Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 06:11 PM

50,081 posts, read 20,507,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I strongly dislike Christmas music. I am not referring to carols but the real bad songs that keep being played over and over, year after year. Jingle Bell Rock and Grandma was run over by the reindeer are a couple of examples.

Some years we set up a tree and sometimes my wife decorates the house. The only thing that she does insist on, if we stay home is a turkey. I don't like turkey at all, even though she makes great stuffing. Chicken is my favourite meat and turkey probably my least favourite. At least here thanksgiving is early October so there is more time between turkeys.
It's one reason I'm travelling - at top price season, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 03:43 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,410,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I think many of the good things about the holidays today are a result of religious people celebrating their faith. Even if I don't agree with everything they believe, I can at least appreciate the good things that result from their traditions.
Yet I see almost nothing good in the Christmas period that has anything at all to do with faith any more. Perhaps they are doing it in private - which is great as that is where I Think religion should be kept - but they certainly are not displaying it publicly.

Even worse - if faith was such an important and wonderful part of the holidays - it is curious that it is not enough. Why? Because "Santa". If the "faith" behind Christmas was so wonderful and integral and relevant - one wonders why they have to implement and create and celebrate a supplementary one. Like vitamin pills supplementing a bad diet.

Old 12-17-2018, 04:14 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,778,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Yet I see almost nothing good in the Christmas period that has anything at all to do with faith any more. Perhaps they are doing it in private - which is great as that is where I Think religion should be kept - but they certainly are not displaying it publicly.

Even worse - if faith was such an important and wonderful part of the holidays - it is curious that it is not enough. Why? Because "Santa". If the "faith" behind Christmas was so wonderful and integral and relevant - one wonders why they have to implement and create and celebrate a supplementary one. Like vitamin pills supplementing a bad diet.
"They" represents everyone including yourself. Santa Claus was created by the world as a whole, which includes people of all creeds. Including your own creed which has yet to be proven.

Old 12-17-2018, 04:53 AM

Quote:
"They" represents everyone including yourself. Santa Claus was created by the world as a whole, which includes people of all creeds. Including your own creed which has yet to be proven.
I speak for myself you should not presume to speak for me. Santa was created before I was born - and I do not implement it with my children or in my household. So keep your straw men to yourself. It's creation and perpetuation has little to do with me. For all the sense you are making (none) you might as well say I started world war 2 which happened before I was born. Because people started it and I am a person therefore I am somehow involved. You are talking abject and quite desperate nonsense at this point.

I guess I created the lightbulb too.

But nice dodge of my actual point however which you did not address. Which is that if some kind of "faith" has anything to do with Christmas at all - it is quite telling that they have to create a supplementary faith which is the dominant one at the Christmas Period while their actual one is almost nowhere to be seen.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:21 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,778,610 times
You are implying that Christians created Santa Claus or Father Christmas which began as a pagan thing anyway.

But of course I always forget that atheists are perfect and have never contributed to the conditions which have led to things like war.

Excuse me while I find another barf bag after accidentally viewing this wretched forum again.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
You are implying that Christians created Santa Claus or Father Christmas which began as a pagan thing anyway.
Not my implication at all no - again with telling me my position rather than listen to it. No my implication is that these people who claim their faith has a lot to do with the holiday - seem intent on importing a supplementary faith to give activity and meaning to that holiday.

Which just leads me to question out loud how important their core faith actually is as per your own claims above.

Quote:
But of course I always forget that atheists are perfect and have never contributed to the conditions which have led to things like war.
If you say so. I sure as hell didn't. But no change there huh? The amount of things you argue against that were not even in the pots you reply to - borders on the obscene as a general MO.

Quote:
Excuse me while I find another barf bag after accidentally viewing this wretched forum again.
And will again no doubt. Observe below.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:36 AM

16,595 posts, read 4,880,510 times
Quote:

If your straw men make you sick, stop making them.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:43 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,875,683 times
I can't think of any wars started by atheists. On the contrary, religion has been the primary motivation in countless conflicts. This is common knowledge to anyone with even a cursory familiarity with human history.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:13 AM

10,492 posts, read 6,105,970 times
Quote:

'accidentally'

You accidentally contributed 5 posts, after accidentally viewing a forum that you find wretched?

Why don't you go off and find some Christian activities to do? Season of Goodwill and all that. Might make you feel less nauseous.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:44 AM

50,247 posts, read 23,873,057 times
Quote:
And neither has yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism