Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 06:21 AM

15,789 posts, read 20,487,959 times

Advertisements

I'm technically an independent, but I lean right. It's hard to jump on board with conservative republicans completely when they bring religion into politics so much. However every election cycle, I tend to look towards the right or third party.

I don't think I've ever gotten on board with the democratic party ever....despite some key democratic ideals like atheism, pro-choice, pro-gay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 06:56 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,246,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Yes, but its becoming more and more difficult given that every election cycle, the GOP and the religious right become more and more the same. You can be conservative on economic issues, foreign policy, etc, but its very hard for non-believers to get behind the anti-church/state separation mentality in today's GOP. When voting for the GOP you are voting for the entire package. You have to determine if the positive is worth also voting for the negative. It's kind of like the Log Cabin Republicans, who I don't understand, but to each their own.
I'm an independent atheist but tend to vote republican for the Federal seats from congress to the President. Figure it is the best of the two groups. Now, when I lived in TN, I did vote for democrats for local office, but in the south, for local seats, dems can be more conservative than republicans.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:58 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindance maggie View Post
You betcha, and I'm living proof.
I'm a registered republican, conservative on most things but I'm a died in the wool agnostic, hardly ever attended church in my life, don't believe in prayer, and I think most religious people are high and mighty hypocrites especially the people that claim to be born again christians.
How can you hate God if you are agnostic or atheist?

Sure you can be a conservative, but really god-hating?

Old 02-17-2016, 02:37 PM

12,205 posts, read 2,963,596 times
Hate is too strong a word. Let's try dislike.
If disbelievers dislike anything, it's the cruelty and injustices created by believers. Even in that I dislike the "sin" not the "sinner." lol

Old 02-17-2016, 02:45 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
If disbelievers dislike anything, it's the cruelty and injustices created by believers. Even in that I dislike the "sin" not the "sinner." lol
Admirable quality.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:00 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
That's not disliking God, though.

I think you can be agnostic and hate religions.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I filled in the blank for ya!
Are they a 'moron' for 'loving God' or being a social progressive?

Old 02-18-2016, 01:34 PM

249 posts, read 188,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
How can you hate God if you are agnostic or atheist?

Sure you can be a conservative, but really god-hating?

I tried to explain it before.
An atheist solidly disbelieves in god so it wouldn't make much sense for an atheist to hate something which he or she is certain doesn't exist.
An agnostic is different from an atheist. Agnostics have strong doubts about the existence of a deity and they highly question the reality of such a being but they don't entirely disbelieve. I as an agnostic have always maintained that if there is ever substantial proof of a god, holy spirit, divine power, or whatever it's called I can easily believe in it.
Otoh, if a god is ever proven to exist and if he'd ever reveal his identity then I'd be demanding answers why he allows so much violence, bloodshed, disease, terrorism, and turmoil on the earth he created. My hatred toward him would be justified for being the cowardly piece of crap he is and I'd be 1st in line to give him a good a$$ whoopin.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:36 PM

249 posts, read 188,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Are they a 'moron' for 'loving God' or being a social progressive?

Both, but I was really just kidding with ya.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Both, but I was really just kidding with ya.
I know, I just like to have fun with these.

Me personally, I respond well to moron, or dork, or some other words I probably can't type here so if you see my name in a thread, feel free. At some point in my life, I know I've been guilty of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism