Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 12:29 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiros7 View Post
i dont attempt to scientifically prove god to condone my belief. because if i did, it would classify me as an insecure, unsure or semi-believer.

it is possible, however, that a theist can believe in a creator while objectively accepting the fact of evolution

there are many atheist who have morals, advocate human dignity and have more empathy than most theists.

there is nothing wrong with atheism or agnosticism

i tend not to generalize atheist. i do not think that it is right to generalize theists, because not all are peter popoffs or those self righteous, hateful puritans.
l
Instead you operate on faith. Which is exactly the same principle that the followers of all of those other non Christian beliefs operate on, now and in the past. And they all got it wrong, didn't they! People of other beliefs tend to believe with deep devotion in whatever belief system they were raised in. Do you not see any inherent peril in having unwavering faith in a belief, simply because that belief happens to have been the one you were first exposed to?

Old 11-03-2018, 12:35 PM

241 posts, read 94,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Instead you operate on faith. Which is exactly the same principle that the followers of all of those other non Christian beliefs operate on, now and in the past. And they all got it wrong, didn't they! People of other beliefs tend to believe with deep devotion in whatever belief system they were raised in. Do you not see any inherent peril in having unwavering faith in a belief, simply because that belief happens to have been the one you were first exposed to?
i cant respond because you are making a generalization.

i am not converting nor am i advocating theism

why do u you care abour my beliefs which include objective acceptence of evolution

Old 11-03-2018, 12:45 PM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
to clarify, i know that there are many different types of atheist, ranging from deist to richard dawkins types.

i am putting my theism aside to ask this broader question: why is it impractical for a non-theistic person to consider deism or the possibility of a creator

i am not trying to convert nor am i advocating any particular religion,theology or belief. i am asking a question that fits into the context of atheism and agnosticism

my inquiry is being directed to richard dawkin type of atheist, not atheist who consider that practical possibility or consideration of deism

i dont have any motives to convert or advocate theism
A deist is not an atheist. An atheist is exactly one thing: a person who does not believe there is/are any God/gods. Anything else is just individuals being individuals.

Old 11-03-2018, 12:54 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
i dont attempt to scientifically prove god to condone my belief. because if i did, it would classify me as an insecure, unsure or semi-believer.

it is possible, however, that a theist can believe in a creator while objectively accepting the fact of evolution

there are many atheist who have morals, advocate human dignity and have more empathy than most theists.

there is nothing wrong with atheism or agnosticism

i tend not to generalize atheist. i do not think that it is right to generalize theists, because not all are peter popoffs or those self righteous, hateful puritans.
l
How can you possibly state that there is nothing wrong with being agnostic when you continue to misrepresent what it even means?

Also how would you have science even test for a God in the origins and also if they include God as a possibility in one part of science why shouldn't it then be in all parts to be consistent.

The Catholic Church will be please to note that you approve that they can believe in evolution. Also atheists worldwide should be pleased that you think many of us are moral. Many of course mean even less than 5% of us.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:06 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiros 7 View Post
i cant respond because you are making a generalization.

i am not converting or advocating theism

why do u you care abour my beliefs which include objective acceptence of evolution

Is it a generalization to consider that individuals who subscribe to religious beliefs other than Christian beliefs, the beliefs YOU know to be true, are simply WRONG? Islam, for example.

"That they said (in boast) "We have killed Christ Jesus the
son of Mary, the apostle of Allah";-- but they killed him not,
nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and
those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain)
knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they
killed him not:--" (Koran, Su 4:157).

Muslims believe that Jesus was not crucified. If Jesus was not crucified, then he was not resurrected, and Christianity is founded on misinformation. In other words nonsense. That is NOT a generalization. That is quite specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiros 7
It should be noticed that YOU are here posting on the subforum dedicated to atheism and agnosticism. Which is fine by me. I extend to you my greetings. The point being, that you feel you have every right to express your beliefs to others. Which I heartily agree with. However, you should not then be surprised when others demonstrate that they have already thoroughly considered your beliefs (been there, done that) have rejected them for reasons they are perfectly capable of explaining in great detail, and have moved on to consider other possibilities.

It should also be pointed out to you that if you first preview your post before submitting it as a reply, the words you have misspelled will be underlined in red. Place your cursor over the underlined word, click the right mouse button, and you will be provided with options for spelling the word correctly.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:13 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

I still wake up at night, sweating.
Can't stop laughing....I mean it...I woke the neighbors.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:24 PM

I'm gonna say it again....I see no reason to believe in a God...esp if you have
never seen of felt this Being....who's fault is that ? Not yours!
Live long and prosper. Be kind. Be happy.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I'm gonna say it again....I see no reason to believe in a God...esp if you have
never seen of felt this Being....who's fault is that ? Not yours!
Live long and prosper. Be kind. Be happy.
Typo..."never seen or felt this Being"

Old 11-03-2018, 04:59 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
to clarify, i know that there are many different types of atheist, ranging from deist to richard dawkins types.

i am putting my theism aside to ask this broader question: why is it impractical for a non-theistic person to consider deism or the possibility of a creator
And several of us have told you why we don’t. But if you have heard what we have said, it’s not a bit evident.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:00 PM

241 posts, read 94,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Is it a generalization to consider that individuals who subscribe to religious beliefs other than Christian beliefs, the beliefs YOU know to be true, are simply WRONG? Islam, for example.

"That they said (in boast) "We have killed Christ Jesus the
son of Mary, the apostle of Allah";-- but they killed him not,
nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and
those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain)
knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they
killed him not:--" (Koran, Su 4:157).

Muslims believe that Jesus was not crucified. If Jesus was not crucified, then he was not resurrected, and Christianity is founded on misinformation. In other words nonsense. That is NOT a generalization. That is quite specific.

It should be noticed that YOU are here posting on the subforum dedicated to atheism and agnosticism. Which is fine by me. I extend to you my greetings. The point being, that you feel you have every right to express your beliefs to others. Which I heartily agree with. However, you should not then be surprised when others demonstrate that they have already thoroughly considered your beliefs (been there, done that) have rejected them for reasons they are perfectly capable of explaining in great detail, and have moved on to consider other possibilities.

It should also be pointed out to you that if you first preview your post before submitting it as a reply, the words you have misspelled will be underlined in red. Place your cursor over the underlined word, click the right mouse button, and you will be provided with options for spelling the word correctly.
although i am not familiar with the quaran, i respect the beliefs of muslims and other religions because people have the american constitutional right to religious freedom.

i dont self righteously criticize other religions, spiritualities, faiths, humanist organizations, atheist or secularist

america advocates freedom of religion or non-religion, so i respect other religions american constituional right to religious freedom and worship

i am not going to tell somebody that their interpretation is wrong because that would be hypocritically self righteous of me

i may not believe in islam, but i respect the beliefs of different religions, spiritualities, faiths and atheism
s
i will not oppose or decry anything that adheres to a different interpretation, faith, religion, spirituality, non-religion or belief

i dont have a problem with people who have different beliefs, opinions or non-beliefs

Last edited by spiros7; 11-03-2018 at 06:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism