Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 10:04 AM

88,119 posts, read 83,978,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Or "dam".
Or amen. Or dame...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 10:11 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,208,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Well, I wouldn't go with the "aka oblivion" part. Oblivion is fine with me. Hell is eternal torment for immortal and aware individuals who will experience all of it in exquisite detail. Reminds me of the villain in the old Wild, Wild West TV series, introducing the hero to his fate of being skinned alive:

Or, put Biblically (and this is what Texas' Lt. Governor tweeted this morning, supposedly not intentionally about the Orlando mass shooting):

It is this avidity when contemplating the supposed just comeuppance of those who don't believe as you do, that is so ghastly. It is understandable; they are just imitating their sky daddy.
Good point on oblivion. It would be far too good for us heathens to get what we expected all along.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:38 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,483,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Indeed he did. Arach, mate, you display a continued 'agnostic /accommodationalist' Fundamentalism (1) in doing theist -type apologetics: beginning with a beef about atheism (because you are not in fact atheist, but a sortagod -agnostic) and then 'what facts can we find to support it?' (2). Thus your check list of 'evidence' to support your conclusion and never mind whether it is true or relevant.

Bias..as indeed all 'common sense' reasoning - is part of human thinking, and it is not logical very often. We are thus well advised to apply logic to our rationale to see whether it stands up, and if it doesn't, whether it matters. That I adore Bruckner and detest Rap is a personal preference and not logical, and I would never attack anyone elses' tastes or engage on an internet campaign to get rid of Pop music (as tough a task as pushing back Christianity in America). But atheism even if is a non -logical basis for most in the beginning has a solid logical rationale and talking about it shows this to be so.

Applying logical thought enables us to deal with bias. So the accusation is just some of your fishing around for "evidence" to support your bias.

Now, I fully anticipate a 'Wow you wrote a lot, I sure hit a nerve." (the 'You Got annoyed, so I must be right' ploy - so tempting it is even used on us when we don't get annoyed), but in fact it is valuing you in explaining yet again in hopes that you will become reasonable and either see your own wrongheadedness about this or it will at least let others see it and not be taken in by it.

(1) "claims that can handle more conditional changes " is an example. A stance of determined fence -sitting on all questions, disregarding whether the reasons and evidence says they are right or wrong.

(2)fallacy of numbers, for example "and the numbers do not support your anti-religion stance." A Gdnrule favourite.
what? this post of yourz is nonsense.
Talk about self justification of a personal emotional need, read this post ten times to yourself.

Peroid.

lmao, yeah claims that are not true for everybody are far better than those that are.
too funny.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:52 PM

50,081 posts, read 20,507,234 times
You let yourself down with that last post, sunshine.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:05 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,887,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Remember: you can't spell "fundamentalism" without "mental."
And you can't spell it without "Fun".

Old 06-13-2016, 02:05 PM

I get it. lose the focus so that your belief statement flaw's are not exposed

The following is what you are disputing.
"Fundies/millies are outside of the bell curve. List the personality traits of them and see for yourselves.

It's that stupid simple.

Now why do we middle folk doubt ourselves and let these milli/fundy mentals shout us down is another question.
I agree with ya, I was really talking about the middle of the roaders. You are not a middle of the roader "

I have no idea how you can think your stance is rational .... your whole gripe is "rational, unbiased, reasoning" of the middle of the roader seeing your anti-religious stance for what it is ... your personal vendetta. Which is fine, but don't call us lazy because we see it and don't wanna fight.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:52 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,887,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Good point on oblivion. It would be far too good for us heathens to get what we expected all along.
And yet there is "God will have all mankind to be saved for Christ gave Himself a ransom for all" (see 1 Timothy 2:4-6).

So oblivion and eternal torment are out of the equation.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
And yet there is "God will have all mankind to be saved for Christ gave Himself a ransom for all" (see 1 Timothy 2:4-6).

there is no reason to take the bible literal. You use half truths. Yes, to "live like christ" is fine. There are also many great self help portions in the bible like "you are not the most important thing ever".

But to take the bible literal has no meaning.
You make god small.

Old 06-13-2016, 05:14 PM

48,564 posts, read 23,987,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

Among things which have been made manifest in this atheist forum, is that there is not a single one of us, none, zip, zero, who thinks that scripture represents evidence of anything other than the opinion of its author. No one here is in awe of it. No one here grants it any special status or authority. No one here will accept scripture in lieu of evidence or well reasoned argument.

Despite this, here you are once more contributing your irrelevancy. It is a waste of your time, our time and cyberspace.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:45 PM

50,081 posts, read 20,507,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I get it. lose the focus so that your belief statement flaw's are not exposed

The following is what you are disputing.
"Fundies/millies are outside of the bell curve. List the personality traits of them and see for yourselves.

It's that stupid simple.

Now why do we middle folk doubt ourselves and let these milli/fundy mentals shout us down is another question.
I agree with ya, I was really talking about the middle of the roaders. You are not a middle of the roader "

I have no idea how you can think your stance is rational .... your whole gripe is "rational, unbiased, reasoning" of the middle of the roader seeing your anti-religious stance for what it is ... your personal vendetta. Which is fine, but don't call us lazy because we see it and don't wanna fight.
What I am disputing is that 'Fundy' is an appropriate term for atheists, militant or not. What I am disputing is that you justify this canard by seeing 'emotional reaction' every time this is disputed, so as to fuel your confirmation bias. I am also now disputing your apparent slip (for a supposed atheist you know I have my doubts) of claiming "I have no idea how you can think your stance is rational ". It is simple - we don't believe in a god because the evidence for it is far from good enough .As an "atheist" what is your rationale?

Militancy is a different matter. We don't think it is good that that atheism is regarded so bad. We don't think it good that religion has such an influence when it is based on nothing rational, and we propose to do something about it. You needn't help if you don't want to, but, since your beef with us appears to be based on personal prejudice, not to say an emotional abreaction, please do stop slamming us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism