Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2018, 12:55 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,633,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The poll would be meaningless and you know that. Most people don't know what they believe. They might insist on believing something, but they have a myriad of reasons for telling that to others. Many people lie to each other every day. Acting is a natural part of life for human beings. Children play-act all the time. Adults are constantly acting. In the business world it impossible to even survive if people said what was really on their minds. There is a professional script that most people follow. Being a human in society means that you have to pretend and act in order to survive. They even lie to themselves just to survive. So I don't believe anyone who tells me that they believe something unknown, especially something so outlandish. I don't trust a single thing anyone tells me. They do it as a way of connecting with others. What better way to connect with a community than to pretend to believe certain extreme things.
You don't believe a single thing anyone tells you about something unknown..unless they write it down? What was it you said only yesterday... the Bible is a collection of writings about the religious feelings of our ancestors? And that was your justification for why it should be regarded as a holy text as I recall. Am I remembering that wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 01:32 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Some people make religious fundamentalists look like geniuses in comparison. I never completely doubted the wisdom of religious people, but this is ridiculous.
I have lost your train of thought here, Perhaps you misunderstood my post which in a tongue in cheek way was showing that fellowship can be in all kinds of clubs, and religion is nothing special other than in organised co -opting of members and keeping tabs on them.

If you think that the UFO club was whacky, I saw that it often was and I later recognised the same method of apologetics as is used in religion. I tried to hint at that in my post.

In the end I found too much fakery, poor reasoning and speculation presented as credible theory and decided that it had made its' case no better than religion has.

Now what are you not getting about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
That is interesting. Had not heard that before now.
That sounds like some of the Gnostic Christianity that seemed to be based in Christian Egypt and was declared heretical by the Roman Pope.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:53 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Yes, the above is your most frequent theme, however, I do not know what atheists you are referencing. I have not seen anyone in this forum who fits the description of "militant atheist." You and Ozzy have a lot of enemies, but I think most of them exist in your imaginations.
I would to retract my last response to this because I was wrong. Flat wrong.

The key words in your post are "here at CD". How many poster do I accuse of this? How many do i actually accuse of being anti-religious militant? i call atheist fundamentals.

What I actually say is that fundy-mental atheist do exist. They must exist because its personality type that causes an expression of belief. Its not a belief that determines the personality. Sick people have sick beliefs. I do not really accuse many posters here on CD of it. so yes, you are right, not many here at CD.

You say none, but I hear the same response at religious sights, liberal sites, conservative sites, and others "we are not like that", so that is what it is. That's you just defending atheist because they are atheist and not you evaluating their claims past "smash religion". maybe you don't even want to evaluate their claims past bash religion because of some other reason.

If you read what I actually do you will notice I really say "yeah, big bad religion can be dangerous, now what?". ban religion? or is religious freedom more important for a society?

I say, "we all know that some claims in religion are wrong, so what is your claim on how the universe works?'. You will notice that I actually say 'there is no god, so now what? what is your best explanation of how the universe works?"

i call out people, that do not apply the same rigor they due religion, to their beliefs. pats running around ranting about big bad boogie man religion whats a person claims on how the universe works and why we see people behaving as we do.

I actually say, "not every claim from religious people is dead wrong, bad, or evil."

would you like to to discuss the best explanation on what we think is going on around us? we then can compare what we say to see what claim is more valid or not? maybe ours is the same, maybe not.

Old 12-01-2018, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I have lost your train of thought here, Perhaps you misunderstood my post which in a tongue in cheek way was showing that fellowship can be in all kinds of clubs, and religion is nothing special other than in organised co -opting of members and keeping tabs on them.

If you think that the UFO club was whacky, I saw that it often was and I later recognised the same method of apologetics as is used in religion. I tried to hint at that in my post.

In the end I found too much fakery, poor reasoning and speculation presented as credible theory and decided that it had made its' case no better than religion has.

Now what are you not getting about that?

That sounds like some of the Gnostic Christianity that seemed to be based in Christian Egypt and was declared heretical by the Roman Pope.
lmao, "apologetics" is not an observation that proves or disproves a claims. Its a word you use to dismiss and minimize claims that are more valid than your position. But you have to dismiss the claim because you are anti-religious and have deemed that your crusade is so righteous that you can minimize what you need to make your world view more valid.

You use "apologetics" as if its a claim. "oh, that's just apologetic.". what is the actual observation you are saying is less valid?'. "fakery", you found to many fakes" yeah, so what is your more valid claim on how the universe works? You ran away when I showed you your claim is less valid mine. you had to run, you knew I was right.

You are basing how we describe how the universe works on your belief about religion. "I see so much fakery that I get to decide whats the most valid claim" are you kidding me? deny everything because you don't know whats up is a fear based position.

Old 12-01-2018, 04:20 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I wanna hear more about this!!...can you start a thread on this....and expound a bit more?
Or name a book or site that can be looked up if you're busy? Thanks, dear.
It may take some time to find the early Christian reference, and it involves a small amount of Greek grammar, so I will do this later.

But Jesus saying he is of a different father can be found in John 8, implied in verse 8:38, and stated in 8:41.

Old 12-01-2018, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Stupid is the right word for it. Many of them seem to be just as unfamiliar with reading literature as the most conservative fundamentalist. The fundamentalists discourage the reading of literature because most of it doesn't support their religious ideas, but many atheists are just as unfamiliar with literature. And the worst part is that it is by choice. The result is that they have very limited understanding of literary works such as the Bible. They just don't know how to read literature because they take it so literally. It's sad and frustrating.
he will not listen to what we are saying.

he cannot, due to a brain state, get past "yeah, I don't like religion, so youre wrong". I love when he tried, "yeah, you have a point, but lets get back to bashing religion." he couldn't process the fact that we look at each claim and then address each claim. .

The bible god is not real. yeah, thats easy, any fifth grader can see that. I am so great I saw it at the age of 9. Now what? whats the best descriptor we have? "I hate religion" is not an answer. Lines of logic on how the universe works, based on "I don't like religion" can be seriously flawed. As flawed as any "my god only" lines of logic.

The bible is a good book. It is fine to use as a central at point because of logistics. Its just so well known at this point. It also shows that people haven't changed that much. so its actually ok at this point.

The book is not 'sacred" ... people are sacred ... Life is sacred. I don't even go as far as sacred ... but I understand how people have to think that because, well, they are people.

The bible god is the best they could come up with in describing "natural consequences" back then.

Old 12-01-2018, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Stupid is the right word for it. Many of them seem to be just as unfamiliar with reading literature as the most conservative fundamentalist. The fundamentalists discourage the reading of literature because most of it doesn't support their religious ideas, but many atheists are just as unfamiliar with literature. And the worst part is that it is by choice. The result is that they have very limited understanding of literary works such as the Bible. They just don't know how to read literature because they take it so literally. It's sad and frustrating.
So you keep asserting while ignoring the evidence you are wrong.

We do not take it literally, we are pointing out the problems when the Christians take it literally.

Old 12-01-2018, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
It may take some time to find the early Christian reference, and it involves a small amount of Greek grammar, so I will do this later.

But Jesus saying he is of a different father can be found in John 8, implied in verse 8:38, and stated in 8:41.
a different father than the pharies? it doesn't take a bible quote to say that he would, most certainly, have said that at some point.

Old 12-01-2018, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
So you keep asserting while ignoring the evidence you are wrong.

We do not take it literally, we are pointing out the problems when the Christians take it literally.
no harry, that's exactly what he is saying.

he is explicitly saying "the problem arises when people take it literally."

why are you changing what he said?

Old 12-01-2018, 04:34 AM

Quote:
It's crazy that you would take a book of clearly symbolic literature and then state that it is something else. Do you realize how crazy that sounds when you do that?
Do you know how crazy it sounds that you are NOT responding to what Transponder actually wrote?

Do you know how crazy it sounds that you are claiming he is wrong, and then agreeing with a part of what he wrote?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism