Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 07:39 AM

15,742 posts, read 20,327,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I was the only openly atheist at my Catholic high school, so if any storming out was to be done, I would have been the one doing it.

I never did, I stayed to torment my teachers in the religion classes. There were several of them who I suspect would have welcomed a storm out by me, provided I did not return.

Same here. I seemed to love challenging my religion teachers. I may have entered Catholic HS on the fence, but I left 100% atheist.

Other classes were fine. Other being taught by a Brother or Sister, the classes were taught in a way that probably wouldn't differ from a public school. No need to storm out.

I was in an engineering program in college in the northeast. Religion was far from everyone's thoughts in every class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 10:51 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,027,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruciful View Post
I went to a public university where I took one philosophy class and later a biology class.

At the beginning of those classes, both professors had a disclaimer basically stating that they weren't trying to convert anyone, mock religion or base grades on how nonreligious someone is; they're just trying to teach a subject. Apparently it's not that uncommon for a few people to storm out during the first few lessons especially in my professor's biology class. My philosopy teacher was actually some form of Christian (don't recall which one, he was Scottish though) but he's still had students storm out before.

The classes I took really did not include any mockery of sort.

Most theists at my school could handle these classes well, but the ones who couldn't, what was their idea of science in the first place leading them to pick biology as their science requirement?

I went to church with friends a few times before and had a decent time; I had a general idea of what I was walking into and didn't storm out because I disagreed with everyone.

I'm really curious but I don't think I could ask this in the other forum without being accused of being a troll.
Just yesterday I was cruising around the Net and I went to a site where an admitted Muslim asked if there was any scientific evidence that the first human was made of clay, by the hand of God. I replied that there was no scientific evidence, or valid evidence of any kind that the first human was made from clay, or by the hand of a god. However there was overwhelming evidence that the first human evolved from primates somewhere around 150,000-200,000 years ago. The person decided to argue about it, asking to see evidence of "a change of kind". I had seen that very phrase before and I knew that it came from willful ignorance. So I stated that I did not have the time or the energy to educate anyone in biology, specifically human evolution, and if he wanted to believe in mythology over scientific research, I could not stop him. So much for my career as an educator.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:52 AM

7,581 posts, read 6,047,488 times
Not Science, but Figure Drawing exercises in a basic drawing class.
There was a student who was a very vocal member of the church of christ. One day, when a nude man showed up to the class to model for figure drawing exercises, she left, later told the teacher that "Nudity violates my religious beliefs"

Don't think she made it very far in the art program either, being that after that class, two semesters of figure drawing were required. I had the meanest figure drawing teacher ever, and even with that never stormed out of class.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:20 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,026,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Same here. I seemed to love challenging my religion teachers. I may have entered Catholic HS on the fence, but I left 100% atheist.

Other classes were fine. Other being taught by a Brother or Sister, the classes were taught in a way that probably wouldn't differ from a public school. No need to storm out.

I was in an engineering program in college in the northeast. Religion was far from everyone's thoughts in every class.

At my high school the religious elements spilled over into the history classes and we were taught a distorted version of things based on buffering the image of the church at the expense of the truth. The Roman Empire was completely evil because it persecuted Christians, and then in a sudden reverse, became quite holy after Constantine. The French Revolution was evil because it targeted the church. Colonization was absolutely justified by the fact that the Europeans were bringing the gift of Jesus to the lands that they were stealing. Inquisition? Never mentioned. Charlemagne spreading Christianity at swordpoint? Never mentioned. The Crusades? Holy and justified war against the evil Islamic occupiers of the Holy Lands. Any facts which tended to contradict these viewpoints were overlooked or deliberately ignored.

I had to relearn history on my own.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:21 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,349,217 times
I dropped out of 9th grade biology because it I was under the delusion that evolution taught we evolved from monkeys. I was a hard core YEC back then. I eventually came to my senses.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:47 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,513,737 times
no, my parents sent us to catholic school. Catholics use science. Not as fast as I would like, but they do. My science teachers (a few brothers) told me, we talk about how things work, go to theology for the religious stuff.

I stop going to the "theology" in like the 3rd grade. How can we talk about god of we don't "snipe" (thanks trans) observations used to build a better picture.

They laughed at me for not believing. I laughed at them for believing in a boogeyman, we had a great time. My dealings with religious people has only been normal, reasonable, and logical. In high school, we had too much fun laughing at each other.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:14 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,043,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Just yesterday I was cruising around the Net and I went to a site where an admitted Muslim asked if there was any scientific evidence that the first human was made of clay, by the hand of God. I replied that there was no scientific evidence, or valid evidence of any kind that the first human was made from clay, or by the hand of a god. However there was overwhelming evidence that the first human evolved from primates somewhere around 150,000-200,000 years ago. The person decided to argue about it, asking to see evidence of "a change of kind". I had seen that very phrase before and I knew that it came from willful ignorance. So I stated that I did not have the time or the energy to educate anyone in biology, specifically human evolution, and if he wanted to believe in mythology over scientific research, I could not stop him. So much for my career as an educator.
I hope you added that last part, because seriously charity work is hard to do... especially for people who keep swiping away the plate of good sense and furthered understanding.

Some people are actually PAID to educate others on these very complex, important, and applicable issues.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:29 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,042,983 times
Nah, in the school system in my town us kids were disabused of the notions of supernatural stuff in elementary school. We were taught real science and shown how numerology, astrology, etc. were fakery and BS. 'Religious' stuff never became an issue.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:43 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,513,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I hope you added that last part, because seriously charity work is hard to do... especially for people who keep swiping away the plate of good sense and furthered understanding.

Some people are actually PAID to educate others on these very complex, important, and applicable issues.
yeah, totally. Charity should not be a tax. I give money and when they pizz on me I can stop giving. Regardless of how many kids they have. The cycle will end.

Reality just doesn't bite, it eats.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:49 PM

11,676 posts, read 2,926,550 times
If that's what any students are doing they must think the world will lay down at their feet. Triggered? Ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism