Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 04:12 PM

341 posts, read 265,798 times

Advertisements

How is death best explained in both religious and scientific terms?Would a person go to hell for commiting suicide?if so why?and why is suicide a sin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 04:38 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,213,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwali2009 View Post
How is death best explained in both religious and scientific terms?Would a person go to hell for commiting suicide?if so why?and why is suicide a sin?
Well since I don't believe there is a god, and therefore no concept of hell, there is of course no reason to think suicide sends a person to an imaginary place.

Death is essentially the cessation of your life functions. Which, if you think about it, are an awful lot like your life functions during the war of 1812.....non-existent.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Well since I don't believe there is a god, and therefore no concept of hell, there is of course no reason to think suicide sends a person to an imaginary place.

Death is essentially the cessation of your life functions. Which, if you think about it, are an awful lot like your life functions during the war of 1812.....non-existent.
Hmm interesting they say everything in life has a opposite(good,evil,right,left,straight,gay,man,wom an,dark,light,night,day,right,wrong)And ONE CANNOT create the other or exist without the other its like formed laws of nature. Which makes me think death is best explained in finding the definition of life,it probaly is non-existent,but why?and how?And I too dont believe in God

Old 07-02-2016, 04:52 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,213,673 times
Quote:
Hmm interesting they say everything in life has a opposite(good,evil,right,left,straight,gay,man,wom an,dark,light,night,day,right,wrong)And ONE CANNOT create the other or exist without the other its like formed laws of nature. Which makes me think death is best explained in finding the definition of life,it probaly is non-existent,but why?and how?And I too dont believe in God
I think some of those are false dichotomies, personally. I can be dusk, I can be bisexual, I can be hermaphrodite, and I can be partially correct. The laws of nature allow for all of those to exist.

I think perhaps a better explanation of death is that the particular configuration of molecules that make you, "you", are no longer coherently intertwined to make the organism we know as "you". Just as that particular configuration didn't exist before you were conceived. And that precise configuration likely will never exist again.

Or in other words....I don't see death as anything more than the fundamental change of your molecules into a different configuration.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:55 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Hmm interesting they say everything in life has a opposite(good,evil,right,left,straight,gay,man,wom an,dark,light,night,day,right,wrong)
While I am loath to challenge the authority of "they", what is the opposite of a desk? Is it a chair? is it the absence of a desk?

Old 07-02-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I think some of those are false dichotomies, personally. I can be dusk, I can be bisexual, I can be hermaphrodite, and I can be partially correct. The laws of nature allow for all of those to exist.

I think perhaps a better explanation of death is that the particular configuration of molecules that make you, "you", are no longer coherently intertwined to make the organism we know as "you". Just as that particular configuration didn't exist before you were conceived. And that precise configuration likely will never exist again.

Or in other words....I don't see death as anything more than the fundamental change of your molecules into a different configuration.
But based on biology your molecules have vanished,how can death contain any type of existence?

Old 07-02-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
While I am loath to challenge the authority of "they", what is the opposite of a desk? Is it a chair? is it the absence of a desk?
"they"as in religious experts and scientific experts

desk and chair arent living things,their man made and dont refer to as in existence of life.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:53 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
"they"as in religious experts and scientific experts

desk and chair arent living things,their man made and dont refer to as in existence of life.
You wrote "everything in life" not "everything that has life", now you are having to refine it.

Accepting your revised definition, what is the opposite of a leaf? What is the opposite of a blood cell?

I think maybe you had better ask to see the credentials of those experts.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:26 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
What about the configuration of molecules that were transformed to produce your consciousness? Once in that form what happens to them???

Old 07-02-2016, 08:26 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What about the configuration of molecules that were transformed to produce your consciousness? Once in that form what happens to them???
What about the configuration of molecules that is a piece of paper? What happens to them if I set the paper on fire? They are simply no longer organized in the same way.

Your molecules will continue to exist wherever they happen to end up.

Your consciousness is an emergent property of a particular configuration of matter and energy called your body and brain and the process of life within it. When biological death occurs, there is nothing for your consciousness to emerge FROM anymore. It is a non sequitur to ask what happens to your consciousness when you die, just as it's a non sequitur to ask what happens to a piece of paper when it burns. It's just that you don't care about the paper nearly so much as you care about your consciousness. You are so invested in your continued existence that you are tempted to succumb to special pleading about yourself. It's okay for the paper to become smoke and ash; it's not okay for you to become wormfood.

You just need to get over the ego inflation that you are immortal. You're not. When you're dead, your dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism