Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:22 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,754,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I just find it sad we can't come up with a wider vocabulary of insults and expressions of anger and annoyance when we are under pressure.
Oh, I could. But nobody would understand them. People these days seem to have woefully small vocabularies and if you use any words that are more than two or three syllables, they look at you as if you've grown a third eye or something.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:31 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Oh, I could. But nobody would understand them. People these days seem to have woefully small vocabularies and if you use any words that are more than two or three syllables, they look at you as if you've grown a third eye or something.
Isn't that part of the attraction !? I think we should take up a lot more Shakespearean insults and widen everyone's vocabulary !

Old 03-17-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Isn't that part of the attraction !? I think we should take up a lot more Shakespearean insults and widen everyone's vocabulary !
LOL no...it kind of defeats the purpose of swearing if nobody knows what you said and they have to ask what it meant. Kind of like having to explain the punch line of a joke, you know? I prefer to pull out the big guns in vocabulary when I have the need to put someone in their place.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:45 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times
I don't know, it seems quite a good way to put people down. It seems to really miff people when they have no come back....

Old 03-17-2008, 10:43 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
I'll start cursing in Dutch then, that'll do it...Call it "speaking in tongues"...

What's that all about? I need a thread about the people who pick up serpents and drink poison...And speak in tongues...That would be interesting.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I'll start cursing in Dutch then, that'll do it...Call it "speaking in tongues"...

What's that all about? I need a thread about the people who pick up serpents and drink poison...And speak in tongues...That would be interesting.
Ah, let me show you to this thread then:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...practices.html

Old 03-17-2008, 01:11 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,617 times
Quote:
Like this?

Go forward, and be choked with thy ambition! - Henry VII

Old 03-17-2008, 02:04 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,731 times
Sense sure you have, else could you not have motion; but sure that sense is apoplex'd.

Taken from: Hamlet

I found that one by googling "Shakespeare curses". Good fun. I prefer my well-known 4-letter words, though.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:21 PM

253 posts, read 1,740,400 times
Haha, "cookie huckleberry" is a good one. Thanks for that.

Lately I've been substituting the "goddamnit" and "jesus christ" phrases with this:

"MATT DAMON!" (spoken in a loud monotone)

For one, he's a talentless ass clown with the eloquence and charisma of Frankenstein. Two, he was repeatedly ridiculed in the indescribably hilarious movie Team America, which is where I picked up the phrase.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:30 PM

51 posts, read 109,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubler View Post
There are various curse words which are religious in connotation, yet are used freely as generic cursing, adjectives, and such.

I realize this forum is censored, but I'm sure you can figure out what I'm talking about. God#!@, Jesus Christ, etc.

I know an atheist who frequently uses the term "I swear to Christ" almost mindlessly, yet it stops me in my tracks every time and I wonder how a true atheist would say such a thing.

Another example is comedian David Cross, an outspoken atheist, who often says "I swear to God" in his dialogue.

Do you think these are just habitual and meaningless figures of speech, or would a true atheist not utter such words, period?
Nick:

I, for one, say things like "What in the name of Mephistopheles are you doing?!" and "God's below, what is your problem?!"

"What in the Overlord's name is that?!"

Well, that's how I curse anyway.

Cheers,

Nick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism