Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 04:08 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times

Advertisements

Words are tricky stuff. I'd say that everyting happens for some reason (as Mr Spock would say: "Random factors". They also do not always happen for an (intended and planned) reason. And if anyone plans them - it don't always happen. For example, the events of Genesis reminds me rather of Homer Simpson during the nuclear emergency test. Complete meltdown.

I don't know what I'm doing, either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rsk1quUps0

Nailed it

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-17-2018 at 04:26 PM..

Old 09-17-2018, 04:49 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
I think sometimes I have said this phrase, but what I really meant was "If X didn't happen, then Y wouldn't have happened", especially when X seemed bad at the time but then Y happened and turned out to be a better thing.

That doesn't mean that everything was all pre-planned by some mysterious entity moving game pieces around.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:44 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Exactly! It is only the people who have some desire
to believe that ever see or hear anything..
Holy moly is that ever not true! Desire?

I just told a story here of an Executive friend in DC that gave up a couple thou in a security deposit
as she ran from a condo!
She is/was as straight as an arrow...I never even talked to her about spiritual stuff...did she ever have something in her condo...she was terrified!
Turning her heat up and down, her bike on the other side of the room when she came home, but the quarter spinning by her bed at 4am was the limit!
She was dating an administrative assit to Secretary Clinton! She was not open to this scary crap!
And will NEVER speak of this incident again!

But, at the same time I couldn't care less if you believe me...I'm just sayin'...no body desires to see this scary stuff!! Unless you've got a Ghost TV show.

I dare any spirit to come around me and spook me...I dare 'em...nobody disembodied is comin' anywhere NEAR me! I'm way scarier than them!
And I do believe they are all over the place hanging around earth....lost.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:21 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,604,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

I just told a story here of an Executive friend in DC that gave up a couple thou in a security deposit
as she ran from a condo!
She is/was as straight as an arrow...I never even talked to her about spiritual stuff...did she ever have something in her condo...she was terrified!
Turning her heat up and down, her bike on the other side of the room when she came home, but the quarter spinning by her bed at 4am was the limit!
She was dating an administrative assit to Secretary Clinton! She was not open to this scary crap!

But, at the same time I couldn't care less if you believe me...I'm just sayin'...no body desires to see this scary stuff!! Unless you've got a Ghost TV show.

I dare any spirit to come around me and spook me...I dare 'em...nobody disembodied is comin' anywhere NEAR me! I'm way scarier than them!
Well, that's a good thing. Because I don't believe you. Or more accurately, if you are telling a direct story, I don't believe her. Does she have some proof of these so called hauntings??? Otherwise, she has as much credibility as the person who saw Bigfoot but has no evidence.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Well, that's a good thing. Because I don't believe you. Or more accurately, if you are telling a direct story, I don't believe her. Does she have some proof of these so called hauntings??? Otherwise, she has as much credibility as the person who saw Bigfoot but has no evidence.
The fear in her was enough for me. She wouldn't even talk about it and was
all weird and mysterious about leaving DC suddenly, said she'd explain later...only said what was up
when she finally made it to California. Poor thing.

But, I'm sure it was nothing...leaving 2 grand behind...last month's and security
and changing jobs meant nothing. Take care.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:57 AM

The fact is that all sorts of fringe science and the like has people coming up with anecdotes, and the apologists for the belief try to put it beyond doubt by the "Why would they lie?" apologetic, which was the bettonnit gambit in UFO sighting and contactee reports (which I came to ralise used pretty much the sae (false) apologetics as Gods from outer space, sea -empire alternative history and of course, religion.

The UFO apologetic not only argued that people would never make the story up as ridicule is all they could expect and even that the experience had shattered the person who'd had it.

This simply means that the person was not lying but really believed what they related. But another fact is that the mind can do odd things. There are accounts of the brain putting images into the head that people who were there at the time could see were imaginary.

Even if the people believe what they experienced rather than just telling lies (which they can come to believe anyway - I have some experience of that, too), that in itself does not validate the claim.

The bottom line is that the plural of anecdote is not Dat and the singular of Anecdote is not 'Valid evidence'.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:58 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,604,828 times
Quote:
The fear in her was enough for me. She wouldn't even talk about it and was
all weird and mysterious about leaving DC suddenly, said she'd explain later...only said what was up
when she finally made it to California. Poor thing.

But, I'm sure it was nothing...leaving 2 grand behind...last month's and security
and changing jobs meant nothing. Take care.
Sorry, anecdotes don't do it for me, Miss. For one, moving to Cali from DC because you think your place was haunted is overkill, even if it happened. Baltimore? Philly? That would have been more believable. Sounds to me like she had to scoot for some other reason, and made up a silly story. I know someone who was "all weird and mysterious" about leaving Memphis, and said she was being stalked by some guy. She didn't know who, just some guy. Told people he had broken into her place, and had been leaving notes for her, etc. Come to find out, she had actually been evicted and had to move in with her mom in Nashville. She was embarrassed, and wanted to put the blame somewhere else.

Point being, anecdotes on an anonymous internet forum don't = proof.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:40 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,347,738 times
Quote:

as she ran from a condo!

The husband and father of the family that lived in my 100 year old house before me died in the bedroom that I now sleep in. People asked me when I first bought the house whether it would bother me sleeping in a room where someone had died. My answer was that I don't believe in ghosts, so I'm not worried about it. That has worked very well for me for the past 35 years now. No ghosts! My big old two story house certainly looks the part of a haunted house. It creaks and groans like one might expect a wooden frame 100 year old house to creak and groan. But in 35 years I have never encountered a ghost. On the other hand I have friends that can't stay in a brand new house much more than five years, because their houses inevitably become "infected" with ghosts.

Apparently, those of us who do not believe in ghosts are protected from having ghosts, but those who believe in ghosts are constantly plagued by them.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
. Apparently, those of us who do not believe in ghosts are protected from having ghosts, but those who believe in ghosts are constantly plagued by them.
Again, many people never gave a 2nd thought to 'ghosts'...but they moved and got stuck with one.
Dunno about anyone constantly plagued by them.
A friend has 87 separate houses or units in apt buildings, her hubby is an atheist, btw.
She had one problem once with the previously deceased occupant, so had someone
get rid her nicely...no more problems.
But, I suppose she and I are making that up, also! Cuz we're both liars...

Btw, your friends are doing something 'wrong'! Lol! Like Santa at the chimney...
are they leaving treats or something?...Virgin sacrifices, maybe?
Something you're not telling us or maybe they are keeping from YOU?!

Old 09-18-2018, 11:57 AM

Oh dear. People get so touchy when we question anecdotes that might have been misremembered or mispercieved. We are nasty people who are pointing a a finger trembling with frustrated fury at being floored with incontrovertible evidence, and denying it with screams of "Liar".

Yes, folks, a strawman ad hom well -poisoner slap back of legitimate doubt and question is what we are getting here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism