Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 12:12 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It doesn't. I went off-topic along with Trans.

Bad Mod.
I am a Bad Influence. It is nice to know that my Bad Upbringing has not been in vain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 04:14 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I’m curious, how do atheists feel about Christmas songs/movies? Are you ok with this?
I have Mitch Miller's collection.

I have songs by Nat King Cole, Perry Como, Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin.

I don't know if you remember, but in the late 1960s early 1970s, K-Mart used to produce a Christmas album exclusively for K-Mart.

The one year they had Johnny Mathis, the Vienna Boys Choir (best arrangement of Little Drummer Boy I've ever heard), Steve somebody and Edie Gourmet, Jimmy Dean, Dean Martin and others. Every year was different big-name musicians, but same basic songs with different arrangements and they were fantastic.

Those albums were delightful and I'd do just about anything to get my hands on them.

The stuff I hear now sucks. I don't want anything to do with it.

As far as movies, I never liked any of them (except one), but I was keen on TV shows like Rudolph and the [original] Grinch and Charlie Brown.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:56 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
Like everything else in the USA, holiday music has falling standards of quality. For most of the year, store radio has bland music with long ad breaks. At holidays, the music may be worse than the ads. I take that as a suggestion to leave the store and shop somewhere quieter. Then I see news about dying retail.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:23 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

I don't know if you remember, but in the late 1960s early 1970s, K-Mart used to produce a Christmas album exclusively for K-Mart.

The one year they had Johnny Mathis, the Vienna Boys Choir (best arrangement of Little Drummer Boy I've ever heard), Steve somebody and Edie Gourmet, Jimmy Dean, Dean Martin and others. Every year was different big-name musicians, but same basic songs with different arrangements and they were fantastic.

Those albums were delightful and I'd do just about anything to get my hands on them.

As far as movies, I never liked any of them (except one), but I was keen on TV shows like Rudolph and the [original] Grinch and Charlie Brown.
For your listening pleasure. The Vienna Boys Choir Little Drummer Boy

https://youtu.be/LJHmvrkOSqU

It's Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gormet. He was her husband.

https://youtu.be/8JLmqCwWcQo

Old 04-17-2019, 10:47 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

https://youtu.be/LJHmvrkOSqU
Ja, Der jugende Kreigsmarine do it very well.

Quote:

https://youtu.be/8JLmqCwWcQo
Pretty well -dome churnemout Xmas (hapholtide) annual release. It just makes me prefer to have a celebration whenever there is a need, and not have one that marshalls the marks into saluting a particular political or religious flag and emptying their wallets.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:46 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
That's a different arrangement and it sucks.

Arranging is the art of taking a song and performing it differently. Listen to In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel and then listen to Jeffrey Gaines' version (Jeff's is better).

When Jo Stafford was with Paul Weston and Billie Holiday with Teddy Wilson, their songs were brilliant because Weston and Wilson knew how to arrange songs to bring out the best in the performer.

Quote:
Ah, good, it would have taken me months to figure out Steve's name.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:25 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Some of my favorites are from the Trans siberian orchestra

Carol of the Bells

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-E4vyrKsJs

Mad Russian's Christmas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P9xxJ4V7no

Old 04-17-2019, 04:45 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,053 times
Maybe this makes me a bad atheist, but Christmas is probably my favorite time of year, and I love Christmas music too. All kinds. Add in the movies and the lights, and it makes for an awesome time of year.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:06 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Charlie Brown reminds me...I have the wonderful “Charlie Brown Christmas” with the incomparable Vince Guaraldi...aaaaand Elvis’ first and best Christmas album (a wonderful mix of “Blue (blue blue blue) Christmas” and great gospel standards)...aaaaand “A Motown Christmas” and “A Phil Spector Christmas” and “Ella Fitzgerald Wishes You a Swinging Christmas.”

Jesus, that’s some great music.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:16 PM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Maybe this makes me a bad atheist, but Christmas is probably my favorite time of year, and I love Christmas music too. All kinds. Add in the movies and the lights, and it makes for an awesome time of year.
Me, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism