Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 12:42 PM

50,079 posts, read 20,474,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Santa brings YOU presents. God expects you to give presents to Him.
Ha!

Quote:
Pss.76
[11] Vow, and pay unto the LORD your God: let all that be round about him bring presents unto him that ought to be feared.

HUGE difference!
as always..can't rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
It's not God that expects presents; it's his followers...
Point taken. I'm always reminded of an Asteryx episode (at its' height I read a load of the comic books in a month) "The seer" who persuaded the Village that he could foretell the future and ripped them off before he was exposed (or i suppose he was) I remember one time he presented a list of materials he needed for divination, which all seemed to be expensive viands, including a huge barrel of beer.

"You read the future in beer?" Asks the suspicious Gaul.

"If it's well kept, it becomes very legible."

Not all the prognosticators are swindlers and scammers any more than all the religious exploiters are. Some are merely deluded. But you can't help feeling that there is a huge swindle going on.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-15-2018 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 12:51 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,328,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Some atheists are as humorless as the fundies they despise. You might want to develop a sense of humor...

...like phetaroi did.
Who you calling humorless?

Old 11-15-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Who you calling humorless?
Better all the time

Quote:
God expects the presents. But after all the mumbo jumbo and ceremony has taken place, God's presents become the property of the priests.

Deut.12
[16] "Three times in a year shall all thy males appear before the LORD thy God in the place which he shall choose; in the feast of unleavened bread, and in the feast of weeks, and in the feast of tabernacles: and they shall not appear before the LORD empty:
[17] Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the LORD thy God which he hath given thee."

Deut.18
[1] "The priests the Levites, and all the tribe of Levi, shall have no part nor inheritance with Israel: they shall eat the offerings of the LORD made by fire, and his inheritance.
[2] Therefore shall they have no inheritance among their brethren: the LORD is their inheritance, as he hath said unto them.
[3] And this shall be the priest's due from the people, from them that offer a sacrifice, whether it be ox or sheep; and they shall give unto the priest the shoulder, and the two cheeks, and the maw.
[4] The firstfruit also of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the first of the fleece of thy sheep, shalt thou give him."
Also reminded of the old joke (pick whichever religion you like)

"After i collect the money, I throw it into the air. God takes what He wants, and what comes down is Mine."

The Learjets for Jesus pack, however, don't even bother to disguise their greed.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Better all the time

Also reminded of the old joke (pick whichever religion you like)

"After i collect the money, I throw it into the air. God takes what He wants, and what comes down is Mine."

The Learjets for Jesus pack, however, don't even bother to disguise their greed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdUIqKJyD0Q

I should feel sorry for the people that get fleeced by the Robert Tilton's and Benny Hinn's of the world. But getting fleeced is what sheep do best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn11-hWH9eM

Old 11-15-2018, 02:05 PM

87,957 posts, read 83,789,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tired of the nonsense View Post
who you calling humorless?
Transponder?

Old 11-15-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Transponder?

Meh..... I'm a bit low on laughing -gas. You know I have seen a few santa movies ...while in London trying to rebuild my life i used to Christmas with the family. Which was ok. My eldest sis did a great Xmas din. and her Hub never stinted the booze... and there'd be Tv. So I saw a few santa movies. I won't go over the one where a supposed 11 year old girl with phd validated santa belief in High Court because of what was on the Us money but another one where Santa saved the day by executing a controlled loop he'd been trying to do for decades and what that did other than lose him airspeed i don't get.

But that's not Santa's fault, that's crappy screenplay. But like they say, I'm a curmudgeonly old bastard and getting worse daily. So don't tell me I've got no sense of humor 'cos I know it. I can sit through "Top Tent funniest American comedy film scenes" and not react other than fill me pipe to pass a bit more time.

p.s goddam. I finally spelt curmudgeonly right.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:

I should feel sorry for the people that get fleeced by the Robert Tilton's and Benny Hinn's of the world. But getting fleeced is what sheep do best.

Yes. I'm torn,. I really am. I don't mean other than intellectually. I can't help these people by losing sleep over it. Especially as if I tried to help them, like rounding up these dudes ripping off old ladies because they need a new Learjet because the goldleaf on the old one was a bit too yellow and slamming them up on a gruel and recycled pisswater diet while recycling every penny they made to the starving poor in Venezuela, they'd scream like i was trying to destroy them. It seems that all they want is bias confirmation and the more it costs them the more convincing it must seem.

So my left brain says that my heart aches for them and I pray for their deliverance and the right half of the brain says that if they will stand in the middle of the freeway thumbing in Text and not watching the traffic, when a truck turns them AND their freakin' ipad into a smear on the tarmac because the driver was too busy texting to look out for peripatetic dolts in the road, my feeling is 'Dude had it coming'. And on those who spend their life willingly being fleeced, bilked and played for suckers by evangelistic fraudsters, sympathy is wasted.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:13 PM

87,957 posts, read 83,789,860 times
Quote:
Meh..... I'm a bit low on laughing -gas. You know I have seen a few santa movies ...while in London trying to rebuild my life i used to Christmas with the family. Which was ok. My eldest sis did a great Xmas din. and her Hub never stinted the booze... and there'd be Tv. So I saw a few santa movies. I won't go over the one where a supposed 11 year old girl with phd validated santa belief in High Court because of what was on the Us money but another one where Santa saved the day by executing a controlled loop he'd been trying to do for decades and what that did other than lose him airspeed i don't get.
LOL @ your review of Miracle on 34th Street, but that's so old, the child star grew up and then fell off a boat and drowned (or was pushed by her husband, depending upon what you want to believe) almost forty years ago.

I am not familiar with the other one, but that's fine. You might like Bad Santa with Billy Bob Thornton.

Quote:
But that's not Santa's fault, that's crappy screenplay. But like they say, I'm a curmudgeonly old bastard and getting worse daily. So don't tell me I've got no sense of humor 'cos I know it. I can sit through "Top Tent funniest American comedy film scenes" and not react other than fill me pipe to pass a bit more time.

p.s goddam. I finally spelt curmudgeonly right.
I'm proud of you!

Old 11-15-2018, 06:16 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,159,819 times
Quote:

Ouch, this is a little closer to home, so to speak. I was fleeced out of 100 bucks by Tilton back in my 20’s.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Ouch, this is a little closer to home, so to speak. I was fleeced out of 100 bucks by Tilton back in my 20’s.
You covered 10 minutes worth of gas for one of his airplanes. That warm all over feeling members of the congregation get by giving their money is consistent with being flocked. How did you escape his flock, if I might ask?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unhqk-sAtZ4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism