Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2019, 11:58 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Yes, I say - and I will keep saying it. I’ve never seen such closed-mindedness (supposed to be a quality of theists, not atheists), all thinking in a pack.
Hadn't you heard the saying 'herding cats?' Atheist are all different. What atheist would ever think of atheists all 'thinking in a pack'?

Quote:
Not activists, angry anti-theists. Big difference. I’m an activist - which is why I am speaking to the promotion of atheism (and the perception of us, as a whole, online - and especially in this forum). I’m doing it alone, which proves how strongly I feel about advancing atheism and blowing up stereotypes about us (regardless if other atheists want to personally attack me for my opinion).
No I'm not going to do it all again. I'm not even going to ask you to explain how You'd do it. I'm suggesting that you Show us how you would do it better. Isn't that going to persuade us more than reiterating claims that we disagree with?

Believe me, if you can show us how to do it more effectively, I'll be the first to adopt your methods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 12:14 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Well, they have been pretty personally aimed at me and other (activist) atheists. And you have noticed how Some have gleefully exploited this quarrel, which i would have liked to have resolved. And I at least propose to let it settle as -in itself- it isn't important.
I think the best thing to do is stop responding to his posts and watch to see if he puts his money where his mouth is. Let him show where we old dogs have been going wrong all these decades.

Quote:
Not activists, angry anti-theists. Big difference. I’m an activist - which is why I am speaking to the promotion of atheism (and the perception of us, as a whole, online - and especially in this forum).
So show us how it's done. We are all waiting.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:18 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
No I'm not going to do it all again. I'm not even going to ask you to explain how You'd do it. I'm suggesting that you Show us how you would do it better. Isn't that going to persuade us more than reiterating claims that we disagree with?

Believe me, if you can show us how to do it more effectively, I'll be the first to adopt your methods.
I’m speaking to improving online perceptions - as a group, if we are perceived as a bunch of angry crazies who do nothing but throw down insults and memes at anyone (even other atheists) every time someone disagrees, it REINFORCES the stereotypes (and in the process does nothing for atheism). It’s mimicking theistic behavior - those who want to impose beliefs on us, or think in terms of being accepted into a group. We need to change perceptions to advance our cause - be a significant part of the mainstream, increase our numbers and fight religion in our lives (someone mentioned prayer at a HOA meeting which shocked me). Those are the things we need to fight - not each other and not individual people who believe in gods. We have the same battle as any other minority - but if we make it about our own personal battle against religion (rather than a group fight for atheism), we will lose - because people will always have a right to believe in their religions.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I’m speaking to improving online perceptions - as a group, if we are perceived as a bunch of angry crazies who do nothing but throw down insults and memes at anyone (even other atheists) every time someone disagrees, it REINFORCES the stereotypes (and in the process does nothing for atheism). It’s mimicking theistic behavior - those who want to impose beliefs on us, or think in terms of being accepted into a group. We need to change perceptions to advance our cause - be a significant part of the mainstream, increase our numbers and fight religion in our lives (someone mentioned prayer at a HOA meeting which shocked me). Those are the things we need to fight - not each other and not individual people who believe in gods. We have the same battle as any other minority - but if we make it about our own personal battle against religion (rather than a group fight for atheism), we will lose - because people will always have a right to believe in their religions.
Yes...so you keep repeating over and over ad nauseum. It's now time for action. It's time for you to demonstrate how to do what you want to do. We are all waiting.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Hadn't you heard the saying 'herding cats?' Atheist are all different. What atheist would ever think of atheists all 'thinking in a pack'?

I’m an atheist, and I think the personal attacks against me have been a group effort - hence the comment. Like you said, we are all different. So why not just disagree with me and move on with your life?

Old 03-09-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I’m an atheist,....
Really! You kept that quiet!

Old 03-09-2019, 12:31 PM

50,819 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Yes...so you keep repeating over and over ad nauseum. It's now time for action. It's time for you to demonstrate how to do what you want to do. We are all waiting.
As an educator, he ought to give us a lesson plan.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Really! You kept that quiet!
I’ll say it as much as I need to say it - until the implications I’m not stop. So tell me, how does harping on me help atheism? Because whether you agree with me or not, that’s all I’m trying to do.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
As an educator, he ought to give us a lesson plan.
You are the educator, not me. Or did you forget?

Old 03-09-2019, 12:33 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
I’m an atheist, and I think the personal attacks against me have been a group effort - hence the comment. Like you said, we are all different. So why not just disagree with me and move on with your life?
Yes, why don't we all do that? This discussion is fruitless now. There are some very discursive and engaging Christians of the 'Best Pizza' thread in R/S. We could do with an effective atheist apologist. Why not join us there and show us what you can do?

Quote:
I’ll say it as much as I need to say it - until the implications I’m not stop. So tell me, how does harping on me help atheism? Because whether you agree with me or not, that’s all I’m trying to do.
Well, here we are lads, I suggest we stop responding to CC other than to suggest that he log onto the 'Best Pizza' thread and show us all the way to do it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism