Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 05:52 AM

11,363 posts, read 9,275,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
We don't anymore because the kids are teenagers, but when they were young we certainly did. And we too had fun doing it. You are right, having fun with it is all that matters.
So lying is okay?

I disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Nope.

I refused to perpetuate the lie of Santa.

She's 17 now. Didn't squash her childhood or her imagination.
Good for you!

Old 12-21-2016, 06:02 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Indulging a fantasy is just that, not acknowledgeing that it actually is a fantasy becomes a lie!

Old 12-21-2016, 06:11 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
True, but where I live, it's hard to not find your children immersed in the lies of Santa, and I live in a pretty liberal area where atheists/agnostic people are common. Still, regardless of that, the myth of Santa is common, and hard to avoid having your children exposed to it short of home daycare, or home schooling, or keeping them locked up and the TV off. Before we even realized it, Santa was a part of our routine...and to be honest I really don't mind it.

As the years go on, they will figure it out. I figured it out early, but still kept it a secret for my younger siblings. I distinctly remember feelings of jealousy for them, for being able to still believe, while I know the truth. I wish it was never "spoiled" for me, but logic and reason came into my life around that age.

So i'll let my kids keep on believing Santa is real. I love seeing their eyes light up when a fat man in a red suit rides by on a firetruck and looking forward to the total lack of sleep i'll get the night of Dec 24th, and i'll enjoy the hell out of it.

When they figure it out later in life, Christmas doesn't end for us. It's still about the family, and coming together which is the most important part. But in the meantime, we will do the Santa thing for the next 3-4 years until they figure it out. As parents, we'll probably end up missing it then.
Yes, the reasons why are, I am sure, similar to those pointed up by Tracie Harris in a 'required reading' video on Christianity and family values'. (I'll post it here if I can find it (1) as it is a perpetuation of a lie by the family because it is felt to be doing something bad to expose it. The religious myth and the santa myth are absolutely exploiting (whether intentionally or not) the same method.

(1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8As0Pdt1Ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
We don't anymore because the kids are teenagers, but when they were young we certainly did. And we too had fun doing it. You are right, having fun with it is all that matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
So lying is okay?

I disagree.
I do, too. And I agree with KingKat that the fun is Ok. But Trick or treat shows that it can be fun and festival without it needing to be believed. That can be done with Santa even for young kids, and it was certainly the case for me with the nativity and angels stuff, even though the magic and fun was still there. Hell - I felt the magic and fun of Diwalli one memorable year in London and I certainly didn't believe it.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-21-2016 at 06:31 AM..

Old 12-21-2016, 07:29 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes, the reasons why are, I am sure, similar to those pointed up by Tracie Harris in a 'required reading' video on Christianity and family values'. (I'll post it here if I can find it (1) as it is a perpetuation of a lie by the family because it is felt to be doing something bad to expose it. The religious myth and the santa myth are absolutely exploiting (whether intentionally or not) the same method.

I watched the video. To be honest, the truth is I simply don't care enough to really actively strike out against residual religious influences in our lives. If I like it, i'll do it. I could care less of the roots of the activity, or what it means, or the implications.

I'm an apathetic atheist. I simply don't care enough to get upset over accidental religious incidents in my life. I've got bigger things to worry about than the implications of enjoying (and I use that word purposely) our short time perpetuating the myth of Santa before the kids get older and start to be more independent.

Try and convince me as an atheist that I shouldn't do such a thing? My response is simply "meh".

Old 12-21-2016, 10:20 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I watched the video. To be honest, the truth is I simply don't care enough to really actively strike out against residual religious influences in our lives. If I like it, i'll do it. I could care less of the roots of the activity, or what it means, or the implications.

I'm an apathetic atheist. I simply don't care enough to get upset over accidental religious incidents in my life. I've got bigger things to worry about than the implications of enjoying (and I use that word purposely) our short time perpetuating the myth of Santa before the kids get older and start to be more independent.

Try and convince me as an atheist that I shouldn't do such a thing? My response is simply "meh".
That's Ok, They also serve who also stand and don't actually bash those of us who are activist. The point of the video was not to drum up a rush to the colours, but to correct a widespread propaganda that religion is good for us, true or not. In your life of wanting to be left alone to do your own atheist thing, next time some theist tries to play the 'Religion is good for you' card, you will have the answer all ready.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:36 AM

361 posts, read 385,435 times
My family are atheists.

We have a Christmas tree, decorations, lied to the kids about Santa even put cookies out for him, give presents .............. the whole shooting match.

Why? Because its a lot of fun. Was fun, is fun now, and odds suggest will be fun in the future. My family has not suffered as a result of this practice.

We don't have a axe to grind with any group, but the yearly harangue from the anti-Clausites is just as tiresome as the rants from the eternal damnation crowd.

If we are sincerely concerned about the truth lets stop telling the young that if they sacrifice their youthful halcyon days in pursuit of a professional career they will find happiness and fulfillment.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:50 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
where does Santa parallel religion?
Saint Nick? Arrives on the supposed birthday of Jesus? Has the same job as god in that he reviews all behavior and issues rewards or punishments accordingly?

And you fail to see a parallel?

As for the main question.....Santa is harmless and passes with the maturity of the child. Santa is a kid thrill and why deprive them?

Old 12-21-2016, 03:43 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
So lying is okay?

I disagree.
How the heck do you get "lying is okay" out of "the only thing that matters is having fun with it"??

Old 12-21-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
How the heck do you get "lying is okay" out of "the only thing that matters is having fun with it"??
I'm very surprised a man with your intelligence asked me that.

Re-read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism