Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 08:48 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,824,608 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend introduced me to a band called Deicide... even the name's anti-religious. Awesome group, though they're very offensive... ^^;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 09:00 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
My boyfriend introduced me to a band called Deicide... even the name's anti-religious. Awesome group, though they're very offensive... ^^;
I've heard of them, but I've never listened to them. A listen to Greydon Square a lot. If you're a fan of atheist hip-hop, check him out.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:53 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
I have some various types of music that I like but none of it has anything to do with the religious or lack of religious beliefs of the writers of that music. I can think of one kind of music that is specifically made for a certain audience and that is the white supremacist, neo nazi types. There's a number of rock bands who put out racist cd's and they really suck at it.
Because I am a musician I appreciate skill and technical ability in a musician and of course well written material. I would never feel obligated to buy or even listen to music that was directed towards an atheist audience. I just like good music.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:56 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,790 times
I listen to hymns, mostly by shape note singers.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:43 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I've never really heard of it classified as a genre. I don't even know if I'd listen to it because it was in that genre anyway. I have heard that Rush wrote a lot of songs dealing with something of the sorts... I never was a big Rush fan though...
Big Rush fan here. There music is more agnostic/humanism.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Big Rush fan here. There music is more agnostic/humanism.
Emi loves her some Rush.

On a more indie note! My boyfriend also introduced me to Cursive, which seems to be rather anti-religious as well... particularly, on Christianity.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:55 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,938,468 times
i dont think theres much market for atheist music. Maybe if i travel further east will i find more of the stuff

Old 04-11-2008, 06:00 AM

Aaaactually, Cursive's pretty darn popular, namely because it's subtle but still there if you're paying attention.

And it's catchy.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:16 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
You can't be both. You have to believe in God to believe in Satan, because the Bible says he was God's creation. If you believe in Satan, you believe in God. If you don't believe in God, you don't believe in Satan.
Sorry, not true. In the Jewish religion, there is no belief in Satan, but there obviously is belief in God.

I'm so tired of people only considering the bible and Christianity and not the other religions that existed long before and still do!

But to answer the question, Bob Marley and reggae have songs that though not Atheist, question the church, priests and organized religion. As I type this, I wear a soul rebel t shirt

Old 04-11-2008, 08:26 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
Weird question.
Most popular music that I listen to is made by people who may not be bona fide atheists, but are certainly not religious. As I've written here before, religion just doesn't come into play in my life and, judging by lyrical content and general aesthetics, I suspect that is true of most of the musicians who I like.
Interestingly, Haaziq, of all the music I listen to, the only time Christianity pops up is in...hip-hop.
Even good indie rappers (like Common, for example) spout a lot of Christian rhetoric.
And the RZA is a hardcore 7%-er. So are a few other rappers I like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism