Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2019, 12:26 PM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You keep saying that. But what is the battle plan? Other than to roll over and play dead.
Never said to play dead - being an anti-theist is not the same as being an advocate for atheism.

So yeah, we disagree. Why is it so important for you to keep going over and over this, because I think we long ago realized we disagree, and it isn’t going to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 12:29 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Never said to play dead - being an anti-theist is not the same as being an advocate for atheism.

So yeah, we disagree. Why is it so important for you to keep going over and over this, because I think we long ago realized we disagree, and it isn’t going to change.
All you do is make vague postings. You said it's a battle to keep religion out of our daily lives. But you offer not one suggestion on how to accomplish that. Have you nothing concrete to offer?

Old 03-04-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It is of course 'anti theists', is the 'kind of atheist'(as I said) - not atheists entire - that you are distancing yourself from. You must know that as that has been your whole point over the last few days. I have already called you on the 'impose' accusation. What beef do you have with 'anti -theists' that actually stands up to scrutiny?
Atheists are atheists, but we are all individuals with our own thoughts and opinions. We have beat this topic into the ground, Trans - and clearly we both stand firmly with our own opinions. So I think it’s time to agree we disagree.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:33 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:

Oh I think it could. I'm glad that you realise that 'playing dead' (being quiet - which is what atheism did before 'New' atheism) is not a good option, so you and 'anti -theists' agree on that. So we are back to -how would you do it better than they (we activists) are doing it?

'Imposition' is not a viable accusation.
Rudeness or bullying in no more viable.

Just what is the basis of your antipathy?

Old 03-04-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Oh I think it could. I'm glad that you realise that 'playing dead' (being quiet - which is what atheism did before 'New' atheism) is not a good option, so you and 'anti -theists' agree on that. So we are back to -how would you do it better than they (we activists) are doing it?

'Imposition' is not a viable accusation.
Rudeness or bullying in no more viable.

Just what is the basis of your antipathy?
Let's face it -- he's got nothing.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:38 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Atheists are atheists, but we are all individuals with our own thoughts and opinions. We have beat this topic into the ground, Trans - and clearly we both stand firmly with our own opinions. So I think it’s time to agree we disagree.
I think that it's time for you to agree that you are trying to avoid asking the question and trying to get me to drop the point. But it is a quite important one, as, CC, you are important. Probably more than you realise.

What is the beef that you have with activist atheists (or 'anti -theists', if you must) that is causing a division between us that i don't really think is there? We both want the same things. The argument that we are not doing it right is one that you seem unable to put into a post. What is the real problem?

Old 03-04-2019, 12:41 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Nothing intolerant ever occurs by christians in Texas. Well, unless you want to include things like burning down the Victoria Islamic Center in January 2017.
That's why I said christian intolerance is alive & well in this place. I have only lived in Texas for a little over a few yrs & it has been a really hard adjustment cause I have experienced it in a way I never did before.

E V E R Y T H I N G is centered around religion & I have mostly kept quiet about not believing so that I could fit in & make friends with my neighbors & co-workers. But it's hard...& just 1 of the reasons I can't wait to leave Texas behind.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
That's why I said christian intolerance is alive & well in this place. I have only lived in Texas for a little over a few yrs & it has been a really hard adjustment cause I have experienced it in a way I never did before.

E V E R Y T H I N G is centered around religion & I have mostly kept quiet about not believing so that I could fit in & make friends with my neighbors & co-workers. But it's hard...& just 1 of the reasons I can't wait to leave Texas behind.
I have had a somewhat similar experience here in Colorado Springs. Not as bad as you...but similar.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
All you do is make vague postings. You said it's a battle to keep religion out of our daily lives. But you offer not one suggestion on how to accomplish that. Have you nothing concrete to offer?
The comment was said in regard to people believing the battle is in the forum (against individuals). It was not to give you a basis to probe my life, identity, or involvement in the community in a public forum. Are you crazy?

Old 03-04-2019, 12:44 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
I’m not distancing myself from atheists - I am an atheist! I stand for (and encourage) independent thinking - even if it doesn’t align with mine. That’s the difference here; I have no desire to impose my disbelief on anyone else. Keep religion out of our private lives (that’s the battle) - ....
...and you don't see that keeping religion out of schools and government is effectively 'imposing your views' on those that don't wish to see religion removed from schools and government. Those of us that have been fighting for probably longer than you have lived have already removed religion from schools and governments so I ask you again, do you think we achieved that by asking the theists nicely if we could have it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism