Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 10:17 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,273,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
The point is, Miss Hepburn, that no one respects something that they find ridiculous. You can substitute leprechauns for anything you like. Flying Spaghetti Monster? Nessie? Aliens? Bigfoot? Unicorns (Not the fat grey ones )? Why do you not respect those, or the idea of those?
Even if you were to believe in those, you can substitute those for something else. Menehune? Jackalopes? Time travelers? Pick your poison..
Oh, but I do respect these, Imissthe90s! I miss the 70s....well, I still live it! Peace .
That is the very point in this thread, respecting ideas that seem ridiculous, but over centuries millions still believe.

I have investigated some (I mean read about) Why? Because too many people comment on them, so why? Whassup with that?...wanna know what I came up with?
Most things exist...just not in this dimension...and they 'bleed through' sometimes ...maybe in dreams, maybe to children, maybe to those on their death bed....unicorns exist and pegasi...maybe coming into the consciousness in nightmares*.

Blue Krishna playing a flute, also!!

* You might know a mare was (supposedly) a demon that visited in the night...to children mostly, and tormented people...
thus, the name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 10:39 AM

50,082 posts, read 20,559,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Hi Kara, I believe this...nothing is an accident or a coinkdinky. And the Universe works better than a Swiss watch.

Here: This video is based on Kepler's equations....the same used by NASA to shoot a probe to reach a speeding
asteroid in TEN YEARS! That landed perfectly! Ha!

LOL hahaha...(google Rosetta probe/ mission)( TRANSPONDER still has not watched it and
I think believes that 'star', was....well, I dunno what...T, watch this sometime all the way thru, please?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7YTE7WFB6Y
I'm not impressed so far. There have been many attempts to 'make Bible work'.There are also those who come up with 'real Jesus' theories and Interpret the Bible to fit. This of course means Interpreting the text, and that means assuming that the text recounts facts to begin with.

I haven't been able to watch it all as it spent a lot of time Loading (for me) but I noted that he focussed on what 'seen his star in the east' means. He assures us that it means 'seen his star rising in the east', while other others have claimed that it translates as we (in the east) have seen his star. But he tries to explain away why Magi (Chaldeans, possibly) should have associated some celestial sign with the birth of a Jewish ruler, by postulating that Daniel (itself a very doubtful story) instructed the Chaldean Magi so that they had Jewish scripture at their fingertips.

This apologetic is really already falling apart. The clumsy plot construction in Matthew gives away that this is an invented tale, evenaside that none of the other writers know about it. Where Matthew picked up the 'star and magi' idea is debated, but he for sure didn't pick it up from Jesus, Mary or the apostles as relating a real event.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Okay well I guess I'm referring to some version of a bible god which forms most people's perceptions of what a god is.
I'm okay with that kind of god. It's not that different from what I believe, which is that the universe 'just is' - but I believe it came about by physics and processes of nature that 'just are'.
I like the way you approach things. And your honesty.
It can be difficult getting the Bible God outta people's head...it's like a wine stain on linen.
Quote:
The laws of physics as we understand them are constant and unchanging and universal.
Are they? In this dimension they seem to be. But, from what I glean...
that was exactly what this advanced teacher
Jesus came to show...Nothing is what it seems guys....not gravity, not water, not death...not a wall.
He isn't the only one that can do these things...yogis do this stuff daily ...cuz they know what this place really is....atoms looking like 'shapes of things'....just juggle them around with thought and will power.
Elementary for a master....miraculous to the common mind.
Quote:
'He' must like it? I don't know about that. Does god feel emotional about stuff?
Why would that be if god just 'is'? Aren't you slapping an anthropomorphic concept
onto a divine being?
Of course, I understand every word of what you just said....I spent the majority of my years not knowing much at all about 'this being'.

I will say this...why couldn't a person think...we are not talking about me here...just anyone think that if a creature existed beyond time and space, infinite even, unimaginable to our minds...would that
creature or entity not be allowed feelings?
All life has feelings...why not a creator if there was one?

I will submit that 'this thing' is not just impersonal....but, the most personal that you could ever imagine! It is the invisible force making your fingernails grow while you sleep...'it just is'.
Quote:
I can respect your idea of god up to a point if what you think is that god just 'is'.
Once you start giving your god emotions and a decision making process, that's where you've lost me.
Thank you, and I understand...it was only around 2010 I blossomed in my knowledge of Who and What this Being actually was.
If you have not read much about me...I'm a drop diff than your average bear...in that for 45 years ...I sit in stillness and silence (dare I say meditation and hear the Christian shrieks of demons and satan?)...and for hours and hrs and hrs and hrs and hrs and more than that at a time.
This Being called God actually can be known and understood...ha, not with the intellect and books...but,
by direct, intimate contact.

Sound weird? Why would it be...meet 'a being' on 'It's turf'...tune into 'It's' frequency (everything is waves and vibratory frequency)...and voila!
And that turf is in a stillness...a stillness that is almost beyond belief...not your
average 15 minutes of pausing in the day to smell the roses.

A pleasure talking with you.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:05 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,593,188 times
Quote:
Oh, but I do respect these, Imissthe90s! I miss the 70s....well, I still live it! Peace .
That is the very point in this thread, respecting ideas that seem ridiculous, but over centuries millions still believe.

I have investigated some (I mean read about) Why? Because too many people comment on them, so why? Whassup with that?...wanna know what I came up with?
Most things exist...just not in this dimension...and they 'bleed through' sometimes ...maybe in dreams, maybe to children, maybe to those on their death bed....unicorns exist and pegasi...maybe coming into the consciousness in nightmares*.

Blue Krishna playing a flute, also!!

* You might know a mare was (supposedly) a demon that visited in the night...to children mostly, and tormented people...
thus, the name.
And my point was, if you find something ridiculous, you don't respect it, or the idea of it. It sounds to me like you find none of those things ridiculous, and instead think "most things exist... just not in this dimension". Or maybe, since you speak of dreams and nightmares, you are simply saying they exist because people see them in their dreams or something. I don't know. Either way, that doesn't make something real, or any less ridiculous. The amount of people who believe in something, or the timeframe that people have believed in something, doesn't make it any less ridiculous either.

Again, you are free to believe whatever you want, and I respect that. I do not have to respect the idea of something I find ridiculous and without merit, however.

As to the original post, I do not "respect God", simply because I do not believe in one. Why would I with zero proof? He hasn't talked to me while I meditated or anything.... As for the "idea of God", I do respect that. I believe I even made a point to say in my first post, that it is more the idea of a "religious God" that I don't really respect. The hellfire and talking snakes type nonsense. I have no problem with the idea of some "greater power". If you were to start in about that greater power needing worship however.....

Old 09-17-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'm not impressed so far. .
You will be when he downloads Kepler's and Nasa's program and shows you the Universe...or sky as seen there and then...
that fills in all the missing pieces so there is no room any longer for speculation on
what the heck that light was....and he goes much further...
on what was happening on the day of the crucifixion...cuz there were many stories of earth shattering events that tore curtains in the tabernacles asunder....whassup with that?
Well, he simply shows you.
Stick with it...watch in 10 min increments! Thanks

And can you forget Matthew while you watch this?

Old 09-17-2018, 11:16 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,814,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Any True atheist is an agnostic. Any True God -believer is also an agnostic. In fact everyone is truly Agnostic. Because nobody knows for sure.

Knowledge is not what it's about but belief.
This is true my dear old toe-rag, which makes me confused about your first paragraph. Yes, none of us know so as far as knowledge is concerned, we are all agnostic but it is BELIEF that defines whether one is theist, agnostic or atheist.

If one has a firm belief in the existence of gods then one is theist.
If one does not have that firm belief, one is atheist.
If one has no firm belief either way, one is agnostic.

So a true atheist is not agnostic (undecided) with regard to belief. He firmly beliefs that gods do not exist (he is NOT undecided).

Am I making sense my dear old fart....or should I go and take my tablets?

Old 09-17-2018, 12:07 PM

23,158 posts, read 26,104,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
This is true my dear old toe-rag, which makes me confused about your first paragraph. Yes, none of us know so as far as knowledge is concerned, we are all agnostic but it is BELIEF that defines whether one is theist, agnostic or atheist.

If one has a firm belief in the existence of gods then one is theist.
If one does not have that firm belief, one is atheist.
If one has no firm belief either way, one is agnostic.

So a true atheist is not agnostic (undecided) with regard to belief. He firmly beliefs that gods do not exist (he is NOT undecided).

Am I making sense my dear old fart....or should I go and take my tablets?
Maybe semantics again but in 'my world' agnostic does not mean undecided.It simply means that , although I am very decided as to my atheism, I intellectually have to admit that since I can't prove there are no gods, a teeny sliver of chance has to be allowed that there might be.
I kinda thought this had pretty much been agreed on in this forum but, sigh, I've been wrong before.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:10 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,593,188 times
Moderator cut: Quoted post deleted

Moderator cut: Response referring to deleted post

Miss Hepburn: Stuff like this is why we don't respect a lot of these folks. They speak in certainties, when they know nothing.

Last edited by mensaguy; 09-18-2018 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: Post which was quoted was deleted

Old 09-17-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Moderator cut: Deleted from quoted post
Miss Hepburn: Stuff like this is why we don't respect a lot of these folks. They speak in certainties, when they know nothing.
Agreed...I know, sis, I really do!

I am NOT a proponent of any sort of Blind Faith, what-so-ever.....now, IF pgargner said to me...
h/she was revealed or shown or had a near death exp....or his dear wife had a near death exp, and was an atheist and said, "Oh my god...bla blah"...then, I would listen and be very open.

Funny, I would say that because my friend, Carl, a criminal attorney from TX extraordinaire...and
a devout, firm atheist to the end...even saying to the Hospice nurse,
"Stop...I'm an atheist...just stop!" Kindly.
Did actually have 3 Other Side experiences from Midnight to 4:40 am when my best friend of 35 yrs, next to him, found him finally gone.

She has never been the same since actually. (Hmm?? another topic)

Here Carl was...drifting off into unconsciousness alone with his girlfriend in bed (both about 69)...when suddenly he would
gasp in air...and say, (about the same thing 3 different times), "Wh-what am I doing here? I want to be there....Oh it's so beautifullllll....there's so much loooooovvvvve."
This, from Carl of all people! LOL!
My friend was more than moved...seeing this guy ...well....change....before her eyes.

But, there are those that make things up and have flowery words that mean nothing. I know them quite well. I feel like Houdini exposing these idiot parrots of Preachers they've heard.

pgardner, I am not saying you are a parrot...but to a person of logic...what you said
sounds simply nuts...a flowery absurdity.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-17-2018 at 04:46 PM..

Old 09-17-2018, 03:59 PM

10,504 posts, read 6,122,425 times
Quote:
I like the way you approach things. And your honesty.
It can be difficult getting the Bible God outta people's head...it's like a wine stain on linen.
Are they? In this dimension they seem to be. But, from what I glean...
that was exactly what this advanced teacher
Jesus came to show...Nothing is what it seems guys....not gravity, not water, not death...not a wall.
He isn't the only one that can do these things...yogis do this stuff daily ...cuz they know what this place really is....atoms looking like 'shapes of things'....just juggle them around with thought and will power.
Elementary for a master....miraculous to the common mind.

Interesting... 'gravity is not what it seems'. Actually you are sort of right in a way. Newtons perception of gravity was very different from Einsteins perception. Newton saw gravity as a force - an attraction between two bodies - and his equations worked. And then Einstein came along and didn't see gravity as a force at all. He saw it as a distortion in the shape of space-time... And since we do not have a universal theory of everything, it is possible that we may view the universe one day in a completely different way, just as Einstein did.
I'm open to that.

Quote:
Of course, I understand every word of what you just said....I spent the majority of my years not knowing much at all about 'this being'.

I will say this...why couldn't a person think...we are not talking about me here...just anyone think that if a creature existed beyond time and space, infinite even, unimaginable to our minds...would that
creature or entity not be allowed feelings?
All life has feelings...why not a creator if there was one?

I will submit that 'this thing' is not just impersonal....but, the most personal that you could ever imagine! It is the invisible force making your fingernails grow while you sleep...'it just is'.
Thank you, and I understand...it was only around 2010 I blossomed in my knowledge of Who and What this Being actually was.
If you have not read much about me...I'm a drop diff than your average bear...in that for 45 years ...I sit in stillness and silence (dare I say meditation and hear the Christian shrieks of demons and satan?)...and for hours and hrs and hrs and hrs and hrs and more than that at a time.
This Being called God actually can be known and understood...ha, not with the intellect and books...but,
by direct, intimate contact.

Sound weird? Why would it be...meet 'a being' on 'It's turf'...tune into 'It's' frequency (everything is waves and vibratory frequency)...and voila!
And that turf is in a stillness...a stillness that is almost beyond belief...not your
average 15 minutes of pausing in the day to smell the roses.
It doesn't sound any more weird than the kind of stuff Mystic talks about. I think he claims to have had a similar experience. And I don't doubt that either of you believe what you think you believe.

I think many of us experience the world in a deep and unique way at times. I don't think atheists are any exception.
I doubt that human brains have the mental capacity to fully absorb the complexity, vastness and age of this universe and we are all seeking our own answers. That's what personally I would put yours and Mystics experiences down to - a way to explain and experience the universe in your way. Me - physics makes the most sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism