Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 02:17 PM

34 posts, read 24,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Hi there

I used to be a Chrisitan and even used to go to church and at times 3 times a week. I read the bible several times, accepted Jesus into my heart, put my hand up at the altar call and done that several times in my life, debate atheist and tried to win them over and spoke in tounges.

Yet I am realising that God of the so-called Bible does not exist or if he does, he is absent. It not easy leaving the faith as there are things about the church I do miss such as the fellowship, the music. I do admit Churches can be good places to hand out with, yet the so called loving God I have seen seems absent. I not sure exactly what to believe. I not an atheist, yet I am really questioning my belief. It be nice if there was some God or higher power, yet letting go of the so called God is really hard for me.

I like to know with those that used to have a faith of a religion, was their an easy way to get away from that faith, and was it positive for you to turn back on your faith? Do you have any regrets?
Hi!

Interesting thread.

I view information from a "logic" or "data" perspective. Simply put hypothesis needs to be supported by credible scientific method.

Religion is based on faith which is not a part of the scientific method.

That pretty sums it up for me.

I am a firm believer in the First Law of Thermodynamics: energy is neither created nor destroyed. Not sure how that fits in the afterlife.

I grew up Catholic going to mass 6 days a week. I know the stuff they were teaching was horsecarp. It was not logical and adults never followed it. I tried later after I had kids to get back to it, out of Catholic guilt. It backfired because my kids are like me. LOL

It is not so much as turning your back on GOD as it is on your community of faith in the end. That is the really hard part.

You can celebrate holidays as secular American holidays, Santa, Bunny, etc.... So keep that in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 06:08 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
I left the church a long time ago. None of them permit us to question anything. I believe God wants to us search further than what the church limits us to.

I disagree that God is omnipresent and always watching us. That's kid stuff. Omnipresent can also mean that God's creations are all around us all the time, reminding us of His presence.

I can't believe in a God who does nothing as He watches a busload of children tumble over a cliff. I don't like being told "Well, that's God's will". If it's God will that His children burn alive in a gasoline fire, than what would Satan's will be?

I don't understand it all. I can't explain it all. I hate it when Christians pretend that they do. We can't possibly understand our Creator when we have such pea brains compared to His. He's still working on us. We're not supposed to know yet.

The Bible tells us to walk in faith, not in knowledge. God probably gave that instruction because He knows we'll never "get it" during our earthly lifetime.

Keep the faith, baby. It's all we have, really.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:15 AM

19,027 posts, read 27,592,838 times
OP, try this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert...ritual_teacher)

if you were honest about self progression. If you were, like what OSHO calls them, a "curious" one, then maybe next existence? Or following?

Why Adams? Because he points towards what literally EVERY spiritual leader or teaching points to - Learn your-Self. Nothing outside of your true Self is worth any effort.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:22 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
I like to know with those that used to have a faith of a religion, was their an easy way to get away from that faith, and was it positive for you to turn back on your faith? Do you have any regrets?
I attended Catholic school from K-8th grade. Up until age 12, I truly believed that Jesus, Mary, and the entire holy family was "up there" watching over me and granting eternal life to those who had died. This was more than just a faith to me; it was TRUTH and my #1 goal in life was to please Jesus. Also, I was convinced that I knew Jesus "better" than most other Christians. Yes, part of me saw myself as one of God's favorites.

My transition away from faith was a gradual process that was NOT easy. I wanted a God to exist; I needed for it to be true. If not Jesus, then somebody (ANYBODY). The internal struggle of no longer believing in the central figure that gave your existence meaning is very depressing.

The positive side of this is that I now have a greater respect for the people around me. As a Christian, when I offended people my attitude was "only god can judge me". Today, I understand that IF there is a god; he/she is speaking to me through the tears of those that I have offended. In my case, being an agnostic has elevated my morality. I now judge myself. I now try to be like a god; before I tried to be liked by god. Self examination was very difficult for me when I thought that a forgiving judge was in the sky smiling down on my mistakes.

Personally, I don't think I'm better than theists. However, I know that I'm now better than the theist that I used to be. This is what gives me peace.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:21 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I attended Catholic school from K-8th grade. Up until age 12, I truly believed that Jesus, Mary, and the entire holy family was "up there" watching over me and granting eternal life to those who had died. This was more than just a faith to me; it was TRUTH and my #1 goal in life was to please Jesus. Also, I was convinced that I knew Jesus "better" than most other Christians. Yes, part of me saw myself as one of God's favorites.

My transition away from faith was a gradual process that was NOT easy. I wanted a God to exist; I needed for it to be true. If not Jesus, then somebody (ANYBODY). The internal struggle of no longer believing in the central figure that gave your existence meaning is very depressing.

The positive side of this is that I now have a greater respect for the people around me. As a Christian, when I offended people my attitude was "only god can judge me". Today, I understand that IF there is a god; he/she is speaking to me through the tears of those that I have offended. In my case, being an agnostic has elevated my morality. I now judge myself. I now try to be like a god; before I tried to be liked by god. Self examination was very difficult for me when I thought that a forgiving judge was in the sky smiling down on my mistakes.

Personally, I don't think I'm better than theists. However, I know that I'm now better than the theist that I used to be. This is what gives me peace.
Beautifully stated. I'm still a theist but also feel that I'm better than the theist I used to be.

Geez, at least your judge was smiling down on your mistakes. Mine was always watching with a grim, unsmiling countenance, waiting to get me when I screwed up.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:32 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Mountains View Post

I am a firm believer in the First Law of Thermodynamics: energy is neither created nor destroyed. Not sure how that fits in the afterlife.
It doesn't. Our bodies, the life/death cycle all obey the law perfectly without any sort of afterlife tossed in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism