Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 09:47 AM

8,664 posts, read 3,866,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Every front is a fair front.
And also ironic. Most people don’t care about atheist rhetoric anymore than the Christian version. Keeping any religion out of the public - and kept in the home - is the real issue. To make it an issue of individual beliefs (and mocking people on a forum) is being incredibly short-sighted and ineffective within the context of the larger picture. (And per the thread, helps to explain why atheists are hated, at least in this forum.)

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 02-19-2019 at 10:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:

The christians who come to this part of the forum keep shoving, and I and several others are going to shove right back. You can minimize as "Well they started it", if you want to. But I would prefer to say that we are taking up arms -- and the weapon choice is words -- against those who are trying to lay their beliefs down on everyone else who thinks differently. It isn't just about keeping religion out of government...it's also about keeping intrusive religion out of our private lives.
If you want to participate in a school-yard type ‘fight’ (and consider it a good useage of your time), then have at it, I guess. But it isn’t going to stop people from believing in what they believe, and it isn’t going to address the larger picture i.e. the real issues like keeping any religion out of government, schools, etc. - that’s where the real fight is!

Old 02-19-2019, 10:19 AM

50,796 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
If you want to participate in a school-yard type ‘fight’ (and consider it a good useage of your time), then have at it, I guess. But it isn’t going to stop people from believing in what they believe, and it isn’t going to address the larger picture i.e. the real issues like keeping any religion out of government, schools, etc. - that’s where the real fight is!
You're wrong. The real fight is keeping unwanted religion out of our daily lives. Doing that keeps it out of government and schools.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
You're wrong. The real fight is keeping unwanted religion out of our daily lives. Doing that keeps it out of government and schools.
The law disagrees with you. You will never be able to control personal religious beliefs in someone’s home - anymore than you can control what people eat, what people wear, or extremist opinions. The fight is keeping it separate from government and schools. Don’t lose the war by being distracted with personal battles. It’s this very focus which makes atheists hated (in the same way Christians want to force their way as ‘right’).

Old 02-19-2019, 11:22 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,513 times
Quote:
The law disagrees with you. You will never be able to control personal religious beliefs in someone’s home - anymore than you can control what people eat, what people wear, or extremist opinions. The fight is keeping it separate from government and schools. Don’t lose the war by being distracted with personal battles. It’s this very focus which makes atheists hated (in the same way Christians want to force their way as ‘right’).
Sometimes it seems as if they are making the case for communism...I don't know if that's the end goal for some, but that's how it appears when you're wanting into people's homes and angry about democracy.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
You seem to want to edit what I said, so since you're not responding to what I actually said, there's little reason for me to continue to discussing this particular thread with you. Do your homework.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
You seem to want to edit what I said, so since you're not responding to what I actually said, there's little reason for me to continue to discussing this particular thread with you. Do your homework.
You said I was wrong. I gave reasons why I’m not. How is that not responding? In fact, I addressed everything you said head-on. Perhaps you need to do your homework - start with the Bill of Rights. The battle is not to eradicate individual freedom of anything - and speaking to this thread, it is this desire to do so which makes people hate atheists. Most people don’t wish to listen to Atheist rhetoric anymore than its Christian counterpart.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 02-19-2019 at 11:52 AM..

Old 02-19-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Sometimes it seems as if they are making the case for communism...I don't know if that's the end goal for some, but that's how it appears when you're wanting into people's homes and angry about democracy.
It’s a scary thought, if it is the end goal. It is certainly ‘funny’ that some atheists do not see the irony. They don’t want to be ‘saved’ by Christians or told how to think (and rightfully so), yet they seem to think it’s ‘rational’ to do the exact same thing.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:59 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Some agnostic, if not most, admit to not knowing whether or not there are any Gods and quite a few also admit to not caring one way or the other.

Agnostics do not have any need for there not to be any Gods or for the existence of any Gods. It's a neutral position. It's the zero on the integer scale.
When I had a zero position I consider myself apathetic, not caring. As an atheist I consider myself agnostic. There might be a God or gods but I truly do not believe we will veer know if they exist or d9 not exist. I see no evidence for the existence of gods hence I am an atheist. I do not believe it can be proved that they don't exist hence agnostic.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
You said I was wrong. I gave reasons why I’m not. How is that not responding? In fact, I addressed everything you said head-on. Perhaps you need to do your homework - start with the Bill of Rights. The battle is not to eradicate individual freedom of anything - and speaking to this thread, it is this desire to do so which makes people hate atheists. Most people don’t wish to listen to Atheist rhetoric anymore than its Christian counterpart.
I did not say one single word about "control[ing] personal religious beliefs in someone’s home".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism