Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 09:25 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Actually, every word spoken about God, his son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit glorifies them so........
Thank you in advance for the daily glorification.......
You probably think those brown blotches on tortillas are actually jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 11:53 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
One of the most profound statements I've ever read: All arguments are juvenile!

2 people come together, with helmets, metaphorically speaking, and they merely bang their helmets together, bang, bang, bang, with fixed opinions, cast in steel. How juvenile is that!!!

Moderator cut: We don't need Politics here.

If you're really, really confidant of your beliefs, there's no reason to argue or boast to others in what you believe!

Proselytizers give themselves away, the minute they try to convert you to their beliefs!

I have rock-solid beliefs in Astrology and Tantric Buddhism (a Rajneeshi here) and I know better than to waste my time and energy proselytizing or arguing!

Last edited by mensaguy; 12-05-2017 at 06:07 AM.. Reason: Removing unnecessary Politics.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:00 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
My own personal experience since I first began visiting this set of sub-forums about religion is that the more Christians talk the more I turn against them. I considered myself a Christian up until July, but more they put forth the case, the more flawed their beliefs seem to me to the point that some posts now leave me disgusted.

How do the rest of you atheists and agnostics feel as you read more and more posts by Christians? Are they self-defeating?
Personally I am absolutely tickled to death when Christians come onto the Atheist sub forum, and I invite them all to give it a go. Sometimes it is because they genuinely do not understand atheism and want to ask specific question. Those individual should be treated with courtesy because at least they are attempting to learn. As a rule atheists are certainly more than willing to provide answers. Those that come with an attitude and attempt lay down challenges by asking questions that they have been told atheists fear or cannot answer are even more fun.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:12 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
You can say the same about atheists.

The main difference is that Christianity is not merely the belief in God. Christianity is a morality system.

Atheists do not believe in God or an afterlife or karma or any of that. That alone discounts any potential consequences one must face in the afterlife, effectively giving them a free pass to do whatever they want as long as they don't get caught.

Atheism doesn't have a morality system. If an atheist is in a position of power, they should logically try to exploit their position, so they can enhance their quality of life, even if it comes at the cost of others.

Why? Because there are no consequences and they only live once.

Atheism is very dangerous because of this.
According to the Christian "moral system" it's reasonable to slaughter children and babies if their parents have been declared to be evil. According to the Christian "moral system," slavery is a natural state and should be practiced. As an atheist my own "moral system" merely involves practicing the golden rule. Which automatically rules out mass murder or the owning of other humans. Some people seem to prefer to remain moral neanderthals. But it should be noticed that neanderthals eventually died out.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:29 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Actually, every word spoken about God, his son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit glorifies them so........
A wonderful piece of fingers in the dears denial. You just keep tel;ling yourself that everything that comes out in the debate is goind you do God -belief some good, because the figures seem to show another result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
One of the most profound statements I've ever read: All arguments are juvenile!

2 people come together, with helmets, metaphorically speaking, and they merely bang their helmets together, bang, bang, bang, with fixed opinions, cast in steel. How juvenile is that!!!

No different in arguing with a Trump supporter!

If you're really, really confidant of your beliefs, there's no reason to argue or boast to others in what you believe!

Proselytizers give themselves away, the minute they try to convert you to their beliefs!

I have rock-solid beliefs in Astrology and Tantric Buddhism (a Rajneeshi here) and I know better than to waste my time and energy proselytizing or arguing!
There is every reason to debate argue and discuss. Comparing notes and testing hypotheses is the way we make progress, discover things and improve our knowledge.

I dont know whether it was your intention as opposed to a sadness that we have to be rowing and arguing all the time (which view I can understand), but to suggest to atheists that our contrant debating and arguing is wrong or futile, were we to pay heed to it, would serve only to shut us up, which is just what the believing side would love, leaving them able to push their religious claims without anyone questioning them.

So you see, we can't possibly take much notice of your argument, because we know this has to be done and we are already seeing some results.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:15 PM

12,169 posts, read 2,959,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Personally, I pity them. Most are just blatantly cult zombies. It would be nice to see one actually use rational thought when debating, but I'm not holding my breath. Best I hope for is that lurkers are using rational thought.
Yes! And I can't help but think our posts help those who are nearing levels of personal and intellectual honesty needed to deconvert from whatever brainwashing they've received. That's all any of it is, brainwashing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
As a person who was once a Christian, I know what theism is like. And for all of the well-known reasons, I generally do not like religions. Almost no theist was a lifelong atheist and then "found God" as an adult. Those few who did, rarely found God based on a critical examination of their religion of choice. Point is: if a theist is going to approach me for purposes of converting me into a religious person, assuming I have the time, I would probably be willing to enter into a polite discussion. If that discussion should commence, I most likely have the advantage of experience: the experience of both theism, and atheism. I have found that to be a significant advantage. To paraphrase a line from a movie: it almost seems as though they are bringing a knife to a gunfight. And yes, I generally find it oddly enjoyable.
Such a good post. It is almost funny and a bit sad how childlike many believers' posts are. Many of them really do think they're going to "turn" us. lol Suddenly reality will fall from our eyes and we'll become emotionally vested in the same silly nonsense they are.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:23 PM

12,169 posts, read 2,959,937 times
Quote:
What is the Latin for, argument from the pov of "I'm right. So there! Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You probably think those brown blotches on tortillas are actually jesus.
Don't forget the toast. lol

Old 12-09-2017, 12:07 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Atheists do not believe in God or an afterlife or karma or any of that. That alone discounts any potential consequences one must face in the afterlife, effectively giving them a free pass to do whatever they want as long as they don't get caught.
So the only reason you don't have sex with children is because you're afraid of what your god will do to you when you die??

Quote:
Atheism is very dangerous because of this.
What is 'dangerous' is people who live their lives in wilful ignorance, think ancient mythology is true and who teach the same to their children.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:35 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
What is the Latin for, argument from the pov of "I'm right. So there! Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah"?
The informal logical fallacy is 'Appeal to dogmatism' or "invincible ignorance', but nobody gave the latin. Could be in the days of "the Latin -speaker is Learned" - thinking those were considered perfectly valid.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:11 AM

88,513 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
+1 There are a few posters like that one here so I know it's not a one off.
Thank you. I know others like me in RL, of course. We generally don't walk around spouting about our beliefs, though, because they ARE personal. We might discuss spiritual thoughts and experiences with one another within our own community. Or even with others who are not of like mind but are open to and appreciative of other spiritual paths--or the lack of a need for one--as we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism