Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2016, 12:06 PM

387 posts, read 491,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
What an incisive rebuttal.

That's an utterly vacuous statement.

As opposed to how it used to work in the good old days? Government is sausage-making. And for some reason, legions of people think that sausage-making has only recently become yucky.

Government did actually work better before, especially when had our Founding Fathers in office. They ran this country way better than any of today's politicians.

Oh, they could? I guess it's just sheer coincidence that they haven't been viable in the 220+ years of our constitutional framework. That's one way to blithely dismiss unpleasant facts.

Problem is not enough people vote for them.

In government, there are only imperfect solutions. That's not a pessimistic assessment. It's just reality. Few if any solutions in life are ever perfect.

It is, too a pessimistic assessment. I don't know about perfect solutions, but there's certainly plenty of ideal solutions, which are the right solutions. People, unfortunately, settle for the wrong solutions, intentionally.

Oh, and spare us the hysterical threat that were all doomed unless we embrace your panacea.

Well we are at least doomed with Trump.

And that's another way to hand-wave away things that we wish weren't so. I can almost hear your foot-stamping.

Repeating this hysteria doesn't make it sound any less silly.
Again you've convinced me nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 12:18 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPetty View Post
Will I'll tell you one thing. It's terrible that we're getting Pence as our Vice President. And let's hope that he never becomes the actual President. Trump is only part of our problem now. But I will say one thing, 2016 was a terrible year for politics, and doubt 2017 will be any better.
We shall have to see. I think there's enough established law and precedent to check a lot of possible nonsense, but I suspect the White House will have a solid senate majority and they may well feel they can do what they like, and they may be right.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
We shall have to see. I think there's enough established law and precedent to check a lot of possible nonsense, but I suspect the White House will have a solid senate majority and they may well feel they can do what they like, and they may be right.
And there will be bad people on the Senate.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:39 AM

4 posts, read 2,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Sometimes I'm not so sure it's their own personal belief. I'm convinced a lot of politicians are probably non-believers, but claim to be religious simply because they would probably lose a lot of votes if they stated their honest belief.

It will be a huge milestone the day the country elects a proclaimed atheist as president. I don't see that happening, so until then, candidates will continue to claim to be part of some religion

Right. But they are still claiming that it is their personal belief. So who knows.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy0 View Post
Right. But they are still claiming that it is their personal belief. So who knows.
Who, indeed, but, given the evidence that a politician is hampered in the polls if known to be atheist, it is a good bet that many are atheist but don't dare say so. It seems the case in a lot of places, other than science, where it doesn't matter what you believe, so long as you can do your job.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:31 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Who, indeed, but, given the evidence that a politician is hampered in the polls if known to be atheist, it is a good bet that many are atheist but don't dare say so. It seems the case in a lot of places, other than science, where it doesn't matter what you believe, so long as you can do your job.
Being able to state what/where you are on the "theist scale" implies that you have spent a lot of time thinking about it. I doubt, very much, that the average politician spends a lot of time examining those beliefs and isn't particularly interested in doing so - unless he or she sees a political advantage in it. There is no political advantage in admitting that not only do you not belong to a particular religion or church, you don't believe in god.

One of the distinct possibilities in the political world is that, 2 years in when the far right wing of the Republican party gets a few more seats in Congress, is that they will vote to open a Constitutional Convention. At which point the entire constitution will be open for change. I'd be willing to believe that at that point there would be a call to establish some flavor of Christianity as the national religion, just the way "In God We Trust" was inserted into a bunch of things during the "Godless Commie" Red Scare years.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:26 PM

I can see it coming.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:41 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
I am a liberal liberal or a liberal conservative.

far left liberals don't believe in any rules let alone moral ones.
conservative conservatives are way to literal for me, far more literal then a rational theist. they are 'confining"

Old 12-28-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I am a liberal liberal or a liberal conservative.

far left liberals don't believe in any rules let alone moral ones.
conservative conservatives are way to literal for me, far more literal then a rational theist. they are 'confining"
Either I'm in the radical center or on the sidelines of politics.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:54 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,708,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Why are so many conservatives "Christians"? It seems to me that Jesus himself was quite the liberal.
I definitely agree with you about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism