Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2019, 02:27 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
This is the mother of all strawmen in the universe.
Indeed? Please explain your claim or argument that it is misrepresenting (which is what a strawman fallacy is), and note that it does Not mean something that you just disagree with.

Quite apart from you simply ignoring that you blatantly misrepresented what your quote actually said. You are showing yourself a worthy apologist for the Church of Rome.

P.s .A straw man is a form of argument and an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent. One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man."

Theist apologists often think it just means 'a bad argument' (read 'One that i can't counter')

Old 04-22-2019, 02:29 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times
Quote:
The Catholic Church simply responded to the attacks from the Islamic world. Atrocities in medieval times when people were much less enlighten are not the same as atrocities in the 20th and 21st century.
The Catholic Church was happy to use military force against other Christians. If you spent more time studying history, your world view would not be so distorted. Look up the Albigensian Crusade. The Cathars were a direct challenge to papal authority, and had to be suppressed. Things haven't changed much. We still butcher people who challenge American authority.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I am 99.9% certain Isaac Newton was not an atheist.
He was not a Christian either. He kept his religion pretty close to the vest. He believed in a creator but rejected the deity of Christ or supernatural interference in worldly affairs. He would probably have been comfortable as a deist.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:36 PM

Ah, it's the same old excuse - anything good, let the church take the credit (even if it's invading other countries) anything bad, blame it on society - even if it's invading other countries. It's called 'double standards' and religion is seasoned in it.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:43 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,335,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Don't Lie...again...This is what you said

"All tribes invade others. But, in the end----------- in the year 2019 the civilizations that were based on Judeo Christian values did it better."

That is about invading better than others and not about best and most tolerant culture.

But, thanks for illustrating perfectly what i was saying - that military expertise is hardly in any way to be credited to religion. but to human ingenuity and technology. Yet here you are, claiming the credit for religion.
Then, I was not clear. So you are forgiven.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Then, I was not clear. So you are forgiven.
You saucy bugger. I wondered whether you might have been claiming that the Christian armies invaded with a deal more forbearance than heathen armies did, but if anything, you should apologise for being unclear, not me for not understanding you. In any case it makes no difference as progress in ethics even in war (for the reason we have ethics - reciprocity - we abide by the rules because we want the other side to do so) is nothing to do with religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
He was not a Christian either. He kept his religion pretty close to the vest. He believed in a creator but rejected the deity of Christ or supernatural interference in worldly affairs. He would probably have been comfortable as a deist.
He did work out the times in Daniel though. It looks like he believed the Bible. Also researched into Alchemy..not 'chemistry' under the name, but philosopher's stone stuff. I doubt that the church would have approved.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-22-2019 at 03:24 PM..

Old 04-22-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Without the Islamic world preserving Greek and Roman writings there probably would never had been an enlightenment. When your Catholic Church ruled we had the Medieval period which was not called the Dark Ages because they ran out of candles.

Do you have any evidence that Wicca, the Norse or Greek or native American religions did not have any social justice component in them? Or China under Confucius, or India prior to the not so justice British arrived?

The Islam Wold aL ready had its en lightened period.. it has been gone for a long time and it fact is constantly slipping into its own Dark Ages. Nothing to guarantee that if Christian fundamentalists get real power that they will gleefully take us into their own Dark Ages.

And you railed against one of the forces behind Catholic 0riests being social justice warriors, being Maxists. What your Church,along with the Anglican Church did in Canada residenta schools for first nations screams a total lack of compassion , fairness or love. That you are only willing to look at the positives under the RCC and compare that to the very worse done under Islam does not speak well of the true overall value of your Church. It is similar to defending Jeffery Dalmer by saying compared to Stalin and Hitler is was a very fine good man. No,compared to good fine men he was not a very fine man.
The Dark Ages were primarily caused by barbarian armies rampaging around Europe and destroying civilization. The Church protected itself by agreeing to support barbarian kings if they agreed to convert to Christianity. That was a political conversion of the nobility, but when churches were the only building left standing in a sea of rubble, becoming Christian was the safest path for the general population, including the invading armies.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:50 PM

372 posts, read 219,760 times
Quote:
If you grew up in a western nation YOU HAVE JUDEO CHRISTIAN VALUES. You just don't know it.
I just don't know it? How on earth could you possibly know of what I am aware, and far more important, to what degree I act on those values? EG I am pro choice and have been for decades. There's a lot more, starting with the Church's intractable position on women and their second class status in the church.

I've been a recovering Catholic for 50 years, an agnostic atheist for about half that time. I freely admit to being a 'cultural Catholic'. That's irrelevant to my atheism..

Do try not to patronise others when displaying your ignorance, it doesn't help you establish credibility.

Oh, I have a degree in Social Anthropology, so know a bit about Judaeo-Christian values.,** which I have studied in some depth

***a great example is Max Weber's "The Protestant Ethic And The Spirit of Capitalism" .Being an expert on Judaeo-Christian values, you've probably read such a famous book

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-22-2019 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: Replaced missing quote tag

Old 04-22-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
At the rate you guys are going pretty soon Mother Theresa and Saint Peter will be declared atheists.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Without the Islamic world preserving Greek and Roman writings there probably would never had been an enlightenment. When your Catholic Church ruled we had the Medieval period which was not called the Dark Ages because they ran out of candles.
Then you have to explain scholasticism, cathedra schools, and the creation of the University system in Europe (over 140 universities).

Quote:
Do you have any evidence that Wicca, the Norse or Greek or native American religions did not have any social justice component in them? Or China under Confucius, or India prior to the not so justice British arrived?
Early Christian Care for the Poor: An Alternative Subsistence Strategy under Roman Imperial Rule (Matrix: The Bible in Mediterranean Context) Paperback – August 3, 2018
by K. C. Richardson (Author)

The early Christians were very much dedicated to the poor. IN fact, many wealthy Christians would give away everything they had to live in poverty. Early Christianity was based on Social Justice. Just read the Sermon on the Mount.

Quote:
The Islam Wold aL ready had its en lightened period.. it has been gone for a long time and it fact is constantly slipping into its own Dark Ages. Nothing to guarantee that if Christian fundamentalists get real power that they will gleefully take us into their own Dark Ages.
People have a fetish about glorifying the 1% contribution of Islam. Yeas, they knew a bit of arithmetic, but this so-called enlightenment you mention is truly exaggerated to put Christianity down. And anyone who objects to this is labeled an islamophobe. Note how the term Christianophobe is never part of the vocabulary.

Quote:
It is similar to defending Jeffery Dalmer by saying compared to Stalin and Hitler is was a very fine good man. No,compared to good fine men he was not a very fine man.
That sounds like Christianophobia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.