Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 06:52 AM

50,081 posts, read 20,507,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Thanks Transponder, you're the best.
4th or 5th best, perhaps but thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
All that a person could disprove is his own negative image of a Bible God.
Since anything else is based on Cafeteria -Christianity, not to mention recreating God in their own personal own image, I'd say we are doing it Right. We don't do blind faith. We don't try to find Gaps for God. We see the Bible-god like it is, not as we (or believers, rather) would prefer it to be. We don't buy the Ghost -Bible.

We certainly don't do the rather common Theist belief that everything we think must be right because God is putting it into our heads. Mainly because people think different things. We unbelievers know that we are a herd of cats, and we don't see why the idea of all marching like religious empire -clones is a good idea.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-30-2018 at 07:09 AM..

Old 11-30-2018, 07:06 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,778,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Since anything else is based on Cafteria -Christianity, not mention recreating God in their own personal wn image), I'd say we are doing it Right. We don't do blind faith. We don't try to find Gaps for God.
Well, most people are going to fill the gaps with something. There will always unknown. If we were to enter a time machine sent to the future and automatically advance in scientific understanding and development of a trillion years in a split second, we would still find Bible believers and there would still be atheists reading the Bible and trying to understand it's meaning.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:09 AM

16,595 posts, read 4,880,510 times
Quote:
Well, most people are going to fill the gaps with something. There will always unknown. If we were to enter a time machine sent to the future and automatically advance in scientific understanding and development of a trillion years in a split second, we would still find Bible believers and there would still be atheists reading the Bible and trying to understand it's meaning.
Meanings, plural. How come the religious never understand this? Or do they ALL pretend we are the ignorant ones?

Old 11-30-2018, 07:16 AM

48,564 posts, read 23,987,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
What about what God did to Job, giving Satan permission to kill his entire family, just because Satan asked? That strikes me as rather crappy thing to do.
Yes, rather difficult to reconcile an all loving, perfect god with some entity which allows itself to be baited by its own creation into mistreating a loyal and devoted servant.

For years I was taught that god "made us in his image" before ultimately realizing that it was us who made god in our own images. We had but the singular example of intelligent life, ourselves, so naturally gods were crafted with some of our own flaws infused in their characters.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. As predictable as one of Pavlov's dogs. What is the difference between faith based thinking and logical thinking? We don't fill unknowns with guesses or speculations (never mind wishful thinking) and then pretend they are reliable evidence.

Unknowns are Un-knowns. They are not handy gaps to fill with godfaith.

I hope (I don't claim it as reliable evidence) that taking a time machine to 3000 AD, we would find the religions of today regarded rather as we do the gods of Egypt or the Aztecs. "What was it like to live in a world where, every time science tried to do something, you were told the sacred dung -beetle wouldn't like it?"

And I'll say it was an ongoing struggle against religious inspired denial. That's where i hope the time machine would end up. I won't even think what I Fear we might find. Because the people who should have been voting against ignorance, superstition and control through religious authority were fighting us because we preferred Star trek to Star wars.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-30-2018 at 07:28 AM..

Old 11-30-2018, 07:30 AM

5,878 posts, read 3,754,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Meanings, plural. How come the religious never understand this? Or do they ALL pretend we are the ignorant ones?

Stubborn, uninformed and ignorant. We're just being "stubborn" and we hate god because life didn't go as planned. You just can't make the religious see that we can't hate something that doesn't exist. I have been accused of being stubborn by family members as well as told I am confused by talking to those "people" online. You can't make this stuff up. I'm not wasting my time or breath anymore trying to talk to them logically/reasonably, it's futile to say the least.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Harry, when a Bible - believer talks about meanings, they don't mean what it actually says or the mechanics of writing it or the mindset of the writers; they mean Faith as divinely correct in whatever they personally get out of their reverence for this old book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Yes, rather difficult to reconcile an all loving, perfect god with some entity which allows itself to be baited by its own creation into mistreating a loyal and devoted servant.

For years I was taught that god "made us in his image" before ultimately realizing that it was us who made god in our own images. We had but the singular example of intelligent life, ourselves, so naturally gods were crafted with some of our own flaws infused in their characters.
Spot on, and in less time than it takes me to say it.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:52 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,691,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Why is it so obvious to us (us being atheists/agnostics) how ridiculous and contradictory the bible is yet the religious can't see the trees for the forest? I believe wholeheartedly that most of the religious nut jobs around here haven't even read the bible. They go to church on Sunday, crack open a copy from the back of the pew when the pastor directs them to, turn on the auto-pilot during the reading and that is the extent of their knowledge. Which isn't even knowledge, just maybe a random scripture here and there and some of what Jesus supposedly said.

Oh, I see it. But not until recently. I still consider myself Christian and still go to church, but I am struggling with my faith. I used to be very much like what you said about being on auto-pilot.

I am Catholic and the whole sex scandal (that never seems to end) finally made me step back and say, "who, what, where, why, and how?" to a lot of our practices. And I finally started digging deeper into things because I need to know the answers to these questions. The more I read (even the Bible itself) the more confused I get. Too many things conflict, the God of the Old Testament is nothing like what I was taught God was like, etc.

I am still trying to figure things out for myself and have been focusing on the history of Christianity.

Interestingly enough, one early Christian group (they were deemed heretics by the proto-orthodox) believed that the God of the Old Testament was not the God of Jesus and was an evil God. I can see it when I read these Bible stories.

Anyway, just wanted to speak up. I am going back to lurking and reading this forum as I have been for a couple of months now. There are some really fascinating topics here (and knowledgeable people).

By the way, you seem pretty smart to me. Maybe smarter than me. So don't knock yourself too much.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:56 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,330,974 times
Quote:

When was the last time you ran into an Enki worshipper? Enki was one of the main gods of the Sumerians. Sumerian people worshipped Enki with the same love/fear devotion that you have for Yahweh. The Sumerian civilization existed some 6,000 years ago or so. Enki worshippers are darned hard to come by today. That is because belief in Enki couldn't even manage to survive 6,000 years, let alone a trillion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism