Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2019, 05:44 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,333,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Quite.

We'd have a better chance of doing so if we didn't have 'atheists' like you and CC only wanting to hide in your corner playing with elastic bands and actively fighting against what we are trying do do.

Interesting too that you think we should be actively fighting Muslims but think that we shouldn't be doing the same with Christians.
You missed the memo: This is what i said in post No. 271:

Quote:
But, I am also a bit turned off by in your face Evangelical Christians. Maybe is the "in your face attitude". I would hate to live in the bible belt. I have a Mormon friend that was heavily put down by the Evangelicals.
Check it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 05:58 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,845,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

Check it out!
What does that have to do with you hiding in your corner whilst we 'New atheist' are out fighting the battle. If you are turned off by them then put your elastic band down, get off your arse and fight with us not against us. Being 'a bit turned off by in your face Evangelical Christians' isn't really doing much to prevent them. It's a bit like saying that you are 'a bit turned off by homophobia'...but doing sod all to fight it.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:02 AM

16,737 posts, read 4,961,112 times
Quote:
No one in the UK wants to be called a racist except Neil Farage, et al. Mostly everybody including the atheists want to be the good guy in the movie. The Islamists know this so they take advantage of the atheists with a fetish for multiculturalism. Will they stop this religious take over?
Fetish? Your need to poison the well is amusing. Perhaps atheists who have no problem with multiculturalism would have been a better phrase.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:49 AM

50,717 posts, read 24,232,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Probably. The problem rather is letting the religious right use fear of an Islamic inundation take over and their 9 year old daughters being burnoosed into some Corner -shop owner's harem to let them get power. Engagement is the way to get the muslims to understand what washes in the UK, not driving them onto the defensive.

The fact is that the majority are good people and the few Jihaddists were not much more than a few odd uns like the Norway shootist is no way typical of even Right wing Christianity.
However, just as most moderate christians don't speak out or actively oppose the religious right, neither do most moderate Muslims speak out or actively oppose the radical Islamists. And in both cases I find that worrisome. At best it gives the impression of acceptance, if not endorsement.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:

Check it out!
Oh gee. You're "turned off". That's gonna make a difference.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:12 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,006,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
However, just as most moderate christians don't speak out or actively oppose the religious right, neither do most moderate Muslims speak out or actively oppose the radical Islamists. And in both cases I find that worrisome. At best it gives the impression of acceptance, if not endorsement.
That's probably because most moderate/cultural Christians are working class people who do not the time or interest to go chasing after fringe elements and/or unicorns.

Use your political voice to combat whatever facets of society displease you instead of sounding like Eeyore and always blaming the next guy.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
That's probably because most moderate/cultural Christians are working class people who do not the time or interest to go chasing after fringe elements and/or unicorns.

Then they are part of the problem. After all they supposedly adore (literally) a man who was an activist.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
What does that have to do with you hiding in your corner whilst we 'New atheist' are out fighting the battle. If you are turned off by them then put your elastic band down, get off your arse and fight with us not against us. Being 'a bit turned off by in your face Evangelical Christians' isn't really doing much to prevent them. It's a bit like saying that you are 'a bit turned off by homophobia'...but doing sod all to fight it.
I am not an activist. You may be one, but it is not fair to expect others to be.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Fetish? Your need to poison the well is amusing. Perhaps atheists who have no problem with multiculturalism would have been a better phrase.
It is a figure of speech. Do not take the meaning of the word literally. It is part of the English language to put emphasis on a point. When I say "I am as tall as Mount Everest" it does not mean I am that tall.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:54 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,006,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Then they are part of the problem. After all they supposedly adore (literally) a man who was an activist.
You have a problem with blue-collar cultural/moderate Christians? And who are they supposedly adoring, whenever they have the leisure time to do so, besides Jesus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism