Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 02:22 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times

Advertisements

I don't go out of my way to listen to Christmas music, tbh. Some of the secular songs are pretty, though, like "White Christmas" and "I'll Be Home for Christmas," and some religious ones have gorgeous melodies like "O Holy Night."

I'm also one of the few people left in the world who isn't annoyed by "Last Christmas" by Wham!

There's also a song called "The Atheist Christmas Carol" by Vienna Teng that's quite nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 02:31 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I’m curious, how do atheists feel about Christmas songs/movies? Are you ok with this?
I really like a lot of Christmas music, although I have heard Little Drummer Boy and All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth as many times as I care to.

I tend to like instrumental versions the best.

I do get REALLY SICK of being beaten up with Christmas music in retail establishments, so I solve that problem by not buying anything except food from Thanksgiving to New Year.

As long as no one forces me to watch Christmas movies, I couldn’t care less about them.

Old 04-07-2019, 02:32 PM

88,513 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I don't think I know that one...

"Granpa got run over by a reindeer,
One foggy Christmas day.
He was yellin' and screamin' with the pain, dear,
stuck under Santa's sleigh,
We'll have to lift it off with a crane, here,
I heard a workman say.
When Granpa got run over by a reindeer
without a red nose to light the way."

Is that the one, or I am I thinking of another?
Another. You will be sorry you asked.

https://youtu.be/TfSb6J4jhcU

Old 04-07-2019, 02:46 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Another. You will be sorry you asked.

https://youtu.be/TfSb6J4jhcU
I didn't believe there was another one like it. Now I do.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:43 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
For what's played over and over in every store and far too many radio stations starting sometime late September or early October, no I don't like it.

Except some versions of Silent Night. I just love the melody.

Old 04-07-2019, 04:02 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

The worst is "Little Drummer Boy." I will leave a room to avoid having to hear that.
Aside from being annoying with the cloying melody and that stupid "pah-rum-pum-pum-pum" repeated ad nauseum, the song just doesn't make sense. I can see the Three Wise Guys bringing the Kid some gold, and the frankincense and myrrh have value. I can understand having singers to entertain Him, maybe some musicians playing harp or a flute of some kind. But a drummer? What kid needs some Mid-East Keith Moon hammering away beside him when he's trying to get some sleep or just relax?

Every time "Oh, Tannenbaum", gets played, I hear it as "Maryland, My Maryland" and think about "...the patriotic gore, that flecked the streets of Baltimore..."

Old 04-07-2019, 06:02 PM

88,513 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Aside from being annoying with the cloying melody and that stupid "pah-rum-pum-pum-pum" repeated ad nauseum, the song just doesn't make sense. I can see the Three Wise Guys bringing the Kid some gold, and the frankincense and myrrh have value. I can understand having singers to entertain Him, maybe some musicians playing harp or a flute of some kind. But a drummer? What kid needs some Mid-East Keith Moon hammering away beside him when he's trying to get some sleep or just relax?

Every time "Oh, Tannenbaum", gets played, I hear it as "Maryland, My Maryland" and think about "...the patriotic gore, that flecked the streets of Baltimore..."
But the last line is "then, he smiled at me..."

Maybe cuz he was glad it was over?

Old 04-07-2019, 06:37 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Plus the kid ain't exactly Buddy Rich. His entire repertoire is composed of "Ba-rump-a-bum-bum." The image I get is of some 2nd grade talent show where the audience cringes inside behind bogus smiles while some scared kid on stage bangs away on a drum. His parents are proud as punch, everyone else is politely tolerant.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:22 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Think yourself lucky folks. You could be living in Spain...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7hwhCfJG08

Old 04-08-2019, 05:20 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
i enjoyed that. No gringo by EU Law can ever knock Spanish music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism