Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2018, 10:05 PM

20,392 posts, read 12,668,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Sure it can. Quantum mechanics is the root cause of everything. You don't understand the nature of quantum mechanics though, and quantum mechanics doesn't serve to make you special. So you go right on declaring that science can’t tell us what started the universe.
Quantum mechanics started the universe from nothing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 10:08 PM

20,392 posts, read 12,668,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Scientists already have been able to produce RNA in a lab, the precursor protein to DNA. More so, they have been able to have that RNA replicate itself. We now know that RNA can also act as enzymes (called ribozymes) to speed chemical reactions. In a number of clinically important viruses RNA, rather than DNA, carries the viral genetic information.

RNA also plays an important role in regulating cellular processes–from cell division, differentiation and growth to cell aging and death. In other words, RNA is an integral part of life, and life cannot exist without it.

From this article:
Specifically, the researchers synthesized RNA enzymes that can replicate themselves without the help of any proteins or other cellular components, and the process proceeds indefinitely. "Immortalized" RNA, they call it, at least within the limited conditions of a laboratory.
Is it life? Nope, not yet. But it is self-replicating, which all life forms do. Scientists are on the doorstep of producing life in a petri dish.

No god needed. Sorry.
Does that explain how the universe began?

Old 09-22-2018, 10:12 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,330,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
It’s not “silly” to suggest there is a god/creator, is it?
It's a matter of opinion. Is it silly to suggest that it's possible for reindeer to fly because Santa has magic? A person can always make up an answer and declare it to be true, you see. Adults who subscribe to make believe are silly, in my opinion. But it's also true that the world is full of people who subscribe to silly beliefs that are founded on make believe and unquestioned faith derived from their lifetime of programing. Mainly because their mommies told them it was so.

My mother was pretty well educated. But her mother, born in 1888, was barely taught to read and write. She believed in all sorts of make believe that was pretty silly. Because her mommy raised her to believe it was so.

But you see, this is the 21st century. It's past time to leave the silly make believe behind.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:28 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,330,974 times
Quote:
Quantum mechanics started the universe from nothing?
NO!

Wikipedia
Conservation of Energy
In physics, the law of conservation of energy states that the total energy of an isolated system remains constant, it is said to be conserved over time. This law means that energy can neither be created nor destroyed; rather, it can only be transformed or transferred from one form to another.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy

Centuries of experimentation and observation has indicated that energy exists eternally, merely changing from form to form based on the properties of quantum mechanics. Our universe of matter is one current form, having apparently exploded from a very compressed state into its current configuration. The law of conservation of energy doesn't serve to give your existence special meaning, or promise you eternal life, I am afraid. It just happens to be observed to be true.

Which is the polar opposite of make believe.

Last edited by Tired of the Nonsense; 09-22-2018 at 10:39 PM..

Old 09-22-2018, 10:29 PM

48,564 posts, read 23,987,897 times
Quote:
Still, we ought to be able to have an adult conversation, no?
As long as we avoid the subject of religion, yeah. If religion is being discussed, there is an awkwardness involved. The beliefs you are arguing in favor of are the beliefs which I rejected once I reached the age of reason. I've never been an adult believer, so all of my memories of subscribing to religious beliefs are from when I was a child. Consequently it takes an effort not to view your presentation as childish, my only experience in thinking it valid was as a child. What persuades you now is what was sufficient for me only before reaching intellectual maturity.

So the choices here are you can get the honest me who risks giving offense, or you can get the nicer but completely insincere me.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:31 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,555,355 times
Quote:
Seriously, the odds of life developing as it has through such a long and random process is virtually non-existent.

How do you explain the beginnng of it all without a mover of some sort?
Quote:
A creator of some sort would easily answer that question, no?
Quote:
Does that explain how the universe began?
I wish you would follow one thread of thinking.

First you asked about how the universe began. I gave you a long answer (remember me discussing multiverses?), which you didn't respond to in any way cogently.

Then you throw in the question about how life began. I answered you (remember the discussion on RNA??)

So why would you ask once again about how the universe began, when my answer was into how life began? Why do you keep jumping back and forth, rather than following one train of thought????

Old 09-22-2018, 11:25 PM

50,249 posts, read 23,873,057 times
Quote:
It’s not “silly” to suggest there is a god/creator, is it?
Let's put it this way,

Quite a few years ago I was spending the summer in Thailand. A couple of young Thai monks wanted some lessons in English. In the course of one lesson, something prompted one of the monks to ask me to tell him the story of Jesus. I was still a believer at that point of time. So, in about three minutes I related the basics in the story of Jesus. When I got to the part of about the crucifixion and resurrection, the monks started giggling.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Still, we ought to be able to have an adult conversation, no?
I wouldn't say that what you do is have an adult conversation.

You are un-moving. You say the same things over and over and over. You have half-a-dozen scripts that you basically repeat and repeat.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
I’m not a scientist, but I do know science can’t tell us what started the universe.
And neither can you.

You're not that sophisticated. Most of us aren't.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
I think we ought to be able to discuss these issues without demeaning each other. Unfortunately, since we can’t look each other in the face, it’s easy to say ugly things.
Come to Colorado Springs. It'll probably get a heckuva lot uglier.

Anonymity is really not the issue here. I have no personal connection with you. If door-knockers visited me tomorrow, I'd be blunt as can be with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism