more aware of how the fact she didn't have a maternal bone in her body impacted my two children at a time when they could have really benefitted from some mothering that they got only spastically and intermittently from their birth mother. And so on. I did what a lot of men do, assume the woman knows what she's doing on the nurturing front. Because that's "what one does", or at least it was in my generation. Even the decision to get married without considering educational and financial priorities was largely based on when someone happened to come along. I was a real flop in the mindfulness department and it caused myself and others a lot of suffering.

I think mindfulness to an extent produces a "virtuous cycle" when practiced pervasively. Really noticing things and thinking about how to respond to them produces a feedback loop that you actually participate in and is practice for other observations and decisions, thus producing better judgment.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedPeach View Post

Yes, in that sense,(meanings before definitions or explanations before labels) it is like Inspiration will allow one to make good decisions. This is at best, bad and soon becomes worse as the familiar 'I'm right..I don't care what you say.." that is is woefully common in human thought, becomes pernicious in politics with People admiring tiny -minded blowhards whom they regard as 'having the courage of their convictions" (1). The more autonomous power such people have, the more the pernicious turns into atrocious.

It only makes matters worse even than that in each case - wrongheadedness, personal hubris, political arrogance and autocracy - if this convinction that one is Instinctively right by inspiration becomes divinely inspired rightness. I won't labour the way this works, you -all can imagine it for yourselves..or can see enough on it on the boards.

(1) I admire much more reason and the humility to admit being wrong and reassess. Regrettably seen as weakness or reasons not to listen to that person.

"Stand up for your right to be wishy -washy!" (Charlie Brown)

Old 01-08-2016, 10:55 AM

12,193 posts, read 2,961,959 times
Funny thing is, all those believers are atheists themselves, to most religions.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:32 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronaria View Post
I completely agree re: the usual knee-jerk reaction to describing oneself as "atheist."

Thus far I've been using the word "non-theist" instead but believe it or not, I've gotten a couple of puzzled looks in response to that... as if the person was trying to figure out what I meant, or whether Nontheism was some kind of religion they didn't recognize. :-/

"Freethinker" connotes too much of the sandals-and-candles Sixties imagery, IMHO, to most hearers.
In conversation with people I know casually, if a religious topic arises, I usually say that I am not at all religious. This provokes no reaction at all in most people. If I want to get in someone's face, I say I am an atheist. Evidence- or reality-based may provoke a reaction, but not always.

Free-thinker was common usage long before the (19)60s. It's one of the reasons I like it. Too many people think that agnosticism/atheism were non-existent in this nation before that darned Darwin ruined it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism