Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 06:56 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
There are many real atheists, as well as agnostics, and the "nones" -- those who have no religious affiliation are growing in number, and so is their influence.

The only "holiday" that might be in danger is Halloween, which is no great loss.
I agree- they could do away with halloween for all I care. Peoples influence is temporary, Gods influence is eternal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 07:12 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
If someone wants to be an atheist- that's on them. My comfort level correlates to my level in trusting God- others opinions besides His are irrelevant.
But you aren't privy to any god's opinions, only your own opinions for which you claim divine backing. If I arrived at your door and announced that god wants me to kill you, would you automatically accept that as god's opinion, or would you conclude that this was my own thinking and decision?

Why should anyone view your claims differently?

Old 02-07-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
But you aren't privy to any god's opinions, only your own opinions for which you claim divine backing. If I arrived at your door and announced that god wants me to kill you, would you automatically accept that as god's opinion, or would you conclude that this was my own thinking and decision?

Why should anyone view your claims differently?
Believe whatever you want- I have no influence on your faith. God and satan are the only ones with influence over people. With God, it's only if we let Him influence us- if not satan is our default influence. I'm not here to debate- people don't admit when they are wrong, so I don't waste time trying to "win them over" to my side.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Just what is a Fake atheist like? And negligible influence...as yet. I am wagering that it's coming.

Yes, but the lawsuits often succeed, and in a big way - preventing the erosion of the wall between church and state, even if government is stuffed with Bible literalists.

And the fact of minimal atheist numbers is ignoring the reality. Those who identify as atheist (about half the 'nones' I gather -around 8-9%) aren't the problem for Christianity- it is the rise in those who may or may not believe in a god, and may even believe in Jesus, but they do NOT believe in any organized religions.

They are the ones who will rock your boat in no uncertain way in the very near future. And the atheists while helping them to do will be saying 'We really aren't one of you - you're one of us". With either an 'Oh Really?' or an 'Oh yeah?' response.
People will do whatever they want. God is in charge, so I choose to not worry over what they do. He has proven trustworthy to me, while people have not.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:12 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Believe whatever you want- I have no influence on your faith. God and satan are the only ones with influence over people. With God, it's only if we let Him influence us- if not satan is our default influence. I'm not here to debate- people don't admit when they are wrong, so I don't waste time trying to "win them over" to my side.
Then what is your purpose in posting?

Old 02-07-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
People will do whatever they want. God is in charge, so I choose to not worry over what they do. He has proven trustworthy to me, while people have not.
LOLLOLLOL

God is in charge. People will do what they want.

You need to think about those 2 opposing statements.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:16 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
I'm not here to debate- people don't admit when they are wrong, so I don't waste time trying to "win them over" to my side.
Yet here you are debating. If you were "not here to debate" you wouldn't be here and you wouldn't be debating, would you?

And you didn't answer my question. Would you automatically accept any claims from me about my actions or thoughts having divine backing? And if not, why would you think that claiming such a thing in this forum would impress anyone?

Old 02-07-2018, 11:18 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
It's pretty clear, Bryan, that you are saying that nothing we do really matters, God is in charge. Very well: we have heard that before and if you believe it, we don't. For us, we are the only ones here and we have the responsibility. Gods do not actually come into it at all, and those who proclaim that this or that god is in charge are merely making like a goldfish, and those who try to make society dance to to the tune that they believe this or that god is singing is sooner or later going to find themselves on the sidelines of society, talking to themselves.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Yet here you are debating. If you were "not here to debate" you wouldn't be here and you wouldn't be debating, would you?

And you didn't answer my question. Would you automatically accept any claims from me about my actions or thoughts having divine backing? And if not, why would you think that claiming such a thing in this forum would impress anyone?
Find another witness to badger- I've blocked you.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It's pretty clear, Bryan, that you are saying that nothing we do really matters, God is in charge. Very well: we have heard that before and if you believe it, we don't. For us, we are the only ones here and we have the responsibility. Gods do not actually come into it at all, and those who proclaim that this or that god is in charge are merely making like a goldfish, and those who try to make society dance to to the tune that they believe this or that god is singing is sooner or later going to find themselves on the sidelines of society, talking to themselves.
I'd just add one more thing. I'm willing to put it all on god's shoulders (if there is a god). But that means ALL. The good and the bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism