Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 03:03 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,974,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
So why answer him and give him more chances to spew garbage for the similarly confused. He's just doing it for attention. Ignore him.
1) I can practice my English.
2) To show others who read his posts the more plausible options.
3) Maybe Ozzy finally will understand something until he conveniently forgets again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
If people don't want to hear me in this subforum, then please, I would prefer to just be banned from the Atheist forum.

I'll apologize if it seems that I have opinions that seem to change. I'm just going to be honest about what I think. Yes, I don't always think it out in the most coherent manner.

But my issue is the attack on religion. The saying is true, "Only the BAD news is reported." We don't hear about all the good things in religion that outnumber the bad by 1000 fold. Many people don't even attend church but they still act out on their religious faith. So that's why I think it's literally dishonest to attack religion the way it is so often done here.
As we have pointed out before, people do good things regardless of whether they are religious or not. Which refutes your religion is more good than evil assertion. We have also pointed out that religion does have benefits. Most of us have also pointed out we believe people have the right to follow a religion so long as it does not negatively effect others.

So the only dishonesty is from you ignoring all of this while wanting us to ignore (or be quiet about) the evil that religion causes (which you also misrepresent as bad people using religion).

Old 12-15-2018, 03:13 AM

Quote:
It seems like every atheist post is some kind of an attack on religion, just by definition alone.
If pointing out the truth is an attack on religion, then that is the fault of religion, not atheists.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:49 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,859,470 times
"Bob" grows up in a secular-society in a messed up industrialized top down economy (with an elite group of atheists at the top) which causes him to be disconnected from nature and community, and have a distorted view of the universe and his relation to humanity. He begins to have a hatred for anyone who doesn't fit into his ideal of what a person should be. That includes crippled people, kittens, and homosexuals. So rather than take out his anger on those people, he goes to an underground religious support group once a week where they tell each other that those different types of people will be punished in judgment. Then they feel relieved and are able to make it day to day in their mundane lives.

Now it seems to me that the extreme atheist wants to eliminate those support groups. Don't tell me that atheists are not hypocrites.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:07 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,187,400 times
Do you drink or do you really just think like this???

Old 12-15-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
"Bob" grows up in a secular-society in a messed up industrialized top down economy (with an elite group of atheists at the top) which causes him to be disconnected from nature and community, and have a distorted view of the universe and his relation to humanity. He begins to have a hatred for anyone who doesn't fit into his ideal of what a person should be. That includes crippled people, kittens, and homosexuals. So rather than take out his anger on those people, he goes to an underground religious support group once a week where they tell each other that those different types of people will be punished in judgment. Then they feel relieved and are able to make it day to day in their mundane lives.

Now it seems to me that the extreme atheist wants to eliminate those support groups. Don't tell me that atheists are not hypocrites.
Again you had to straw man atheists to attack them.

How on earth can your none existent atheists be hypocrites?

But you HAVE described fundamentalist religions.

Last edited by Harry Diogenes; 12-15-2018 at 07:53 AM..

Old 12-15-2018, 08:00 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
I believe Ozzy's confusion is incurable.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:01 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I believe Ozzy's confusion is incurable.
Who knows? Maybe five or six years of Freudian therapy would uncover the repressed memories of his youth where atheist street gangs bullied him as a child, or perhaps reveal the source of his anger to be losing a woman he was courting to a rival atheist lover. Could it had been an impossible to please atheist father? An atheist nanny who tried to beat the faith out of him?

We are far beyond the rational here, all of the nonsense Ozzy presents has been countered logically numerous times, yet none of it has done him a bit of good, he just keeps recycling the same errors.

And it has to be strawmen, he has come here among the savages and been unable to find anyone who fits his preconceived stereotypical atheist profiles.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:34 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
1) I can practice my English....

Aha! Endlich kommt die Wahrheit heraus!

Old 12-15-2018, 01:55 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,158,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
If pointing out the truth is an attack on religion, then that is the fault of religion, not atheists.
Good point.

Quote:
"Bob" grows up in a secular-society in a messed up industrialized top down economy (with an elite group of atheists at the top) which causes him to be disconnected from nature and community, and have a distorted view of the universe and his relation to humanity.
Your example is flawed. If Bob is "disconnected" from nature or community it's only because he wants to be, not because he was compelled to be.

I like the sea. I go to the beaches at Sarasota and walk out a hundred meters or so on the sand bars to play with the skates when they come in to feed early in the evening. You can latch onto them and they'll tow you along while they're feeding. Sometimes dolphins come in, but they never get close enough. Maybe one day a curious one will venture up to me.

I sail on the Black Sea. My boat is ported near Vama Veche, and I skirt the coast through the Strait into the Aegean and stop at one of the Greek Islands to eat and play, usually Thasos.

When I'm not doing that, I'm in the woods with my dog.

Religion didn't help me find nature, my parents did, because they took my sister and I camping and boating.

I have a deeper connection with nature, because of PTSD, not religion.

I'm connected to a community of veterans. I could be connected to other communities, but I choose not to be for other reasons, none of which have to do with religion.

I have no distorted view of the Universe.

On the contrary, telling people they have souls that will be condemned to Heaven or Hell is a distorted view of the both the Universe and Reality.

Quote:
It seems like every atheist post is some kind of an attack on religion, just by definition alone.
Quote:
But my issue is the attack on religion.
On what logical rational basis should religion be exempt from attack?

I attack people and groups that condone genocide, condone slavery, condone totalitarianism, and condone the treatment of women as 2nd Class Citizens.

Why would I not attack a god who condones all those things?

Why do you believe god should get a free pass from attack on those issues?

And, your god intends on returning to destroy the Earth and kill nearly everyone on it.

Are you saying that's just another one of many failed prophecies, or are you saying god should get a free pass on that, too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism