Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2018, 02:15 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
LOL…..no it's not! It may be an answer for future occurrences but absolutely NOT what my question was
No one is required to answer your question in the way you want it answered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 02:17 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I guess at this point I'll give up trying to get a direct answer and let on lookers decide for themselves whether or not the question is being avoided
I answered in post #160.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:20 PM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No one is required to answer your question in the way you want it answered.
True. No one is required to reply at all. But by not being willing or able to answer the question we are left with the reasonable assumption that you don't have an answer
And yes, I understand what Assume can be interpreted to mean

Hey, Ossie, you reading this to see 'we' aren't all like minded unthinking robots ?

Last edited by old_cold; 12-20-2018 at 02:29 PM..

Old 12-20-2018, 04:45 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
A "hostile invasion". What hyperbole.
Not as much as calling it murder. The missionary was warned off twice, had advanced tools such as even his kayak and was dead set on intruding into their lives. They were more intent on defending their tribe and their island than murdering someone. If Chau had his way, their lives would have been at risk and it is unlikely that they could continue living as they did. Chau made the choice to confront them on their land/world illegally and after being warned off by the natives. From all that I can tell it was , in their eyes, a hostile invasion. He was more in the wrong than any of them were. He made a grave error with no regard to the people themselves.

8 am not glad that he was killed however he was the one in the wrong in this situation.

Neither you nor Joe have yet provided a practical method to bring stone age people upto international law without destroying their ways of life. Nor how what they did could legally be considered an act of murder.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Not as much as calling it murder. The missionary was warned off twice, had advanced tools such as even his kayak and was dead set on intruding into their lives. They were more intent on defending their tribe and their island than murdering someone. If Chau had his way, their lives would have been at risk and it is unlikely that they could continue living as they did. Chau made the choice to confront them on their land/world illegally and after being warned off by the natives. From all that I can tell it was , in their eyes, a hostile invasion. He was more in the wrong than any of them were. He made a grave error with no regard to the people themselves.

8 am not glad that he was killed however he was the one in the wrong in this situation.

Neither you nor Joe have yet provided a practical method to bring stone age people upto international law without destroying their ways of life. Nor how what they did could legally be considered an act of murder.
I know someone who would love your way of thinking down on our southern border. And that's backed by the religious right.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:33 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
I know someone who would love your way of thinking down on our southern border. And that's backed by the religious right.
Totally different. Both the migrants and the Americans are aware of each other and the differences between the poorest and least educated Guatemalan and the richest and best educated American are almost nil compared to this island example. Additionally all Americans are aware that there are police forces, national guards and the army to turn to whereas the Islanders have no one known to them. Additionally it is not difficult to find a language translator for communications.

Being compared to the American religious right is a sure way to end any conversation. End of discussion

Old 12-20-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Totally different. Both the migrants and the Americans are aware of each other and the differences between the poorest and least educated Guatemalan and the richest and best educated American are almost nil compared to this island example. Additionally all Americans are aware that there are police forces, national guards and the army to turn to whereas the Islanders have no one known to them. Additionally it is not difficult to find a language translator for communications.

Being compared to the American religious right is a sure way to end any conversation. End of discussion
No. Either a person values life, or doesn't value life. You don't get to pick which lives are worthwhile.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:18 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,351,634 times
Quote:
Apparently those in charge in North Korea don't see it your way.

You don't really know anything about the Sentinelese sentiments about satisfaction or dissatisfaction.

No, my mere presence doesn't give you the right to kill me.
Yeah...my last statement was poorly phrased. Your mere presence doesn't give me the right to kill you.

I do have the right to defend myself though. If warn you to leave, and there's a decent chance your presence will kill me, and you keep coming...I don't think it's unreasonable for me to have the right to open fire upon you after a few warning shots. That certainly wouldn't be murder, if you're coming into my land, and you know that I'm hostile to foreigners, and I don't know enough about the world to tell if you're a demon or not, and you are well aware your presence may be deadly to me, and I'm also responsible for the safety of my kids and dozens of people I've lived with all my life, and I know of no laws preventing me from killing you.

If, on the one hand, I have the safety of everyone I know, and on the other hand, I have the safety of a dangerous, disease-ridden a-hole named Bob who my kids want to play with, and I don't speak Bob's language, and I fire arrows at Bob, and Bob swims out to a boat to escape...but then Bob comes back afterward, proving that he's not going to leave us alone unless he's killed...I don't see what other options I have than to kill Bob.

That's not murder. That's self-defense.

It wouldn't even be murder if they killed Bob on sight. If the North Sentinelese killed Bob on sight, it would something more debatable, regarding whether that was right or wrong. To judge whether that is right or wrong, we'd probably have to know more about North Sentinelese history and what sorts of reasons they have to fear foreigners…but at least based of all the information available to us, we have no reason to call that murder.

You have this incomprehensible mentality where you want to treat people who have nothing in common with people anywhere else on the planet, exactly like everyone else on the planet is treated. The North Sentinelese don't have social agreements with anyone else on the planet.

Except your mentality is even more incomprehensible to me than that...because many ordinary people elsewhere in the world would be behaving exactly like the North Sentinelese if their positions were reversed, and you'd probably support their decisions, just like many other people would.

Let's say everyone in Hawaii suddenly developed HIV...so the disease they have that causes HIV isn't harming them in itself, but their bodies won't be able to defend them from common colds or other minor ailments, because HIV has crippled their immune system. Somehow the Hawaiians are able to cleanse all viruses and disease-causing bacteria from their island. Never mind how. A wizard did it. So...they're doing just fine. They just can't have contact with the outside world.

One day, they see a boat coming up to a Hawaiian beach. It's filled with foreigners. You have some kind of cannon. You radio them to go away. They don't care. They say they want to be friends with your kids. You fire a warning shot (note that the missionary guy had arrows shot at him the first time he went to the island. He came back again later. They didn't miss that time). The passengers just smile and get confused about why you're so angry.

Do you let them play with your kids, or do get the police ready at the coastline and give them all megaphones and instruct them to repeat "Get back in your boat, or we'll open fire."

The North Sentinelese don't speak English, so they don't have that option. They don't have enough eyes to watch over their whole island either...so it's more understandable that they might want to kill any outsiders on sight, just so nobody's sneaking around without them knowing.

You're correct that I don't know what it's like on North Sentinel Island. You're correct that those in charge of North Korea probably don't see things my way.

Nobody cares about North Korea being isolationist though. People care about the North Korean government harming its own citizens and threatening other nations.
Regarding North Sentinel Island though…we don’t know enough about it to know whether or not the North Sentinelese have some kind of horrible culture. We already know North Korea’s system of government is screwed up. We can’t say the same things about North Sentinel island. People flee from North Korea talking about how horrible life was there. Nobody’s fled from North Sentinel island talking about how horrible life was there.
Your comparing of North Sentinel Island to North Korea is like comparing wooly mammoths to grapes. Yes…North Sentinel island is an isolationist nation and so is North Korea. Also, wooly mammoths and grapes were both once alive. That doesn’t mean they’re similar though.
Most outsiders would just screw things up if they interfered with the North Sentinelese too much.
We can't really help the North Sentinelese islanders. Our help would probably destroy them, given how hostile they are, how small their society is, and how vulnerable to disease they are, and they don't have any reason not to be hostile. Historically, it would probably be pretty beneficial to be quite violent towards outsiders. It's not their fault if they're incredibly violent if that's the only culture they know and they have no access to outside ideas...particularly if now that the world is so intertwined that nobody's going to get shipwrecked on North Sentinel island, except illegal fishermen, so their mentality probably isn't harming any outsiders except a-holes anyway.

I don't think it's particularly likely that there will be another shipwreck at North Sentinel island that isn't the result of illegal fishing. The last one I heard of was a Hong Kong freighter in 1981. The crew didn't shipwreck at North Sentinel island. Their ship crashed into a reef not so distant from it. They saw North Sentinel Island and moved to it, because they didn't know about the hostile inhabitants and had to defend themselves from the North Sentinel islanders.

Now, everybody knows about North Sentinel island though...and we can't change the North Sentinel islanders anyway.

Calling the killing of the missionary who went to North Sentinel island murder is nothing but silliness, at best, and a kind of bureaucratic cruelty at worst. It implies that people who have zero knowledge of or social contracts with outsiders should be punished for defending themselves against the actions of a fool, or at least judged harshly for it.

You'd probably defend your family from sufficiently dangerous fools too.

Also, yeah the North Sentinelese might not know about disease...but they might know about sickness. Or, maybe they just think virulent demons spawn from outsiders, which isn't so far from the truth.

Maybe the North Sentinelese have never even been afflicted with sicknesses from outsiders though. Maybe they're just extremely territorial. That's still just a way to protect themselves...and the fact that they don't have binding social agreements with other nations, or as much worldly knowledge as outsiders means it's an ethically valid strategy. When there's little you know about the world, you have to take some gambles sometimes. It's not particularly barbaric to put your family first. It's just a survival strategy, and one that seems to have worked pretty well for them so I don't think we can say they're bad people for continuing it.

As the more knowledgeable civilization, we outsiders have a duty to protect North Sentinel island. We owe them that, because we could so easily inadvertently crush them. We have a very similar duty to children for very similar reasons.

If we contact them, we have a duty to be extremely careful and put their interests very high on our list of priorities, and if we slip up and they kill us, we, as the more knowledgeable civilization entering onto their land never had to go there in the first place. Our deaths will be mostly our fault, regardless of how it happens. It will never be murder. The North Sentinelese don't have the knowledge of our social agreements for it to be murder.

Calling the killers of John Chau murderers would be accusing people of a crime, who had no knowledge of the law in the first place, much less consented to following it. It is a cruel and unfair label to give them, and doubly so because they were defending their land and their families, and triply so because even we outsiders can find some extremely compelling reasons for it to be illegal to travel to North Sentinel island.

Note that I like you as a person. You often make wise statements, so far as I've seen. I generally like you're ideas. I just have a very powerful venomous disagreement with you in this area...and you happen to be wrong

Old 12-20-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Yeah...my last statement was poorly phrased. Your mere presence doesn't give me the right to kill you.

I do have the right to defend myself though. If warn you to leave, and there's a decent chance your presence will kill me, and you keep coming...I don't think it's unreasonable for me to have the right to open fire upon you after a few warning shots. That certainly wouldn't be murder, if you're coming into my land, and you know that I'm hostile to foreigners, and I don't know enough about the world to tell if you're a demon or not, and you are well aware your presence may be deadly to me, and I'm also responsible for the safety of my kids and dozens of people I've lived with all my life, and I know of no laws preventing me from killing you.

If, on the one hand, I have the safety of everyone I know, and on the other hand, I have the safety of a dangerous, disease-ridden a-hole named Bob who my kids want to play with, and I don't speak Bob's language, and I fire arrows at Bob, and Bob swims out to a boat to escape...but then Bob comes back afterward, proving that he's not going to leave us alone unless he's killed...I don't see what other options I have than to kill Bob.

That's not murder. That's self-defense.

It wouldn't even be murder if they killed Bob on sight. If the North Sentinelese killed Bob on sight, it would something more debatable, regarding whether that was right or wrong. To judge whether that is right or wrong, we'd probably have to know more about North Sentinelese history and what sorts of reasons they have to fear foreigners…but at least based of all the information available to us, we have no reason to call that murder.

You have this incomprehensible mentality where you want to treat people who have nothing in common with people anywhere else on the planet, exactly like everyone else on the planet is treated. The North Sentinelese don't have social agreements with anyone else on the planet.

Except your mentality is even more incomprehensible to me than that...because many ordinary people elsewhere in the world would be behaving exactly like the North Sentinelese if their positions were reversed, and you'd probably support their decisions, just like many other people would.

Let's say everyone in Hawaii suddenly developed HIV...so the disease they have that causes HIV isn't harming them in itself, but their bodies won't be able to defend them from common colds or other minor ailments, because HIV has crippled their immune system. Somehow the Hawaiians are able to cleanse all viruses and disease-causing bacteria from their island. Never mind how. A wizard did it. So...they're doing just fine. They just can't have contact with the outside world.

One day, they see a boat coming up to a Hawaiian beach. It's filled with foreigners. You have some kind of cannon. You radio them to go away. They don't care. They say they want to be friends with your kids. You fire a warning shot (note that the missionary guy had arrows shot at him the first time he went to the island. He came back again later. They didn't miss that time). The passengers just smile and get confused about why you're so angry.

Do you let them play with your kids, or do get the police ready at the coastline and give them all megaphones and instruct them to repeat "Get back in your boat, or we'll open fire."

The North Sentinelese don't speak English, so they don't have that option. They don't have enough eyes to watch over their whole island either...so it's more understandable that they might want to kill any outsiders on sight, just so nobody's sneaking around without them knowing.

You're correct that I don't know what it's like on North Sentinel Island. You're correct that those in charge of North Korea probably don't see things my way.

Nobody cares about North Korea being isolationist though. People care about the North Korean government harming its own citizens and threatening other nations.
Regarding North Sentinel Island though…we don’t know enough about it to know whether or not the North Sentinelese have some kind of horrible culture. We already know North Korea’s system of government is screwed up. We can’t say the same things about North Sentinel island. People flee from North Korea talking about how horrible life was there. Nobody’s fled from North Sentinel island talking about how horrible life was there.
Your comparing of North Sentinel Island to North Korea is like comparing wooly mammoths to grapes. Yes…North Sentinel island is an isolationist nation and so is North Korea. Also, wooly mammoths and grapes were both once alive. That doesn’t mean they’re similar though.
Most outsiders would just screw things up if they interfered with the North Sentinelese too much.
We can't really help the North Sentinelese islanders. Our help would probably destroy them, given how hostile they are, how small their society is, and how vulnerable to disease they are, and they don't have any reason not to be hostile. Historically, it would probably be pretty beneficial to be quite violent towards outsiders. It's not their fault if they're incredibly violent if that's the only culture they know and they have no access to outside ideas...particularly if now that the world is so intertwined that nobody's going to get shipwrecked on North Sentinel island, except illegal fishermen, so their mentality probably isn't harming any outsiders except a-holes anyway.

I don't think it's particularly likely that there will be another shipwreck at North Sentinel island that isn't the result of illegal fishing. The last one I heard of was a Hong Kong freighter in 1981. The crew didn't shipwreck at North Sentinel island. Their ship crashed into a reef not so distant from it. They saw North Sentinel Island and moved to it, because they didn't know about the hostile inhabitants and had to defend themselves from the North Sentinel islanders.

Now, everybody knows about North Sentinel island though...and we can't change the North Sentinel islanders anyway.

Calling the killing of the missionary who went to North Sentinel island murder is nothing but silliness, at best, and a kind of bureaucratic cruelty at worst. It implies that people who have zero knowledge of or social contracts with outsiders should be punished for defending themselves against the actions of a fool, or at least judged harshly for it.

You'd probably defend your family from sufficiently dangerous fools too.

Also, yeah the North Sentinelese might not know about disease...but they might know about sickness. Or, maybe they just think virulent demons spawn from outsiders, which isn't so far from the truth.

Maybe the North Sentinelese have never even been afflicted with sicknesses from outsiders though. Maybe they're just extremely territorial. That's still just a way to protect themselves...and the fact that they don't have binding social agreements with other nations, or as much worldly knowledge as outsiders means it's an ethically valid strategy. When there's little you know about the world, you have to take some gambles sometimes. It's not particularly barbaric to put your family first. It's just a survival strategy, and one that seems to have worked pretty well for them so I don't think we can say they're bad people for continuing it.

As the more knowledgeable civilization, we outsiders have a duty to protect North Sentinel island. We owe them that, because we could so easily inadvertently crush them. We have a very similar duty to children for very similar reasons.

If we contact them, we have a duty to be extremely careful and put their interests very high on our list of priorities, and if we slip up and they kill us, we, as the more knowledgeable civilization entering onto their land never had to go there in the first place. Our deaths will be mostly our fault, regardless of how it happens. It will never be murder. The North Sentinelese don't have the knowledge of our social agreements for it to be murder.

Calling the killers of John Chau murderers would be accusing people of a crime, who had no knowledge of the law in the first place, much less consented to following it. It is a cruel and unfair label to give them, and doubly so because they were defending their land and their families, and triply so because even we outsiders can find some extremely compelling reasons for it to be illegal to travel to North Sentinel island.

Note that I like you as a person. You often make wise statements, so far as I've seen. I generally like you're ideas. I just have a very powerful venomous disagreement with you in this area...and you happen to be wrong
I reject most of what you've said, and feel no compunction to go over it point by point. To put it simply, I believe that when someone crosses a border illegally they should be arrested and tried and punished. But I do not believe in the death penalty for anything like this.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:58 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,351,634 times
Quote:
I reject most of what you've said, and feel no compunction to go over it point by point. To put it simply, I believe that when someone crosses a border illegally they should be arrested and tried and punished. But I do not believe in the death penalty for anything like this.
I agree. But the North Sentinelese don't have the option of arresting anyone. This isn't about most nations. This is about a very rare type of people - more isolated and less knowledgeable than possibly anyone else on Earth. They deserve to be treated quite uniquely. That's my primary point I want to get across. I'm not even considering how other nations should behave...or even other indigenous societies with little contact with the outside world. I'm strictly talking about the North Sentinelese.

I agree with you completely that when someone crosses a border illegally they should be arrested and tried and punished...at most. I know a lot of Americans want there to be paths for illegal immigrants to become American citizens.

If you don't want to talk about this anymore, or respond to my posts, that's fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism