Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 10:59 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,233 times

Advertisements

As an atheist, the more I talk to Christians, the more I have come to believe they treat this god and Jesus idea as a security blanket. So many Christians I know grew up in dysfunctional families. Apparently believing in this so called good god and all that praying they do to the imaginary god and this silly holy spirit thing, didn't help them get a better life. Yes, non religious people have grown up in dysfunctional families also but if you are making some case that believing in god alone gets you a better life, I'm not buying it.

A number of Christians say that when something good happens in their life, Jesus must love them. It always makes me laugh inside. They all share one thing in common. They apparently can't face reality on reality's term and need this imaginary god to get them through. Atheists face reality without the security blanket called god. It's called courage. I don't care if this post angers Christians. For all I know it might be deleted as the mods here seem to do that to some posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 11:30 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
As an atheist, the more I talk to Christians, the more I have come to believe they treat this god and Jesus idea as a security blanket. So many Christians I know grew up in dysfunctional families. Apparently believing in this so called good god and all that praying they do to the imaginary god and this silly holy spirit thing, didn't help them get a better life. Yes, non religious people have grown up in dysfunctional families also but if you are making some case that believing in god alone gets you a better life, I'm not buying it.

A number of Christians say that when something good happens in their life, Jesus must love them. It always makes me laugh inside. They all share one thing in common. They apparently can't face reality on reality's term and need this imaginary god to get them through. Atheists face reality without the security blanket called god. It's called courage. I don't care if this post angers Christians. For all I know it might be deleted as the mods here seem to do that to some posts.
If the doctrine and philosophy of Christianity does not sit well with your logic, intelligence, common sense, research and experiences then it automatically makes you an Atheist?

"It's either the Bible God or no God". Is that your vision?

Old 11-11-2017, 11:31 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,342 times
Quote:

I'm just curious, is your statement actually meant to only target Christianity or all religions in general. Because here you seem to only show animosity towards the Christian faith. I only ask this because most religions that believe in an all powerful God do indeed feel they are protected by their chosen deity and that their God has a plan for them. They don't call it a security blanket though. They call it faith. And because of this faith, many people are able to more easily process and accept pain and loss because of the comfort they feel at the idea that whatever has befallen them was a part of God's plan, and that the loved ones they have lost are now in a better place with their God.

However, with all that having been said, I've never met a Christian, Jew, Muslim, etc. who actually thought God was going to step in and give them a better life. I don't know who you've been talking too, but apparently they've taken their belief to a more extreme level where God passes out gifts like he's the head of some heavenly welfare state. Most people of faith that I come in contact with believe that through perseverance and faith they can achieve any goal they set for themselves. These people face life with the same courage that you do. The only difference is they believe in a higher power who is ultimately watching over them. Everybody needs a helping hand once in a while. And for people of faith, that helping hand need not be made of flesh and blood. They carry their support with them everywhere they go. People of faith are never truly alone. And courage is not something measured by whether or not a person has faith in a higher power.

Sometimes, courage is holding onto your convictions when faced with the adversity presented by a society that increasingly does not believe in a higher power.

I am agnostic.

*****I may not agree with what you say, but I'd defend to the death your right to say it!*****

Old 11-11-2017, 11:39 PM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:

And, some of them seem to need the threat of fire and brimstone to follow the Ten Commandments, while they ought to be leading a moral life simply for intrinsic reasons.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
If the doctrine and philosophy of Christianity does not sit well with your logic, intelligence, common sense, research and experiences then it automatically makes you an Atheist?

"It's either the Bible God or no God". Is that your vision?
I can't speak for Texan2008, but some of us believe it's possible there is a deistic god. But the way you phrased your post, it doesn't sound as it you have much faith (pun intended) in the Christian Bible.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I'm just curious, is your statement actually meant to only target Christianity or all religions in general. Because here you seem to only show animosity towards the Christian faith. I only ask this because most religions that believe in an all powerful God do indeed feel they are protected by their chosen deity and that their God has a plan for them. They don't call it a security blanket though. They call it faith. And because of this faith, many people are able to more easily process and accept pain and loss because of the comfort they feel at the idea that whatever has befallen them was a part of God's plan, and that the loved ones they have lost are now in a better place with their God.

However, with all that having been said, I've never met a Christian, Jew, Muslim, etc. who actually thought God was going to step in and give them a better life. I don't know who you've been talking too, but apparently they've taken their belief to a more extreme level where God passes out gifts like he's the head of some heavenly welfare state. Most people of faith that I come in contact with believe that through perseverance and faith they can achieve any goal they set for themselves. These people face life with the same courage that you do. The only difference is they believe in a higher power who is ultimately watching over them. Everybody needs a helping hand once in a while. And for people of faith, that helping hand need not be made of flesh and blood. They carry their support with them everywhere they go. People of faith are never truly alone. And courage is not something measured by whether or not a person has faith in a higher power.

Sometimes, courage is holding onto your convictions when faced with the adversity presented by a society that increasingly does not believe in a higher power.

I am agnostic.

*****I may not agree with what you say, but I'd defend to the death your right to say it!*****
I don't see where he shows "animosity". Can't someone critique something without showing animosity?

Old 11-11-2017, 11:42 PM

691 posts, read 419,927 times
If you are calling faith in a sentient conscience higher power (than humans ) an immature comfort during dark times, walk where you will

do not ask me for directions. I'll point you to a short walk that leads to a long fall.

Last edited by mstelm; 11-11-2017 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: Tablet

Old 11-11-2017, 11:46 PM

691 posts, read 419,927 times
On purpose.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:53 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't see where he shows "animosity". Can't someone critique something without showing animosity?

Really? After reading the OP you don't since a little animosity there aimed at Christians?

From the OP: "Apparently believing in this so called good god and all that praying they do to the imaginary god and this silly holy spirit thing, didn't help them get a better life. Yes, non religious people have grown up in dysfunctional families also but if you are making some case that believing in god alone gets you a better life, I'm not buying it."

In two sentences, the OP shows complete disdain for people of the Christian faith. He speaks about the praying they do their "imaginary" god and the "silly" holy spirit. My son is an atheist, and so is my brother, and neither of them have ever felt the need to demean the believers around them because while they may not believe, they have respect for other people and their beliefs. On the other hand, the OP's statement clearly shows his/her disdain for and animosity towards these people praying to their imaginary God for help. He then goes on to basically call them cowards, because unlike him, they choose to believe in a power greater than themselves. I'd say there's some clear animosity and disdain for people of the Christian faith present. In fact, the post is saturated with it. Not exactly what I or most people would consider a critique of religion or religious people.

*****I may not believe in what you say, but I'd defend to the death your right to say it!*****

Old 11-12-2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Really? After reading the OP you don't since a little animosity there aimed at Christians?

From the OP: "Apparently believing in this so called good god and all that praying they do to the imaginary god and this silly holy spirit thing, didn't help them get a better life. Yes, non religious people have grown up in dysfunctional families also but if you are making some case that believing in god alone gets you a better life, I'm not buying it."

In two sentences, the OP shows complete disdain for people of the Christian faith. He speaks about the praying they do their "imaginary" god and the "silly" holy spirit. My son is an atheist, and so is my brother, and neither of them have ever felt the need to demean the believers around them because while they may not believe, they have respect for other people and their beliefs. On the other hand, the OP's statement clearly shows his/her disdain for and animosity towards these people praying to their imaginary God for help. He then goes on to basically call them cowards, because unlike him, they choose to believe in a power greater than themselves. I'd say there's some clear animosity and disdain for people of the Christian faith present. In fact, the post is saturated with it. Not exactly what I or most people would consider a critique of religion or religious people.

*****I may not believe in what you say, but I'd defend to the death your right to say it!*****
No, I see no animosity. I see a critique and a point of view.

On the other hand, when Christians warn atheists that they will go to hell for not accepting Christ as their personal savior...that's animosity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism