Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 08:31 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times

Advertisements

Mine is one Russell told. He was arrested for political activism and the paperwork had a field for religion, to which Russell replied "atheist." The jailer remarked that, whatever his religion, "we all worshipped the same god." Russell wrote that that kept him amused for days.

Less funny but more dear, Russell was again arrested, protesting the war in Viet Nam. He was by that time so old and feeble, they had to carry him to jail on a blanket!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 09:52 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
I'd have to do a search to find such stories, but If I may remind the punters, lurkers, Polemicists and Polemicistesses of a run in with a longsince poster here (no names, but you all know whom) who came posting up with Archaeological Proof of the Bible - Linked to an article suggesting that the Black Sea flood (wot - 9,000 B.c?) was the flood in the Bible. After some checking up on the theory of the Icea age melt and rising of flood water globally, I pointed out that this wasn't total, so even if that Flood validated the flood in the Bible, it made the use of it by God to wipe out all creation mythical. After some to -ing and fro -ing he ended up by accusing me of posting about the Black sea Flood in the first place and calling it a crap theory.

It was almost as good as the freeze -dried Eucalyptus -leaves.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:59 PM

Default But that reminds me..

The biggest Hoot ever was the Talpiot Tomb. Popped up on a former forum. This was a Tomb in the suburbs of Jerusalem that had several Sarcophagi or Ossuaries, rather with names uncannily reminiscent of Jesus' family. Was it Jame Cameron? - made a docu. claiming this was Jesus' tomb. Even with some bones in.

Immediately there was a sudden flood of Believers clamouring at the atheists to admit that Jesus was real the Bible was true and we all ought to repent, turn and be saved.

We of course pointed out that - if true - this was just the evidence the Believers had been demanding

"If Jesus didn't rise from the dead - produce his body, and then we'll believe you." Well there it was.

The resultant total silence was visceral.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:47 AM

605 posts, read 491,411 times
Probably something from my own life.

You sure love Bertrand Russell!

Old 11-24-2018, 04:09 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Not, perhaps very interesting or sensational but still my favorite because of the implication for probably a lot of us.
Became friends with a sweet Christian lady and one day, some months later, for some forgotten reason, I mentioned that I was an atheist.

With a shocked look on her face, she declared "But you're a good person!!!"

Old 11-24-2018, 06:14 AM

Don't worry about it we all know she was mistaken or we'd have your Card back right now.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:12 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Here in Germany many people live in large houses that are built to hold several families. My English friend who lives here had the top part as his office. One day his bell rang, so he ran down the four sets of stairs to find two Jehovah witnesses their. My friend told me after their introduction that he played the stupid English man who could not speak German. It did not help as they spoke very good English.

They then asked if he would like to talk about God. He explained he was an atheist. After a brief, confused pause they then asked my friend what he thought God's plans for the future were.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Here in Germany many people live in large houses that are built to hold several families. My English friend who lives here had the top part as his office. One day his bell rang, so he ran down the four sets of stairs to find two Jehovah witnesses their. My friend told me after their introduction that he played the stupid English man who could not speak German. It did not help as they spoke very good English.

They then asked if he would like to talk about God. He explained he was an atheist. After a brief, confused pause they then asked my friend what he thought God's plans for the future were.
I have sometimes suggested that they hand out the script to the owner of the place they have targeted for the morrow, to give 'em a chance to get their responses right.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:29 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Dr. Lawrence Brown.

He actually became a believer from being an Atheist.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:50 AM

That is a believer -story rather than an atheist story, but some counters to deconversion -stories were inevitable. In fact I'm sure we would all love to know the convincing and valid reasons why Dr. Brown converted. It would be the first time we heard any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism