U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-16-2018, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
19,372 posts, read 9,124,652 times
Reputation: 18684

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I seem to recall that your were still a Christian or at least theist when you arrived. After comparing the relative performances, it took you about a fortnight to plump for atheism. If my memory is correct. Although as you have said, Buddhist atheism.
Yes, that is basically correct.

From the age of 5, my grandmother took me to the Methodist church somewhat regularly. At age 16, because the other side of my family...and my best friend...were catholic, I became a catholic. In 1986, at the age of 37, I was introduced to Buddhism, and began to meld christian principles with Buddhist principles (which is not as difficult as it sounds). But a year ago a tragic event happened in my life which led me to abandon christianity. If the promise of god always being with me was fulfilled when i needed him most...or any other time i needed him over the course of 60 years...then there is no sense in believing in the fairy tale. Heck, at least with Santa Claus I got gifts. At least with the Easter Bunny I got a basket of candy. At least with the Tooth Fairy I got quarters. But with christianity I got vague empty promises.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riH5EsGcmTw
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-16-2018, 02:43 PM
 
35,570 posts, read 9,254,167 times
Reputation: 4867
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, that is basically correct.

From the age of 5, my grandmother took me to the Methodist church somewhat regularly. At age 16, because the other side of my family...and my best friend...were catholic, I became a catholic. In 1986, at the age of 37, I was introduced to Buddhism, and began to meld christian principles with Buddhist principles (which is not as difficult as it sounds). But a year ago a tragic event happened in my life which led me to abandon christianity. If the promise of god always being with me was fulfilled when i needed him most...or any other time i needed him over the course of 60 years...then there is no sense in believing in the fairy tale. Heck, at least with Santa Claus I got gifts. At least with the Easter Bunny I got a basket of candy. At least with the Tooth Fairy I got quarters. But with christianity I got vague empty promises.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riH5EsGcmTw

Yay..zuzz..that's not a commercial - that's a TV show! And I thought it hilarious when they did a close up in hopes that you could actually see the beef in there. Was that, I wondered, the competitors' buns, showing how little you got?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2018, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Ohio
18,288 posts, read 13,427,192 times
Reputation: 14191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
That's all...why, how come?
I have no respect for anyone that is morally inferior to me.

Benevolent beings neither demand nor condone the establishment of dictators or monarchies.

Benevolent beings do not relegate people to second-class status because of their gender.

Benevolent beings do not focus on a particular ethnic group to the exclusion of all other ethnic groups.

A benevolent being does not order or condone genocide, and does not murder Millions with a flood for failing to comply with its directives, in spite of the fact that it totally ignored Millions and gave them no direction at all.

A benevolent being doesn't murder a man for "spilling his seed on the ground" and an omniscient benevolent being doesn't hold a contest knowing that one of the contestants will be murdered as a direct result of the omniscient being's actions.

Benevolent beings don't condone slavery, either.

Nor do benevolent beings demand animal sacrifices, and devote thousands of words to a text describing in every minute detail how animals are to be sacrificed.

Benevolent beings do not bar people from their house of worship, because they have a crushed testicle, are midgets, lame, bald or have an affliction.

Those are all the actions of sadistic malevolent beings, who are not worthy of respect.

The only real difference between Yahweh and Hitler, is Yahweh probably doesn't have a sporty mustache.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2018, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
52,101 posts, read 51,240,469 times
Reputation: 61216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I have no respect for anyone that is morally inferior to me.

Benevolent beings neither demand nor condone the establishment of dictators or monarchies.

Benevolent beings do not relegate people to second-class status because of their gender.

Benevolent beings do not focus on a particular ethnic group to the exclusion of all other ethnic groups.

A benevolent being does not order or condone genocide, and does not murder Millions with a flood for failing to comply with its directives, in spite of the fact that it totally ignored Millions and gave them no direction at all.

A benevolent being doesn't murder a man for "spilling his seed on the ground" and an omniscient benevolent being doesn't hold a contest knowing that one of the contestants will be murdered as a direct result of the omniscient being's actions.

Benevolent beings don't condone slavery, either.

Nor do benevolent beings demand animal sacrifices, and devote thousands of words to a text describing in every minute detail how animals are to be sacrificed.

Benevolent beings do not bar people from their house of worship, because they have a crushed testicle, are midgets, lame, bald or have an affliction.

Those are all the actions of sadistic malevolent beings, who are not worthy of respect.

The only real difference between Yahweh and Hitler, is Yahweh probably doesn't have a sporty mustache.
Good points, but in fairness, the OP said not using the Bible because "it's a crazy making source of contradictions". You proved her point, even though you didn't (thank you) actually quote verses.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2018, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
13,137 posts, read 10,968,312 times
Reputation: 15125
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
To answer your title question very bluntly...
While I can respect that you can believe whatever you'd like, I can't respect something I think is absurd.
Thanks to all.

I respect not believing in something you have not seen.
But, not even the possibility? I know different brains work differently...I'm a right brainer...so, there is that difference.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2018, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
13,137 posts, read 10,968,312 times
Reputation: 15125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Why don't you respect leprechauns? Or the idea of leprechauns?
Answer that question, and you have your answer as to why atheists don't respect God, or the idea of God. Or at the very least, the idea of one of the major religions Gods.

The sortagod thing is a non-starter for most people, because a sortagod would have no bearing on us whatsoever, and wouldn't be sending people to eternal hellfire or have people murdering others/denying rights based off of the belief in it. Simply making it irrelevant to our lives.
Oh you are SO funny that you would mention this!!!

You don't camp in central England, my friend, and not leave knowing there are little people, fairies and Leprechauns!!!!
Or in the farm country outside of Rome and not feel and hear the Legions out there still marchingmarchingmarching...
or stand outside the Coliseum and not hear the screams coming from there!
Oh my God.


(Pls note I am no lover of religions to say the least and Bible quotes? Eternal hell? ...forgetaboutit...for those that don't know me...)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2018, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
13,137 posts, read 10,968,312 times
Reputation: 15125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Why don't you respect leprechauns? Or the idea of leprechauns?
Answer that question, and you have your answer as to why atheists don't respect God, or the idea of God. Or at the very least, the idea of one of the major religions Gods.

The sortagod thing is a non-starter for most people, because a sortagod would have no bearing on us whatsoever, and wouldn't be sending people to eternal hellfire or have people murdering others/denying rights based off of the belief in it. Simply making it irrelevant to our lives.
Oh you are SO funny that you would mention this!!!

You don't camp in central England, my friend, and not leave knowing there are little people, fairies and Leprechauns!!!!
Or in the farm country outside of Rome and not feel and hear the Legions out there still marchingmarchingmarching...
or stand outside the Coliseum and not hear the screams coming from there!
Oh my God.


(Pls note I am no lover of religions to say the least and Bible quotes? Eternal hell? ...forgetaboutit...for those that don't know me...)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2018, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
13,137 posts, read 10,968,312 times
Reputation: 15125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Good points, but in fairness, the OP said not using the Bible because "it's a crazy making source of contradictions". You proved her point, even though you didn't (thank you) actually quote verses.
Yes, good points, indeed, thank you, MQ as to why the Bible ...well,...why
a person that believes in all the Hitleresque descriptions from, albeit,
well-intentioned primitive ancestors of ours are not to be taken too seriously.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2018, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
13,137 posts, read 10,968,312 times
Reputation: 15125
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
That's what so neat about agnostics...they do not have any need
for there to be or not to be any God(s).
I know, right?
Quote:
gabfest:I agree it would be refreshing but discussions require some level of maturity and most are not comfortable with others believing or not believing as they do.
I enjoy learning about others belief systems. I don't care if it's snake handling, moon worship, etc. It's not a problem for me unless I intend on dating those persons or their children.
I know...who cares if someone doesn't believe as you do?
I am curious why people believe what they do.
It doesn't compute in my mind why a person would be so closed to an idea of a Supernatural Infinite Being not limited to flesh and bones and this little 3rd dimension.
It's your basic Gene Roddenberry Interstellar-Inter-dimensional Being!!


Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 09-16-2018 at 04:42 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2018, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
13,137 posts, read 10,968,312 times
Reputation: 15125
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
In honesty, I actually think I have more respect for the
idea of a God than a lot of religious people...

My issue was never with “God” but those who “follow” him.
I know, right? Well said .
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top