Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2017, 04:31 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times

Advertisements

Think marble cake will be back? :sad:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 05:32 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
I hope she will. This place is addictive

Old 04-26-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
See post 69.
Rubbish.

Nevertheless, the 'Day = ages" argument is a nice example of the whole approach of Theistic apologetics. It is not proper explanation, exegesis or demonstration, but is woffle designed to confuse, bewilder and bamboozle.

When I use terms like "Doesn't stack up" I am not being rhetorical - when you know the whole of the claim (genesis, here) and the facts -cosmology, palaeogeology, palaeobiology and palaeontology (roll those around the palate lads and lassies), and think it through (something expressly forbidden in the Ghost Bible (the one you get when you translate the one we use from Theist into English) you really find even the trick of the 'Shoehorn Genesis into science and claiming that Genesis was Science all the time' ( it's one of my favourites) argument doesn't work.

That's when the Trick fails to work, and the fallback position is to ''Science doesn't know everything', "You just have to have Faith" or engineer a fight and play the stalk off in dignified dudgeon card.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:10 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
As well as the Op question, we might also ask:

Isn't it bizarre that humans still believe in astrology?
Isn't it bizarre that humans still believe in numerology?
Or EST?
Or palm readers?
Or Ouija boards?
Or pre ordained destiny?
Or that "what goes around comes around?"

In the cases of the above, when asked how such beliefs are sustained, we answer via ignorance or stupidity.

But we don't want to insult the religious, do we?

Old 05-02-2017, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
As well as the Op question, we might also ask:

Isn't it bizarre that humans still believe in astrology?
Isn't it bizarre that humans still believe in numerology?
Or EST?
Or palm readers?
Or Ouija boards?
Or pre ordained destiny?
Or that "what goes around comes around?"

In the cases of the above, when asked how such beliefs are sustained, we answer via ignorance or stupidity.

But we don't want to insult the religious, do we?
UFOlogy bid fair to become a cult, if not a religion. In the days when I was involved in it, I attended the meetings and saw all the emerging signs of control, doctrine, slapping down dissent. Endless streams of Evidence - all anecdotal, unverifiable and very often ranging from hard to believe to quite obvious fakes, like a slide show of beautiful UFO models suspended from trees (not intended to fool anyone of course - if anyone had dared to speak up - but just to Enhance Faith). There was even the 'cannot reveal themseves' excuse plus the "If you don't believe..you will be doomed" threats, except while the excuses and threats were there, the rationale behind them had not yet (like what aliens actually looked like) been codified. It was a working study of cult - doctrine in the making.

But I particularly liked the great schism between the ET and demoniac theory. The demoniac (Bible- believers to a man) side Walked, no doubt to pray for us - if they had been a big enough majority, you can bet the ET denomination (1) would have been expelled. No intelligence allowed.

(1) in fact I doubted the ET theory, but tended towards the Ultra-terrestrial theory. Indeed I had a Theory.....

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-02-2017 at 05:33 AM..

Old 05-02-2017, 11:47 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
The notion of sustaining belief in the absence of reason has reminded me of a joke.

What do Deadheads say when they run out of drugs?

Spoiler
"What a crappy band!"

Old 05-04-2017, 07:08 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,794,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
This just boggles my mind how such a large percentage of the population goes to church to worship a God that doesn't exist and shows absolutely no signs of existing. Its just so primitive. Realistically it seems like once humans became smart enough to build things, have reasoning skills, write, speak, create civilizations, we would have reached the level of intelligence to realize there is no God. I just don't get it.
Yeah, seriously. I had a conversation with friend on the phone yesterday and he asked me to pray for him, and once again I had to tell him that I DON'T PRAY. I've never seen such stubbornness about something so obviously in-your-face ridiculous as I see here in the South with these bible thumpers. They are relentless, and then he said that I should pray, it would make me happier and I had to say, again, that I am perfectly happy without prayer it is not a requirement for happiness. Then he accused me of being "bound and determined" to reject God and then I was like "dude, it is not about being bound and determined, it just is what it is". And with that I told him I did not want to talk about it anymore.

Really? I get so irritated living here and having all my friends and family so damn religious and self-righteous, it's nauseating. I've been real sick the last 3 months and I am finally feeling better so I intend to reach out to whatever small community of atheists exist around here. I've got to find people, even if it's only one person, who is like-minded. And don't get me started on all the Facebook religious crap I have to endure! Some day I'm going to move to a less religious part of the country.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:03 AM

Yes, indeed. If only to let others now they are not alone, hellbound satanspawn like me have to kep doing this.

One of the most severe problems of the deconvert is that they think they are alone. Religion has a community, organisation, a whole bandobast designed to keep the believer in the fold, and even if they don't believe, pretend they do

Atheists do not have an organisation or a system of keeping atheists disbelieving. Indeed one of the crying needs in the old days was for some support for those who had lost their faith and not only felt alone but under pressure to force them back into faith - just ike the "pray, you'll feel better" and then the accusation of being "bound and determined" to reject God, when in fact despite the most strenuous efforts to keep believing - you just couldn't.

And when we just have o [provide some support, conact and help for the devonvert - we're told we are a Church and a faith..

Old 05-04-2017, 08:39 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
And with that I told him I did not want to talk about it anymore.
I'd have told him that I didn't want to talk to HIM any more!

Quote:
I get so irritated living here and having all my friends and family so damn religious and self-righteous, it's nauseating.
Fear not old horse. There are people fighting in your corner.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I'd have told him that I didn't want to talk to HIM any more!

Fear not old horse. There are people fighting in your corner.
It's Filly.... And that explains the blood on the carpet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism