Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2019, 07:39 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

Thus the atheist position is often misunderstood - we are actually tolerant about both religions but we are nevertheless appealing to be to see that they are both false (1) and the accusations that we we go soft on Islam are simply wrong. And I am sure reflect a Christian bias. It attacks Atheism for not going after Islam perhaps because they see posts (2) that correct immoderate remarks about Islam, which may be seen as 'soft' on Islam, rather than seeing the truth as important, but more likely is simple attempt at misdirection. the 'why are you giving me a ticket for speeding - shouldn't you be catching murderers' fallacy.

I've been debating this with atheists and progressives in general for a number of years, and probably a majority of them (especially Americans) acknowledge that they are harder on Christianity than on other religions.

They even give an explanation: Christianity (especially the evangelical strain) has a much greater impact on American society than any other religion. This is especially true of the states in the South.

On this they kinda have a point. And Evangelical Christianity's influence can be said to be much more insidious - infiltrating schools, politics, etc. at least semi-subtly. It's not as spectacular as some psycho Islamist shooting up a bar full of gay people in Orlando, or driving a van through a crowd of pedestrians.

Another thing though is that for progressives, harsh criticism of Islam is too close for comfort to the left's immigration and racial sacred cows. Given where a huge proportion of Islam's followers come from, and what they look like.

That stigma is relatively absent from criticism of Christianity.

Last edited by Acajack; 07-05-2019 at 08:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 08:14 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Criticism of Christianity has its' own problems and Islam is a different one, especially in America where the problem is seen as a political one, not social. The social (indeed political) dominance of Christianity in the US is really, The point.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:43 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
Criticism of Christianity has its' own problems and Islam is a different one, especially in America where the problem is seen as a political one, not social. The social (indeed political) dominance of Christianity in the US is really, The point.
Islam and Christianity are just two religions based on mythology. However, there are some differences: Islam is stuck in medieval times and Christianity has moved moved ahead from Catholicism thru the Reformation, the Enlightenment, and now basically culture. Furthermore, islam is a theocratic system.

In other words Islam and Christianity are not in the same universe. Sure there are bad pockets of Christianity in the Bible belt of America but they are not suicidal bombers.

A critique of Islam is seen as islamophobia because Muslims are listed as a protected oppressed group in the intersectionality system. The intersectionality system is the bible and the sacred cow of many feminists and minorities. Hence they have no choice but to make Muslims a fellow victim in the intersectionality system.

OTOH, a critique on Christianity is applauded and celebrated all the time. There are many examples in this forum of people that defend Islam over Christianity consistently. Transponder may be the exception.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:11 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
It has been argued that Christianity went through a cultural advance whereas islam did not. I wouldn't disagree too vehemently with that. I have to say (again) that i am not aware of any defenders of Islam (other than Muslims, who will hear No Evil of it) and the only one I know of who has ever argued its' case against Christianity is me.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:23 AM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Islam and Christianity are just two religions based on mythology. However, there are some differences: Islam is stuck in medieval times and Christianity has moved moved ahead from Catholicism thru the Reformation, the Enlightenment, and now basically culture. Furthermore, islam is a theocratic system.

In other words Islam and Christianity are not in the same universe. Sure there are bad pockets of Christianity in the Bible belt of America but they are not suicidal bombers.

A critique of Islam is seen as islamophobia because Muslims are listed as a protected oppressed group in the intersectionality system. The intersectionality system is the bible and the sacred cow of many feminists and minorities. Hence they have no choice but to make Muslims a fellow victim in the intersectionality system.

OTOH, a critique on Christianity is applauded and celebrated all the time. There are many examples in this forum of people that defend Islam over Christianity consistently. Transponder may be the exception.
Yes, we agree, they are both based on mythology.

But have you actually read the Koran? I've read about half of it, and to say they are not in the same universe is just plain wrong. In many ways they parallel each other before finally veering away.

Anti-minority violence on the part of many chrsitian right groups may not be suicide bombings, but it's despicable and rooted in American history through organizations such as the Ku Klux Klan.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Anti-minority violence on the part of many chrsitian right groups may not be suicide bombings, but it's despicable and rooted in American history through organizations such as the Ku Klux Klan.
As despicable as it is, is this violence really being done in the name of Christ in any way, shape or form?

Some pages ago, a poster provided a list of allegedly "Christian" violent attacks and incidents. Most were labelled "Christian" simply on the assumption that the perpetrator was of Christian origin (at least). Usually of European stock.

But I am trying hard to think of many hate attacks that have been motivated by Christian fervour. I am sure there are some but they are very rare.

Stuff like the New Zealand, Quebec City and Breivik attacks weren't really Christianity-fuelled terrorism, even though they were horrible and symptomatic of the growth of subcultures with extremely sinister thoughts. But these guys certainly weren't out to use terror to put in place a Christian theocracy in their countries.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
It has been argued that Christianity went through a cultural advance whereas islam did not. I wouldn't disagree too vehemently with that. I have to say (again) that i am not aware of any defenders of Islam (other than Muslims, who will hear No Evil of it) and the only one I know of who has ever argued its' case against Christianity is me.
It's not so much defending Islam as it is about wanting to cut its practitioners as much slack as possible. If pressed, most of these people will begrudgingly admit that many tenets of Islam are problematic. Even if they generally try to avoid the topic at all costs.

As in "I think your beliefs are deathly wrong but I'll defend to the death your right to believe them".

Ironically, for many of the people who think this, under the extreme worst case scenario if those beliefs were to become the predominant ones where they live, it might actually become a question of life or death for them - in the case of gays and uppity feminist women in particular.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:19 AM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
As despicable as it is, is this violence really being done in the name of Christ in any way, shape or form?

Some pages ago, a poster provided a list of allegedly "Christian" violent attacks and incidents. Most were labelled "Christian" simply on the assumption that the perpetrator was of Christian origin (at least). Usually of European stock.

But I am trying hard to think of many hate attacks that have been motivated by Christian fervour. I am sure there are some but they are very rare.

Stuff like the New Zealand, Quebec City and Breivik attacks weren't really Christianity-fuelled terrorism, even though they were horrible and symptomatic of the growth of subcultures with extremely sinister thoughts. But these guys certainly weren't out to use terror to put in place a Christian theocracy in their countries.
I suggest you read this: https://voices.uchicago.edu/religion...ll-j-stephens/

Old 07-05-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Oh, I know the history. I just don't think that contemporary white nationalism/supremacism in the U.S. is primarily a religiously-driven thing.

Obviously there can be some overlap between Evangelical Christian groups and white whatever groups, but plenty of racist whites don't give a damn about religion.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:58 AM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Not necessarily a defender of Islam itself, but I have certainly been a defender of Muslims against the "they're all suicide bombers!" type of thinking that you and Julian hang onto.

I've explained pretty clearly several times why I do, but I obviously have a different perspective because of 9/11.

Not being unrealistic or dismissive of the real danger extremist Islam presents, but I also feel obligated to keep up the "judge people as individuals" song.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism