Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2019, 08:28 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Meanwhile, I live in a small town in Texas and have yet to see any real intolerance from a single Christian
Maybe they confused you for a Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 08:34 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Does theism make one intolerant, also?
Far too often, yes. very much so. Especially if humanist society doesn't keep it in check.

Quote:
And to some theists, atheism is willful ignorance and folly. Every group has its extremists.

No. Being opposed to theism is anti-theist. You haven't shown that theism and willful ignorance or superstition are one and the same yet, remember?

Yeah, that's not how anti-theism is defined. Plenty of theists would join you in opposing those things as well. Especially that last one
They do indeed. The real divide is between those who think that Christianity is good for society and those who think that it is not. They are the 'nones' and can be Theists as well as atheists. 'Anti Theism' is just a way of trying to cause divisions between atheists - successfully, it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
...and theism is a belief in gods and to me, belief in gods is wilful ignorance and superstition and if that makes me anti-theist then whooopeee! I'm happy!
As soon as Vic stops trying to pretend that he validated the arguments that he didn't, then we could perhaps deal with the reasons we think that religion is ignorance and superstition. That is what casual visitor's R/S thread could have been, bit it became an overspilll of this argument between atheists who seem determined to fight atheists who are working to roll back religion. I believe that is really what this is about. And has been all along. Just as with Ozzy (who is a theist, of course) who sees us as the Enemy even though he said how he walked out of a church he didn't approve of I explained several times (and he ignored) that we are fighting for his rights to be able to do so.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-04-2019 at 08:50 AM..

Old 03-04-2019, 08:43 AM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
This is the dilemma of dead ducks - to answer them is a waste of effort, but to Not answer them might look like one can't answer.

You have labelled a kind of atheists you are not as 'anti -theist. I have (numerous times) argued that there is no difference between their aims and views and yours.

I clarified your posting history to punters here, and I see the mention of it as merely feeding this unfortunate beef with a kind of atheist, the basis of the beef I am trying to get you to explain - .
My posts speak for themselves - I have always stated I do not believe in gods. They don’t need your ‘clarification’, thanks.

I have no ‘beef’ with you - that would imply it’s personal. It’s not about the ‘kind of atheist’ you are. It’s the anti-theistic rhetoric which divides us. If you are not anti-theistic, then why not stop trying to ‘crucify’ other atheists or agnostics if they don’t measure up to your militant standards?

Old 03-04-2019, 08:44 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Maybe they confused you for a Christian.
Ha! No doubt.

Too soon to rep, as usual.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:49 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
[quote=CorporateCowboy;54589809]My posts speak for themselves - I have always stated I do not believe in gods. They don’t need your ‘clarification’, thanks. [quote]

Obviousl;y they do - since the complaint was made that some atheists are being accused of being covert theists. So I cleared you. No charge.

Quote:
I have no ‘beef’ with you - that would imply it’s personal. It’s not about the ‘kind of atheist’ you are. It’s the anti-theistic rhetoric which divides us. If you are not anti-theistic, then why not stop trying to ‘crucify’ other atheists or agnostics if they don’t measure up to your militant standards?
Ah the Stavrakopoulou Syndrome. She claimed that 'New' Atheists say she is the Wrong Kind of atheist when in fact she had the prejudice (because the Bible is her work and study) and thinks that they (We) are the 'wrong kind' of atheist. So do you. I pit it to you yet again that we want the same things, and if you don't want to help in doing that - fine. Just don't fight us as you are doing here.

P.s in case some wonder who that is ans why I go on about her -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q46tjUQatgI

Excellent. Which is why I was distressed to see her (in another vid) go after New Atheism which (so far as I could see) was trying to eliminate the problems she'd been complaining about earlier in that vid. This prejudice against atheist activists (which as Vic. observed, is often supported by irreligious theists) is (I suggest) based on some emotional rather than logical attachment to religion.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-04-2019 at 08:58 AM..

Old 03-04-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
An atheist can either do something to push back religious influence or not. If they don't I ask 'don't oppose us'. If they do, they are as 'anti -theist' as the rest of us. I'm asking CC where he stands on this'
There is a difference between pushing back on religion infiltrating our public lives - and pushing back on individuals who wish to discuss religion in a forum. Most atheists, in my experience anyway, are not anti-theists (especially to the extent I’ve seen in this forum).

Old 03-04-2019, 08:55 AM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Now that is rich...coming from someone with YOUR beliefs.
I think you and I probably agree with what Einstein said: "Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere". And the christian version of logic is actually the imagination component.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:55 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I am Atheist, but I don't really identify as one or think about it. It seems like a dirty word. I often think of Athiests as people who are very vocal about it and it is a part of their identity, but I simply don't think about it at all or share it at all. Nor am I ever asked about it. To me its like not believing in santa or any other made up being. I know God doesn't exists, so it is never in my mind. And I don't care at all about other peoples beliefs.
Same here. I don't like to identify as anything. I don't think of myself as an atheist or agnostic. I just think of myself as a non-religious person. The question usually comes up on dating sites and I just don't answer it.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:56 AM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
And to some theists, atheism is willful ignorance and folly. Every group has its extremists.

No. Being opposed to theism is anti-theist. You haven't shown that theism and willful ignorance or superstition are one and the same yet, remember?

Yeah, that's not how anti-theism is defined. Plenty of theists would join you in opposing those things as well. Especially that last one
What's wrong with being anti-theism?

Old 03-04-2019, 09:01 AM

[QUOTE=TRANSPONDER;54589855 She claimed that 'New' Atheists say she is the Wrong Kind of atheist when in fact she had the prejudice (because the Bible is her work and study) and thinks that they (We) are the 'wrong kind' of atheist. So do you. I pit it to you yet again that we want the same things, and if you don't want to help in doing that - fine. Just don't fight us as you are doing here.

An atheist is an atheist. I think it’s absurd to try to divide atheists into categories. We are already the minority - what a useless, self-defeating concept. Atheism is not religion - we don’t have ‘groups’ i.e.
Protestants, Catholics, Baptists, etc. We simply have atheism - and a small percentage of atheists are anti-theistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism