Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 01:23 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Yeah, thought I'd post here since the bumbleheads in the main forum wouldn't care anyway. Some people who are left might give a damn ... and I DID say that I wouldn't leave without at least telling someone.

So yeah.

The reason is because this isn't enjoyable anymore. Oh, I still love being a militant atheist.

But the membership here has devolved considerably and no one even tries to challenge me anymore.

They either ignore me, talk ABOUT me instead of to me, dismiss my posts with snide comments, and, I'm sure you've seen it for yourself.

There just aren't any Jeffbases or Vizios or Eusebiuses or people like that around anymore, those who at least had the wherewithall and gumption to take their best shots at me.

Now I just feel like I'm wasting my time.

Oh, I dunno ... maybe I'll move down to the politics forum.

But I'm not going to deal with the pain in my hands to type things only to be ignored, dismissed, and unchallenged.

I plan to just take a long break. But more often than not, my long breaks become permanent ones as I end up finding somewhere else to hang my hat and a whole new crop of fundamentalists to annoy.

I'll log in for, perhaps the remainder of the week. Then, meh ... time for some fly fishing or gardening or quilting or whatever things retired people do with their time.

Cheers.
This is my personal opinion and I may be wrong. And nothing personal against but your replies are usually just way too long.

And I think what happens is that the reader either doesn't have time/stamina to read such long rants, or sometimes the potency of the post is diluted when the knee jerk reaction type replies are 50 odd lines long.

Perhaps you should try short n sweet answers that are to the point. Make it precise and interesting, and sometimes throw in some sarcasm and make an attempt at humor.

No need to always write such burned up replies. Take it easy and laugh it off sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 05:37 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
This is my personal opinion and I may be wrong. And nothing personal against but your replies are usually just way too long.

And I think what happens is that the reader either doesn't have time/stamina to read such long rants, or sometimes the potency of the post is diluted when the knee jerk reaction type replies are 50 odd lines long.

Perhaps you should try short n sweet answers that are to the point. Make it precise and interesting, and sometimes throw in some sarcasm and make an attempt at humor.

No need to always write such burned up replies. Take it easy and laugh it off sometimes.
That reminds me of the scene in the film Amadeus - when the king thought one of Mozart's pieces too long...

King: It's too long Herr Mozart. Too many notes.
Mozart: There are as many notes as is require Sire. No more and no less.
King: Just....remove some notes!
Mozart: And just which notes do you suggest I remove?

Old 02-12-2018, 05:46 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times
Quote:

Yes, by no means should Shirina make someone read something longer than a verse or two. The religious can't handle actually reading.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:16 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:

You are wrong. Shirina's posts are more worthwhile reading than most others' posts that are a third the length. Not only are they a delight to read, but make sound point after point, which is a sight more that one gets from the average theist one line post.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
That reminds me of the scene in the film Amadeus - when the king thought one of Mozart's pieces too long...

King: It's too long Herr Mozart. Too many notes.
Mozart: There are as many notes as is require Sire. No more and no less.
King: Just....remove some notes!
Brilliant my dear old pork -puller, and like the equally celebrated 'I don't think that word means what you think it means' makes more sense in another context than the original. And it has to be said is one of those that lend itself to atheist apologetics, because Theist apologetics misunderstand and have (often deliberately) limited attention spans

I need only add, old beansprout, that the film rather adapts the supposed exchange:

DIE ENTFÃœHRUNG AUS DEM SERAIL,'' or ''The Abduction From the Seraglio,'' is the opera Mozart was counting on to make his fortune. That it did not reflects on the sorry state of copyright protection around 1782, the year of its premiere, in Vienna. Its success led in short order to productions in more than a dozen other German-speaking cities. Even the infamous Archbishop Colloredo of Salzburg, who had chased Mozart from his service with a boot in the backside, deemed ''Abduction'' ''really not bad at all.''
True, there is that exchange between Emperor Joseph II of Austria and the composer. Apocryphal piffle, the best authorities say, but revealing all the same.
The emperor: ''Too beautiful for our ears, my dear Mozart, and monstrous many notes.''
Mozart: ''Exactly as many as are necessary, Your Majesty.''

The exchange was more about the complexity of the music, rather than the length. It was too difficult to follow, is the idea. It may have happened or not. In fact the film, while I love it (especially the cut nude scene (1) is based on a pack of lies. 'History buffs' Amadaeus explains the true facts.

(1) there is no shred of evidence that Mozart's wife ever peddled her ass to Salieri and, if she had, the real Salieri would have grabbed it with both hands.

P.s got as far as Mount of Olives. Damn' hard to climb, that. Slippery.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:00 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Brilliant my dear old pork -puller[i]
The emperor: ''Too beautiful for our ears, my dear Mozart
Oh That's It!!...

I was attempting to steer clear of this self thrown combination pity/going away party (which somehow has a distinct air of "invitation only" to it, I might add) but the comparison to Mozart is just too much, so I'm crashing it..

If Shirina (along with any other poster that considers themselves equal status) truly is the "Mental Master-Debater" of self claim and accolade, then she will easily be able to formulate a brilliant original joke on the "joke thread" which seemingly reduces the best debaters here to "Mental Masturbators" or no higher ability/intellect greater than the computer forum version of a "retriever" dog. Merely fetching/posting videos and images and re-posting them.

IMO, comedy requires one to have many more intellectual and emotional oars in the water over a more focused and finite debate topic (more awareness, deeper emotion and observation skills too). Why do you think so many comedians and comic actors wind up depressed (with varying results from semi-serious to tragic)? They see the troubles of the world more clearly and it affects them on a deeper level.

I'm not about to compare myself to some of the more brilliant comedians, but I do try as I may to at least get some original stuff on the joke forum (stoopid as some of it may be).

So there you have it Shirina (and any others of equally ascribed status), go over and post an original joke. I'm expecting sheer genius and a very funny joke under the circumstances. I'll even suggest an opening line (to help anyone up to the challenge) below:

"A Darwinist, Evangelical and an Atheist Walk Into A Bar" (and the bartender is a chimpanzee)

Old 02-12-2018, 08:40 AM

The problem there is the 'make one proverb' apologetic. Make one and it is automatically not as good as the ones in the Bible.

Besides, there's a difference between the stand up comedian that tells a string of jokes and the one that goes off on absurd situations. And nobody said you needed an invitation to the shreikfest occasioned by Shirina's retirement announcement (the only comparison I can think of is Shaun Connery's retirement from making Bond films. They tried to do one without and the director said effectively 'For freaques sake, get Connery back, I don't care if you need to dig him up and revive him') and a situation rather like the Dwarves offering Gandalf Almost Anything when he is going to leave then on the edge of Mirkwood.

However, there are various tricks to constructing Jokes. I've never been any good at them but....

"A Darwinist, an Evangelical and an Atheist Walk Into A Bar" (and the bartender is a chimpanzee)

A Darwinist, an evangelical and atheist walk into a bar, and there is a heated argument about evolution going on before they notice the barman is a Chimp (1).

'What'll it be gents?" After the Atheist has got his lager, the Darwinist his Real Ale and the evangelist his glass of milk, The Evangelist wipes the froth off his mouth (nothing to do with the milk - just goes with being an evangelist) and remarks:

"There's my disproof of evolution, gentlemen. This creature is perfectly capable of doing what a human can do without needing to evolve."

"Rubbish" says the Darwinist, not wiping froth from his mouth (it's Real Ale - there is No froth) 'It's because the species has evolved that it is able to do the bartending job.'

''Well, says the atheist, being a concrete thinker. 'Let's ask it. Have you evolved?"

"I suppose you could say I have.' replied the chimp. 'I used to be an evangelist, but then I went to night school.'

(1) actually a Bonobo and it's a barmaid, but it doesn't make a lot of difference.

Meh...whadya bastards know from funny?

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 02-12-2018 at 09:15 AM..

Old 02-12-2018, 09:33 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,481 times
Transponder, It's actually better (albeit longer) than the one I have up on the drawing board. If this is your first attempt, IMO you have a keen funnybone aptitude.

And me back to the drawing board to either lengthen, or make more funny in present parameters, my version of this joke...

Old 02-12-2018, 08:46 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Dear Shirina,

Please don't go! We all love you as well as your immensely brilliant mind and suburb writing skills. No matter how it feels you are really never alone...the Universe is all around you and full of energy and lifeforms. On top of that, your wise teachings are always in our minds, heart and soul. Trailblazer continue lighting the way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNyIntYGBOw

PS: Some cats are cool!
Well stated and very true.

Listening to the song ATM.

Shirina, we truly value you. Please don't go!

Last edited by 303Guy; 02-12-2018 at 08:58 PM..

Old 02-12-2018, 10:49 PM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Yes, by no means should Shirina make someone read something longer than a verse or two. The religious can't handle actually reading.

That was nice and short. See how that works?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism