Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 07:13 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I actually live in two bible belts, one up in Central Alberta, where there is a small "Creation Science Museum" 4 blocks from my place, and the other half of the year in Florida, with two mega churches less than 1/2 mile away.

I get this asked frequently, more often in the South, then the north. My usual answer is, "I don't go to church", which sometime is enough. But what about when I'm pressed?

It depends on who I'm talking to. I've used a the following or a combination of them at different times:

"I'm just not religious."

"I don't care much for organized religion."

"I'm exploring Buddhism."

"I have my own religion."

"I'm just not that superstitious." (with a smile)
Most of the time, pretty much the way you do. And, most of the time, everything's OK. Most people are polite, and I don't mind mild curiosity, it's how we get to know each other.

But if someone gets nosy, pushy, or pissy about it - well, I match them, rude for rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 07:28 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Seriously, why is this even a problem. Say you're not religious or you don't go to church. Done. Walk away if needed. This isn't worth all the boohooing and lamenting.
You don't live in a small community, do you?

Old 03-19-2016, 09:16 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
You are way more kinder than I would be. I'm blunt and honest. I don't bring it up unless someone else does. When they do I'll use words like "silly" and "nonsense."

So?

I wouldn't get myself in a situation like this. I'd rather be alone than risk something like that.

Have to love that Christian love when it's on display like that.

Lying really bothers me. But then again I have a conscience...
Yeah I get what you're saying, but I left out the part where it was a Christmas party thrown by family friends of my husband's sister, while we were staying at her house as guests. Full on kids and presents and everything. Not really something I could get out of, and not something I expected. Oh well.

And about the lying, yes, I agree, except when my telling the truth negatively affects those that I love for no good reason. For example, I don't dare let anyone at my children's school think I'm not Christian, especially their teachers. It shouldn't matter, but it does. My kids are only a quarter chinese - they look white, and here in Alabama if you're white you better believe in god.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:17 PM

19,998 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Seriously, why is this even a problem. Say you're not religious or you don't go to church. Done. Walk away if needed. This isn't worth all the boohooing and lamenting.
I don't remember the last time anyone asked me about this issue, but since my deconversion I have always lived (1) in large cities and (2) not in the Bible Belt and, for the past four years, (3) in a very liberal college town. Given my fundamentalist experience I can well imagine the sort of inbred, overweening impertinence that can be unavoidable and certainly not ignorable. Even I am careful to keep religion and politics out of my public social media accounts, for fear that my primary client (the owner is a staunch Republican and my direct report, the CEO, is a conservative Catholic) would not be able to handle my true views on such matters and it could jeopardize our business relationship. Fortunately they do not ask me about my beliefs but I know for a fact that people do not leave you alone about such things in the South. We've had whole threads about it here before.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
[/b]

I don't know what it is about telling them one is Buddhist, as they all seem to accept that, although one sometimes gets weird looks. Guess they don't know it can be a philosophy without being a religion, and some aspects are things we all can buy into.

I've played a bit of an ass (easy for me to do at times) with JWs at the door. When they want to tell me about jaysus, I ask them if they knew that Buddha taught jaysus all he knew, and it is written!

"But, but, it's not in the byable!"

"Yes, but it's in the Kama Sutra! You hear people proclaiming joy to god all the time because of its teaching. Do you want me to read some to you?"

They don't have a clue what I'm talking about. (The Kama Sutra is a Hindu text, BTW).
Hilarious!

Old 03-20-2016, 05:56 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,282,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Yeah I get what you're saying, but I left out the part where it was a Christmas party thrown by family friends of my husband's sister, while we were staying at her house as guests. Full on kids and presents and everything. Not really something I could get out of, and not something I expected. Oh well.

And about the lying, yes, I agree, except when my telling the truth negatively affects those that I love for no good reason. For example, I don't dare let anyone at my children's school think I'm not Christian, especially their teachers. It shouldn't matter, but it does. My kids are only a quarter chinese - they look white, and here in Alabama if you're white you better believe in god.
I'm quite sure there are citizens of Alabama who do not believe a man up in the sky fairy tale.

So what happens to the people in your community who are pro-science and anti-superstitious, sentenced to death? Vandalism? Protests?

Maybe run out of town but I could handle that. No different than moving out of a bad neighborhood. I would be sad to learn if the entire state is like that because I do not think it is.

Funny that I am well read and I haven't heard of that epidemic, except in some cases vandalism by Christian extremists. Surely if you are near a group of people like that you can find some other place to live a honest and at least somewhat peaceful life. I wouldn't be around others like that, family or not. They deserve to get cut off and all ties severed.

For the sake of your children I'd get out of there ASAP. What you describe sounds like a type of war zone.
I would be stunned to learn all public schools in your state shove religion down all students throats.

Last edited by John13; 03-20-2016 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: re-wording.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:04 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
every post here shows it's a people problem not a belief problem.

I can't walk in certain parts of my area at night because I am white. I can't lie about that. Does that mean I go to war with a group of people even though they are racist? no, I do what I do and hope the best them too.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:03 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
I'm quite sure there are citizens of Alabama who do not believe a man up in the sky fairy tale.

So what happens to the people in your community who are pro-science and anti-superstitious, sentenced to death? Vandalism? Protests?

Maybe run out of town but I could handle that. No different than moving out of a bad neighborhood. I would be sad to learn if the entire state is like that because I do not think it is.

Funny that I am well read and I haven't heard of that epidemic, except in some cases vandalism by Christian extremists. Surely if you are near a group of people like that you can find some other place to live a honest and at least somewhat peaceful life. I wouldn't be around others like that, family or not. They deserve to get cut off and all ties severed.

For the sake of your children I'd get out of there ASAP. What you describe sounds like a type of war zone.
I would be stunned to learn all public schools in your state shove religion down all students throats.
https://www.au.org/blogs/legislative...public-schools

BREAKING: Alabama House Passes 'Religious Exemption' Bill - The New Civil Rights Movement

Quote:
As passed HB 56 reads:

“A religious organization shall be immune from any civil claim or cause of action, or any criminal prosecution, based on a refusal to solemnize or recognize any marriage under this section or any other provision of Alabama law.”
“No religious organization is required to provide accommodations, facilities, advantages, privileges, services, or goods related to the recognition, solemnization, or celebration of a marriage.”

Ala. religious protection bill advances in state Senate

Quote:
Norris and others take issue with the bill's language, which they say could allow a judge to deny an interracial marriage, a public hospital to deny service or numerous state agencies to deny public services to Alabama citizens based solely on religious reasons.
Student religious freedom bill signed into Alabama law | AL.com

Quote:
the right to student-led prayer and religious expressions while on campus grounds is secured and protected in Alabama's public schools.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:21 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
And to think in an insane weakness, I considered moving to NC from CA....went for a visit to Raleigh, and ran back to So. Cal. I would die back there ... humidity bad enough but the bible thumpers....gooood grief...

Old 03-20-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:

I don't mind it that each actually. I guess I'm just a tolerant person. I like the people here, I like the culture, I just don't believe in god. *shrug* Maybe they take it personally, and maybe you do, but I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism