Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:24 AM

22,137 posts, read 19,195,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
It is not realy a questian of inteligence but of wisdom, thiest prevent themselves from gaining true wisdom. although, it is well known that there are very few thiest in mensa
And for someone to misspell "theist" in the context of speaking of mensa speaks volumes. (Ordinaraily i could care less about correct spelling in a post but in this thread it bears mentioning.)

Unless this is a (quite humorous) post which it could be because "really" and "question" are also misspelled. In that case, clever!!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:32 AM

245 posts, read 625,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
And for someone to misspell "theist" in the context of speaking of mensa speaks volumes. (Ordinaraily i could care less about correct spelling in a post but in this thread it bears mentioning.)

Unless this is a (quite humorous) post which it could be because "really" and "question" are also misspelled. In that case, clever!!
lmao , oh no dont tell them they might kick me out heck I'm probaly the only member who isn't concerned with spelling or is better at physics than basic math I'm still not downloading that spell check or doing more than a very quick edit, other things to think about

Old 02-27-2008, 09:31 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
It is not realy a questian of inteligence but of wisdom, thiest prevent themselves from gaining true wisdom. although, it is well known that there are very few thiest in mensa
If you're a member then you know that many of those computer-brain types are very, very far from having "true wisdom".

Old 02-27-2008, 09:51 AM

245 posts, read 625,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
If you're a member then you know that many of those computer-brain types are very, very far from having "true wisdom".
aint that the truth, many should get out and experience the world first hand, so many are so focused on there task at hand, working on whatever in such a religious fashion. but believe me gaining wisdom it easier the more you are able retain, gather and process informatioin

Old 02-27-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I couldn't agree more. That's an oxymoron if there ever was one.
Wisdom has nothing to do with intelligence.
And in my experience, extremes of intelligence are actually an impediment rather than aid to living with wisdom.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:13 AM

552 posts, read 1,073,043 times
So in other words, you're right and I'm wrong and you can't explain why you're right because I won't understand unless I agree with you.

This debate is like Sunday school all over again.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:23 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,256,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
So in other words, you're right and I'm wrong and you can't explain why you're right because I won't understand unless I agree with you.

This debate is like Sunday school all over again.
How many times have I heard that line of illogic to justify irrational belief...

Old 02-27-2008, 01:17 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,278,687 times
I recently heard a quote that I kinda fits this debate. Paraphrased:

"That which can believed without evidence can also be discarded without evidence".

I don't who said it, maybe I should google it to give proper credit.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:55 PM

My happiness, prosperity, success, health, well-being, peace of mind, comfort, joy, and bliss in daily living are all the evidence I need.

Where does happiness fit in to a life that is based on rational thinking?
Falling in love is about the most irrational illogical activity in the world! So how do you justify participating in that,
or any of a number of other joyful pursuits?!

Fun and love and joy and play and ecstasy are all about something else entirely. Where do those fit in your world view?

Old 02-27-2008, 02:12 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
My happiness, prosperity, success, health, well-being, peace of mind, comfort, joy, and bliss in daily living are all the evidence I need.

Where does happiness fit in to a life that is based on rational thinking?
Falling in love is about the most irrational illogical activity in the world! So how do you justify participating in that,
or any of a number of other joyful pursuits?!

Fun and love and joy and play and ecstasy are all about something else entirely. Where do those fit in your world view?
But why are those things evidence of a god?
OK, maybe my thoughts don't belong on this thread because I don't qualify as a theist or an atheist. I believe 100% in various forms of bliss. I agree that I can't explain every phenomenon that happens in the natural world or in the universe. I believe in unexpected physical recovery from disease. And I see that people experience what has been called "spiritual bliss". I believe that I have experienced that myself. Yet, none of that indicates to me that there is a creator god or any other kind of god.
It's not a matter of smart vs. stupid or experience vs. inexperience (although those things come into play in all aspects of our lifes).
I am rational. I also believe in and experience bliss, fun, love, play, joy, and ecstasy. Wholeheartedly.
I am not a curmudgeon. I am not unfulfilled or empty and I don't need a rational explanation for everything there is in the world.
So why do I not "know" there is a god?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.