Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 05:55 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Rational intellects are too quick to dismiss our other sensitivities beyond the normal sensory system. Disciplined and consistent meditation eventually enables a sufficient disconnect from our usual sensory system and allows us to sense other aspects of our reality not currently amenable to our senses and instruments. Don't write those off because you are only using 5% of reality to write off 95+% of the rest.
OK, well nobody will accuse me of being rational.

I KNOW that there's a portal to another dimension in my purse and that things go to "that place" for varying periods of time. I can be looking for something that I know is in my purse, and I'll dump it out and empty every damn pocket and what I'm looking for is gone. An hour later, or the next day, I open my purse, and there it is right on top.

But I digress...

Old 03-23-2019, 06:02 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Rational intellects are too quick to dismiss our other sensitivities beyond the normal sensory system. Disciplined and consistent meditation eventually enables a sufficient disconnect from our usual sensory system and allows us to sense other aspects of our reality not currently amenable to our senses and instruments. Don't write those off because you are only using 5% of reality to write off 95+% of the rest.

Kind of like when you take peyote? Alternative realities? Once after taking peyote, after the strychnine worked its way out of my systrm, I found myself sitting, with my white shepherd, on the edge of a great canyon. I felt the wind on my face and saw the birds circling and singing.

Was this real?

BTW: white shepherd was a pet canine, not a . . :-)

But odd experiences under the influence of hallucinogens does not diminish disdain for organized religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 06:08 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Kind of like when you take peyote? Alternative realities? Once after taking peyote, after the strychnine worked its way out of my systrm, I found myself sitting, with my white shepherd, on the edge of a great canyon. I felt the wind on my face and saw the birds circling and singing.

Was this real?
Are dreams?

Old 03-23-2019, 06:09 PM

63,773 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I KNOW that there's a portal to another dimension in my purse and that things go to "that place" for varying periods of time. I can be looking for something that I know is in my purse, and I'll dump it out and empty every damn pocket and what I'm looking for is gone. An hour later, or the next day, I open my purse, and there it is right on top.

But I digress...
LOL

Old 03-23-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Are dreams?
Are dreams real? No, not literally. I don't believe they are.

Is poetry "real?"

Old 03-23-2019, 06:16 PM

63,773 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:

Was this real?

BTW: white shepherd was a pet canine, not a . . :-)

But odd experiences under the influence of hallucinogens does not diminish disdain for organized religion.
The problem with substances that alter our mentation is that we are no longer sober and in control. That is why disciplined meditation is best. You retain sober control of your perceptions and your ability to evaluate the experiences. A detailed discussion of hallucinogens and other altered states like dreams would take us too far off topic, but a short answer is that some of the experiences are real and others are sourced in our subconscious. We do not disagree about organized religion and its potential for very negative impacts on people and society at large.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Are dreams real? No, not literally. I don't believe they are.

Is poetry "real?"
Of course.

As are dreams. Only different. Usually, unless maybe you're a dreaming poet.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:56 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

But I digress...
Is that the same one that is in my dryer where socks go?

Old 03-23-2019, 07:17 PM

Back to the OP: I think "gettin' God" has given many people a foothold on a ladder that might lead them out of their personal abyss. Many addicts, prisoners, and others whose lives for one reason or twenty have spun out of control and have "hit bottom" - embrace the power that hope can instill - whatever its source.

And nobody builds faith in an unseen/unknown god-thing without a heaping helping of hope.

So it's not at all difficult for me to understand how an all-loving, all-forgiving, all-understanding Jesus can be a beacon to one lost in the dark.

Last edited by TroutDude; 03-23-2019 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: Required a "be."

Old 03-23-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Back to the OP: I think "gettin' God" has given many people a foothold on a ladder that might lead them out of their personal abyss. Many addicts, prisoners, and others whose lives for one reason or twenty have spun out of control and have "hit bottom" - embrace the power that hope can instill - whatever its source.

And nobody builds faith in an unseen/unknown god-thing without a heaping helping of hope.

So it's not at all difficult for me to understand how an all-loving, all-forgiving, all-understanding Jesus can a beacon to one lost in the dark.
It *is* understandable. One would like them to get as much surety and pleasure and direction from, say, Bach and philosophy and architecture, but it doesn't work that way. Too many people don't have access to this facet of human culture, find those things culturally foreign and can't relate to or enjoy them. Sexual and racial stereotypes play a role, peer pressure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism