Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 08:25 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,041 times

Advertisements

How would you answer this for a reasonably mature 12 year old? I would like to cover different reasons, not just my gut reaction which is usually a thought like "I don't believe there is a man in the sky who helps football players make touchdowns but it's 'god's will' that a 5 year old die of cancer."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 08:33 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
How would you answer this for a reasonably mature 12 year old? I would like to cover different reasons, not just my gut reaction which is usually a thought like "I don't believe there is a man in the sky who helps football players make touchdowns but it's 'god's will' that a 5 year old die of cancer."

Just something like "I don't see enough evidence for it. Everything we see appears to be the result of natural processes. We understand a lot about how nature works through science and our knowledge is expanding all the time". Just be honest about it really and offer a mature response yourself. By the age of 12, most children can handle the same sort of answer you would offer to an adult.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:37 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Just something like "I don't see enough evidence for it. Everything we see appears to be the result of natural processes. We understand a lot about how nature works through science and our knowledge is expanding all the time". Just be honest about it really and offer a mature response yourself. By the age of 12, most children can handle the same sort of answer you would offer to an adult.
I agree. You don't need to deliver a long essay.

Then I'd ask "why are you asking?"

And go from there.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:25 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times
I like the way my dad answered it.

He told me about how he used to go to church as a child, but then in school he started learning about history. He read the Epic of Gilgamesh, the Odyssey and the Iliad, learned about Greek and Roman mythology, Far East mythology, and about religions in history all around the world, all very different. And it became obvious to him through his reading that religion was just this thing that people create to fill a need within them, and that everyone creates it a little different. For some people, what they create is beautiful and gives their lives purpose and meaning, and for others it gives them reason to control others and do harm. But in the end, all religion is just a creation of man.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:51 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
Actually that is an honest and relatable thought, I don't think there's anything wrong with giving it as an answer. You don't have to audit your thoughts to that extent.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:04 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
Depending on their age, what their parents believe and are teaching them this can be a really touchy subject.

Having said that, I summarize the truth - I used to believe and some things happened that made me have doubts and trying to resolve those only led to further doubts and finally disbelief. Oddly enough, one of the things that happened was one of my own children at about age 11 or so telling me he didn't believe anymore and didn't want to believe because "if there is a god I hate him" after the death of my in-laws in a fairly short span of time. Both had short but extremely painful hospital stays prior to passing and he was having none of this "everything happens for a reason" talk. I could not will myself to tell him what I did not believe whole heartedly myself.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:59 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
I can see no better answer than: "The same reason you don't believe in Santa Claus."

If they should reply that they do believe in Santa Claus, I should respond that, when they stop, they can stop believing in God, too.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:08 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I can see no better answer than: "The same reason you don't believe in Santa Claus."

If they should reply that they do believe in Santa Claus, I should respond that, when they stop, they can stop believing in God, too.
My first thought was leprechauns but I think Santa Claus is perhaps a better metaphor, especially for children.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:27 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I bought this colorful book years ago to read/talk to my grandkids but never did. Maybe I bought it for myself. They are pretty grown up now and not sure how much they believe.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0920668887/...l_6d4y6cmhxo_e

Old 04-21-2016, 02:50 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
There is no blanket answer. Who is the kid? How are you connected to them? How long have you known them? How well do you know the adults in their lives? What, if anything, do you know about their religious background?

It's silly to think there is a simple answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism